Thread: (Partially) New X5

(Partially) New X5

August 9, 2006
    BMW reveals all-new X5
    It's the 4x4 that put the 'sport' into sport utility vehicle and now the new BMW X5 is looking to improve on the 'utility' part of the equation.

The new X5 is BMW's first ever car with three rows of seats, sporting a pair of foldaway chairs in the boot to help the X5 compete against the likes of the Volvo XC90 and Land Rover Discovery.

The optional third-row seats are accommodated by a 190mm body stretch and 60mm widening of the new X5 compared with the old model.

BMW has also used the extra size to include a 200-litre boot when the third row seats are in place.

Do without the rear-most seats and there's a 90-litre hidden storage compartment under the boot floor.

Up-front, the dash mimics the 5-Series' and follows BMW current 'wave' design.

In the centre console, the X5 now has i-Drive but with eight shortcut buttons to save scrolling through menus on the dash-top screen. This screen can also be used with the optional rear-parking camera.

Amid all of this practicality, BMW has not forgotten to make the X5 superb to drive, and there's the firm's latest petrol and diesel engines under the bonnet.

Petrol power is taken care of by a 272bhp 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine or the 4.8-litre V8 with 355bhp.

The V8 sees off 0-62mph in just 6.5 seconds, while the 3.0si model is no slouch either with an 8.1-second time.

The 3.0-litre turbodiesel is only fractionally slower from 0-62mph than its petrol counterpart, clocking 8.3 seconds, and it uses the same new six-speed gearbox as the petrol motors.

The diesel is set to be the big seller of the range, and its 231bhp and 32.5mpg economy make it a wise choice.

All new X5s can top 130mph, but to do this buyers will have to choose the Dynamic Package, although BMW is yet to release details of what this is.

Other firsts for the X5 in its class include run-flat tyres and a head-up display that projects essential information onto the windscreen in the driver's line of sight.

The new X5 hits UK roads in the spring of 2007 and prices are expected to be a little higher than for the current models.
    Courtesy of Top Gear
    Pics here: http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1009/
    Notice the new headlights? Makes it look just a bit more like the horrible X3.
    Although I do like the prestige looking read lights
    All about the t-tops

For me...it looks like a big X3..
    What's this for?

At least, this X5 is better looking than the current X5. The current BMW X5 is so ugly and disgusting (I know that is an obvious statement).
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

I like the current X5...that's just a fat X3

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    I like the current X5...that's just a fat X3
    Agree looks more plastic..and that rear, throw it away.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

It looks crap compared to the current generation. BMW never ceases to disappoint me these days.

let this be a lesson to all: dont mess with perfection.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Thats sooo ugly but it doesnt seem to matter these days...BMW's are still selling like hot cakes regardless of their 'challenging' looks, it shows how much the badge means to consumers...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Thread Information