Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scissor doors, suicide doors, gullwing doors, or normal doors?

Which kind of door?

This is kinda stupid, but if you were given a chance to change the door configuration of your car, what would it be? Scissor, suicide, gullwing, dihedral gullwing (Saleen S7), dihedral syncro-helix actuation doors (Koenigsegg CCR), "swan-wing" doors (Aston Martin DB9), normal doors, or NASCAR style "window entrance"?

Me, the CCR doors are the coolest...but is hard to open in tight places, so scissor or swan
    Last edited by Gtek-i; 07-31-2006 at 11:43 PM.

sliding doors
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

On my car?

Normal by far.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Normal doors seem to do the trick just fine for me. It's a proven mechanism and it's lighter and takes up less space than the rest of 'em.

By the way, some of you newer members might not have seen the old "door types" thread. Take a look:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=18342

Holy crap!!! That's a lot of doors!

I like he scissor doors because Iwouldnt have to worry about opening my doors into another car. Also, they look ridiculous.

I think that for cool factor the jet canopy style sliding roof/door that saab had on it's concept car is the best!
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Scissor,Gullwing or dihedral syncro-helix actuation doors on a nice expensive sports/super car

on my parent's cars... normal thanks...

Dukes of Hazzard doors: In through the windows
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I have a soft spot for swan wing doors. I think the AMV8 is a better example of this than the DB9. The way they open upwards is very subtle but I think it's one of those things that'll make you smile before getting into the car

@2ndclass - Haha, genius. Many years ago me I played Dukes of Hazzard in my brothers Mini ... not as easy as getting out of a Charger

Swan wing or butterfly for an exotic, any sort of race car = no doors!!
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Swan wing or butterfly for an exotic, any sort of race car = no doors!!
    I was about to post a car with that concept, but you beat me to it...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

How is the DB9 swan winged? It's just like a normal door that opens upward at a slightly different angle from a normal door. I don't see anything special about it. To me it looks like it tried to be an upward swinging door but couldn't fit the mechanicals in the door so the engineers stopped and gave it a half assed job.

Well, I like my doors normal.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    How is the DB9 swan winged? It's just like a normal door that opens upward at a slightly different angle from a normal door. I don't see anything special about it. To me it looks like it tried to be an upward swinging door but couldn't fit the mechanicals in the door so the engineers stopped and gave it a half assed job.
    On low cars swang wing doors are preferable because then you don't hit the door on a kurb; instead it raises above the curb. A normal door hits curbs on low cars.

But then you may as well adopt the butterfly doors and maybe get a bit more headroom for when you enter and exit the car. Unless of course you take the GT40's approach
    I am the Stig

Thread Information