Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: christian fundamentalists

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    A court in Holland has just issued a verdict that a school is allowed to refuse access of a 16 year old boy. The school is based on traditional christian values, which a.o. include that girls are not allowed to wear jeans or long trousers in general.

You might ask what the reason was why the boy was refused? Well, his parents have TV and internet at home....

The judge verdict was based on the freedom of the school to sets its own rules, in spite of the fact that the parents support the general principals of the school.
    Here the Christian schools have TV in every room and give every kid a new laptop with wireless internet.

Strange.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    sorry love, but you can't have your cake and eat it.
    You can if you only eat half your cake.
    Thanks for all the fish

Yeh i went to a Catholic School as well and we all had computers, internet access...Although they where unbelieveably strict on attending chapel and sports (although yours truly never ever went) but thats a different matter....
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    Yeh i went to a Catholic School as well and we all had computers, internet access...Although they where unbelieveably strict on attending chapel and sports (although yours truly never ever went) but thats a different matter....
    I didn't go to a Catholic high school, but I just know they have them. They are also allowed to listen to iPods during class...and use their phones during class (silent text messaging)

Lucky...
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    I didn't go to a Catholic high school, but I just know they have them. They are also allowed to listen to iPods during class...and use their phones during class (silent text messaging)

Lucky...
    Yeh mine is a posh private school soo they let iPods etc be used in class...I dont know about normal state schools...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche

Lucky...
    I don't know what type of catholic school this is, but I'm made to work harder and longer than the average public school.

My parents pay good money for me to go there and I have an obligation to them and to myself to do well. Phones and iPods in class does not constitute a good job.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Odder than christian fundamentalists in many ways, see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

(if there are any mormon members on UCP, I don't mean to offend)
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 08-02-2006 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Odder than christian fundamentalists in many ways, see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

(if there are any mormon members on UCP, I don't mean to offend)
    Liar.
    "That's the first time I've been unhappy to have a bird on my face."

-Jenson Button after having a bird hit him during a preseason practice

well, i guess it's time to start opening Scientology schools.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

some updates.

Other students and even teachers of the school do have TVs at home, but the school has objections to the fact that the boy's 18 year old sister sometimes wears long trousers. The familiy at home also uses another Bible translation....

It is likely that the lawyer of the boy will appeal. To be continued...
    Why would anyone actually keep trying to go and associate with nuts like that? As with all religions the fear of having their followers actually use their own minds and find out things for themselves, even challenge the church’s dogma, drives those who are probably the worst abusers of their power to constantly try to suppress anything that threatens their existence. It amazes me how civilised countries whose governments ostensibly eschew censorship and allow certain levels of criticism to be aimed at them can indulge this clearly hypocritical behaviour from the various religions. Paradoxically the very thing that allows them to survive, freedom of expression, is the one thing they forbid themselves in so many cases.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Paradoxically the very thing that allows them to survive, freedom of expression, is the one thing they forbid themselves in so many cases.
    Which is exactly the point why I openend the thread in the first place. Our legal system allows them to set the rules that they can execute at their own discretion.
    There was a nice legal breakthrough last year when the state support/subsidy to one of the political parties was withdrawn. This was done because of the fact that women were not allowed to become party members, was considered to be in breach of our equal rights laws. Of course the male members of the party stated that their women had absolutely no interest in becoming party members, but that was not the issue. The first reaction was that the members were wealthy enough to compensate for the loss of the subsidy, but in the end as money was not forthcoming, the party had to change their regulations and re-apply for state support.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Here's something crazy for you guys. Two days ago my girlfriend's dad (super super christian) found out that her sister (18 years old) had been screwing her boyfriend. He told her to pack her stuff and get out of the house, and he said he never wanted to talk to her again. She now lives with a friend.
    Ok, some aspects of religion may be good to live by, for example the seven commandments are smart. But for anyone to hold their values and beliefs higher than their own children, that's where I'm lost. How can anyone be so ridiculous that they would go so far as to disown their daughter for a choice that she's made as a girl of 18yo. This is not a crime is it? These people are blinded by something that isn't even proven real (no offense to the "saved ones" here) and they are willing to live by it at all costs, even if it means saying goodbye to a family member for something so pathetic. Sometimes I just don't know what to think of the world and the people in it anymore. I despise religion. Now more than ever before.

Henk4 what do you have to say?
    Last edited by DesmoRob; 08-07-2006 at 01:43 AM.

If the father had told the daughter in advance of the consequences of her act then she knew what she was going to be up to. If however he only decided on this afterwards he is not fit to be a parent. I think the latter happened as talking about sex in these circles is already a no-go.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If the father had told the daughter in advance of the consequences of her act then she knew what she was going to be up to. If however he only decided on this afterwards he is not fit to be a parent. I think the latter happened as talking about sex in these circles is already a no-go in these circles.
    Well they were given promise rings when they were little, saying that they wouldn't have sex until marriage. There was no what if. This was a shock to everyone. What's ironic is that her parents started having kids at age 17 and 18, by accident of course. Her father was also a druggy and dealer. It seems like he's taking out his anger for his own mistakes. But I just don't get that a person can't choose for themselves at 18 years old what they want to believe and value.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    Well they were given promise rings when they were little, saying that they wouldn't have sex until marriage. There was no what if. This was a shock to everyone. What's ironic is that her parents started having kids at age 17 and 18, by accident of course. Her father was also a druggy and dealer. It seems like he's taking out his anger for his own mistakes. But I just don't get that a person can't choose for themselves at 18 years old what they want to believe and value.
    in short, converts are the worst.....

Thread Information