Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhausts....

Exhausts....

hI,
    Just wondering why that here in Australia we are banned from having exhausts that come out of the side of the car as as far as i can see there is no real danger in having the exhaust coming out from the side i only bring this up as i believe that it looks much better. thanx

Cos it blasts exhaust fumes in the faces of pedestrians more than a rear mounted exhaust p'raps
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

You mean that a car like the Mercedes SLR McLaren is banned from Australia ?

Seems strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilPaladin

Seems strange to me.
    Strange? Nah... the Aussies have good taste in cars, that's all
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by EvilPaladin

Seems strange to me.
    Don't know about the SLR McLaren but the Viper for Europe lost the side exit exhaust and had a tamer rear pipe fitted

Imagine for a second you're a kiddie in a push chair in a city where your mummy shops Now tell me that side exit is OK !!

Personally I don't think the USA have the same concern as people and cars don't mix as much as in Europe
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

And what about walking just behind one of those GM Firebird concepts ?

As for the original question, i think its just a matter of the Australian Design Rules (ADR's), same as the ADR's prohibit you from fitting a shaker scoop to Falcon's made after 1971 or something like that.

With the Viper, the 25 first generation versions that we got as far as i know only had the RHD conversion doen in Victoria. Soon we'll be getting the new Vipers imported through Chrysler Australia on a special order basis to try and get the price cut below $200K
    I am the Stig

Well their is the issue of fumes and the safety issue of burning ones self on them....if its part of the cars oe equipment you can use it...but if you look closly at such cars as cobra replicas youll find its exaust is usually fake with it really going out the back Also rules here stipulate that the exaust must exit behind the last windoe that can be rolled down...so on utes XBs,monaros you can have the exaust exit just behind the doors....

Side exhausts

I was driving along the crowded freeways in western Europe where I was surprised to find that many large trucks had their exhaust outlets pointing right at the passenger window of my rental car. The effect was horrendous (on my passenger).

And while I'm at it...

Why do rice-burner drivers always put an exhaust outlet on their cars that they can fit their head into? Bigger is not better.

There is a point at which exhaust diameter exceeds optimal gas flow. The bigger it gets beyond this point, the slower it goes.

Gas flow potential is doubled when a pipe diameter is increased by just 25%. The bigger the pipe, the slower the flow. The slower the flow, the higher the specific pressure.

Unless you're increasing your engine's volumetric efficiency by 400%, then you won't get better performance by doubling your exhaust diameter.

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by hangdog98
    Why do rice-burner drivers always put an exhaust outlet on their cars that they can fit their head into? Bigger is not better.

There is a point at which exhaust diameter exceeds optimal gas flow. The bigger it gets beyond this point, the slower it goes.
    Ahh, but you've missed the crucial point on 99% of these cars.....

It is only the last 4 inches where a fat pipe has been stuck on !!
    It's all about form, not function
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by hangdog98
    I was driving along the crowded freeways in western Europe where I was surprised to find that many large trucks had their exhaust outlets pointing right at the passenger window of my rental car. The effect was horrendous (on my passenger).
    You need to drive faster

Seriously, it has always amazed me that we don't adopt the American long-time approach of tall pipe stacks. Of course THAT jsut means it's now in the face of all those passengers on the top deck of British busses

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    You need to drive faster

Seriously, it has always amazed me that we don't adopt the American long-time approach of tall pipe stacks. Of course THAT jsut means it's now in the face of all those passengers on the top deck of British busses
    I guess that's why we aren't concerned with it, no double decker buses.
    2005 Victory Red Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab
    2002 Concord Purple Harley Sportster 883XLC

"I think the Vietnam war is nothing more than the white people sending the black people to fight the yellow people in order to secure a nation stolen from the red people"-Anonymous

UCP's Biggest Chevrolet Corvette fan.

Thats what I was speakin about to my friends a couple of days ago, apparantly, if you have a car manufactured before a certain date and it has side exhaust/s, then you can leave it, its legal.

I guess thay have lots of reasons for these unusual rules, but maby they should take it easy.

when you think of it there aint that many cars which have side exhaus, and those that have changing it isnt that much of a problem.

It doest bother me.
    But if i bought a SLR McLaren, i would want it to be original, i would hate to have to play around with it like that.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

I used to run the gauntlet from the heat trying to defect my poor little old HQ Monaro with pipes that came out behind the rear wheel, (it was the fashion then , and I had a mullet) yet I got gassed regular like by trucks (lorries for Matra) with mufflers laying flat across the front of the front wheels and exiting straight out the side behind the bumper. Didnt sound as good as my V8 either.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information