Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1000 bonus for gas conversion

$1000 bonus for gas conversion

THE State Government will double its liquefied petroleum gas subsidy for motorists converting family cars to gas in the wake of crippling fuel prices.

Premier Alan Carpenter said the Government would provide $1000 towards each LPG conversion for at least the next four years, following a review of the six-year-old scheme that until now has provided a $500 subsidy.

Mr Carpenter said many WA motorists were paying more than $100 a week for petrol.

``This subsidy will allow motorists to at least consider (converting their cars to gas) because there are no signs the price for petrol will come tumbling down,'' he said.

``The potential savings of using LPG are becoming bigger and bigger.

``A major issue in our economy is the price of petrol.

``We have an alternative (fuel) in LPG from our own gas reserves.

``We have abundant volumes of gas here in WA and we'd be crazy not to use it.''''

LPG is substantially cheaper than petrol and produces 20 per cent less greenhouse gases.

Under the subsidy scheme owners of family vehicles are eligible to receive the $1000 subsidy for either the conversion of an existing vehicle or the purchase of a new vehicle fitted with an LPG system.

Most taxis in WA run on LPG.

Mr Carpenter said the benefits of LPG to WA highlighted the need to put aside some of the state's offshore gas reserves for domestic use.

Mr Carpenter said countries like Japan, Korea, China, the US and India were lining up to buy WA gas.A lack of competition between coal and gas could see the price of electricity become two or three times dearer.

`` We have to make sure we have secure gas supplies,'' Mr Carpenter said.

``What is happening is that overseas buyers are looking at the way the gas price is going and the growth and demand of their own economies and are signing up gas volumes in long-term contracts when they become available.

``There is the prospect for WA that there will be no gas available for the domestic market because all of it is contracted for sale in the international market.

``We can't allow that scenario to happen.''

He said WA gas producers owed it to WA to look after the domestic market.

``The whole industry in WA was based on the people of this state guaranteeing to buy the gas in the first place,'' he said.
    All about the t-tops

To most people they'd be better off just dropping the damn tax on petrol. The average gas conversion is still around $3K so thats still leaves the majority of the installation costs to be recouped and only really helps those seriously considering gas.
    I am the Stig

Also you have to remember that the government is going to start taxing LPG over the next couple of years, and once they do, it's probably not going to be any cheaper to run a car on LPG than petrol.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Also you have to remember that the government is going to start taxing LPG over the next couple of years, and once they do, it's probably not going to be any cheaper to run a car on LPG than petrol.
    That tax starts in 2009 I think. They will add 2.5c / l each year, capped at 12.5c (so for 5 years straight it will increase). it will still be cheaper than petrol.

But what I hate is those people who do save up more money to buy an SS, or a WRX in my case, there is no way I would convert to LPG. Defies the point of getting a performance car IMHO.

With the right sort of injection system you can get the same performance from LPG though, same as you should be able to get more performance out of ethanol than petrol supposedly.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    With the right sort of injection system you can get the same performance from LPG though, same as you should be able to get more performance out of ethanol than petrol supposedly.
    Ethanol fuel usually has the same RON as performance fuel so that's where the added performance comes from, being able to advance the timing
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

stupid government they take a lot of money of us why cant me have a government like in Saudi Arabia where they have no taxes on anything
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Taxes pay for things we need...
    Hospitals for example? Everything with government funding is taxes!
    All about the t-tops

well how do they pay for stuff like that in saudi arabia
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    Hospitals for example? Everything with government funding is taxes!
    No? Really?
    – Hunter Thompson

^^ I didn't deserve that!

I don't know! You posted it.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by acemotorsport
    oil I think
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

THE State Government will double its liquefied petroleum gas subsidy for motorists converting family cars to gas in the wake of crippling fuel prices.

Premier Alan Carpenter said the Government would provide $1000 towards each LPG conversion for at least the next four years, following a review of the six-year-old scheme that until now has provided a $500 subsidy.

Mr Carpenter said many WA motorists were paying more than $100 a week for petrol.

``This subsidy will allow motorists to at least consider (converting their cars to gas) because there are no signs the price for petrol will come tumbling down,'' he said.

``The potential savings of using LPG are becoming bigger and bigger.

``A major issue in our economy is the price of petrol.

``We have an alternative (fuel) in LPG from our own gas reserves.

``We have abundant volumes of gas here in WA and we'd be crazy not to use it.''''

LPG is substantially cheaper than petrol and produces 20 per cent less greenhouse gases.

Under the subsidy scheme owners of family vehicles are eligible to receive the $1000 subsidy for either the conversion of an existing vehicle or the purchase of a new vehicle fitted with an LPG system.

Most taxis in WA run on LPG.

Mr Carpenter said the benefits of LPG to WA highlighted the need to put aside some of the state's offshore gas reserves for domestic use.

Mr Carpenter said countries like Japan, Korea, China, the US and India were lining up to buy WA gas.A lack of competition between coal and gas could see the price of electricity become two or three times dearer.

`` We have to make sure we have secure gas supplies,'' Mr Carpenter said.

``What is happening is that overseas buyers are looking at the way the gas price is going and the growth and demand of their own economies and are signing up gas volumes in long-term contracts when they become available.

``There is the prospect for WA that there will be no gas available for the domestic market because all of it is contracted for sale in the international market.

``We can't allow that scenario to happen.''

He said WA gas producers owed it to WA to look after the domestic market.

``The whole industry in WA was based on the people of this state guaranteeing to buy the gas in the first place,'' he said.
    I know this may sound stupid but I don't like LPG. It is twice as dangerous. I'd rather get a Hybird car(although they've got no guts).
    Join V8SuperChat NOW!
    http://vee-eight.super-forum.net

Hospitals for example?
    That is a bit of a question mark the way the hospitals are going unfortunately...

What ive always thought funny was if taxes are supposed to go towards services and all that sort of stuff, then why do people get so much back on their tax returns.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    What ive always thought funny was if taxes are supposed to go towards services and all that sort of stuff, then why do people get so much back on their tax returns.
    Your tax return is the discrepancy between how much tax you paid and how much you should have paid. So if you get a big tax return back, that means you paid more tax than you should've. Also, your tax return is when you make deductions. You don't always get money back at tax time, you can end up owing as well.
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information