Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VE sporties to kill HSV?

VE sporties to kill HSV?

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/car-review/1897432.aspx

Words - Joe Kenwright

Holden’s sporting VEs will be Australia’s fastest ever production cars. So does that signal the end to HSV?

There is little doubt that the new VE Commodore will set new safety, performance and engineering benchmarks for a locally-produced full-sized passenger car. And the new sporty models Holden will debut this Sunday to anchor the range’s user-chooser sales will raise the performance bar even beyond current HSV models. So is this the end for the lion’s go-fast arm?

Upping the ante further presents a huge challenge for HSV. Delivering a new VE-based range that will command a premium over the factory VE models won’t be easy. But there's little question that HSV will play a large role is Holden's global plans for VE. And if you consider various developments and changes the Clayton (Vic) based organisation has made over the last 12 months, the path forward is clear.

TOP SHELF APPOINTMENTS
    The recruitment of former Rolls-Royce engineering chief Phil Harding as HSV’s managing director provides an insight into the elite engineering and presentation levels now required to create some ‘air’ between HSV and comparable Holden models.

The loss of the Monaro body will force HSV to present its VE range as a worthy replacement and substitute for its Z-series GTO models at home and in certain export markets.

Without a stylish two-door body with which to distinguish a GTO replacement, the HSV range will be more often benchmarked against the current crop of premium performance sedans. These include the Chrysler 300C range and the premium Europeans which continue to gain ground in Australia. Expect the HSV range to highlight the rakish four-door coupe style of the VE body.

HSV has recently been criticized for over-production which resulted in its premium models discounted below the retail price of the Commodore SS at the start of 2006. To counter this, several superficial limited editions were rushed out in an attempt to individualise its Z-series mainstream production but the damage had been done.

With residual values critical to a HSV purchase, CarPoint believes that a cornerstone to HSV’s VE marketing will be to maintain exclusivity within the Australian market and generate extra volume through exports and additional models.

IN THE ENGINE ROOM
    Holden traditionally introduces new engines one model series before an all-new model so that engineers don’t have to confront the major development issues together. HSV’s Z series introduced the new LS2 engine from the Corvette C6 but in a lower state of tune than the previous LS1 (after it was fitted with a more restrictive exhaust).

Previous Holden management made it clear that 300kW was the sensible limit for the VT-VZ platform hence LS2 power output was restricted to 297kW. That arbitary limit no longer applies.

To maintain current HSV performance levels with the VE’s expected extra 100kg, HSV must improve LS2 output without upping capacity (5967cc). However, fuel consumption is now kicking in as an issue even in performance circles.

CarPoint believes that HSV will use exhaust tweaks to boost power to 305-312kW and the current 530Nm torque figure will rise to around 542-550Nm. Further performance and economy gains will be generated by software and driveline improvements.

And as for a rival to FPV’s F6 in-line six cylinder turbo range? Off the agenda -- the all-aluminium LS2 engine does not suffer from the same weight and fuel economy issues as FPV’s Boss 290 and offers superior performance. A hot turbo version of Holden’s Alloytech V6 does not have the same potential to provide unique performance increments, economy or handling balance over an upgraded HSV LS2.

A NEW GTS
    When the GTS was dropped with the Z series, then HSV marketing chief, Chris Payne made it clear that the model would not reappear until it could bring a substantial lift in performance, handling and braking over other models.

There continues to be persistent rumours that HSV has been working on a GTS powered by the 7-litre LS7 as introduced in the Corvette Z06 series. This monster 377kW/637Nm engine was never a possibility in the previous Z series, however, the advanced VE platform is another issue -- especially when it could share export showrooms wearing a Chevrolet badge as a premium four-door alternative to the donor Corvette.

This engine is not cheap and demands serious driveline upgrades. The potential for controversy over power figures would be offset by the added safety and weight of the new range and marketing the new VE GTS as a highly exclusive, limited edition $100,000 plus model.

It is believed that this is HSV’s first preference but there are interim capacities between six and seven litres if availability and pricing becomes a problem. Expect the hi-po GTS to be previewed at the 2007 Melbourne Motor Show and to be earmarked for certain European and Middle Eastern export markets.

GEARING UP
    Until now, HSV has been forced to take a backseat in the area of independent transmission development.

No HSV auto model has yet been fitted with a sequential manual selection function when Tickford and FPV rivals have offered this feature since early AU days. GM’s crude four-speed auto has not done any favours to any HSV model and only approached acceptability when Pontiac GTO upgrades were applied to HSV’s Z-series.

The Tremec T56 six-speed manual was equally lack-lustre in most HSV models and again only reached acceptability with the M12 upgrade from the GTO in the Z-series.

The VE will mark an opportunity to further tailor the manual M12 or derivative to HSV’s application for further refinement. HSV is under some pressure to be the first to introduce a race-style sequential shift for the manual transmission. At best, this may be offered as a “sports shift” option or reserved for the GTS.

The auto, however, will be the latest GM six-speed and will feature some form of manual shift function for the first time. Expect HSV to present such a feature in line with its motorsport links.

MAGNETIC ATTRACTION
    The VE also marks the end of the days when HSV could restrict suspension travel then firm up the bushes, springs and shockers to hide the geometry compromises in the factory Commodore.

Now that FPV suspension virtually matches the equivalent Ford XR spec, it shows what happens when the factory gets it right. HSV is not in a position to further tighten up VE suspension and lose refinement when the VE starting point (and benchmark opposition) will be so good.

HSV has been quite open about its aim to match the refinement of its best rivals while maintaining the benchmark track performance of its wild Dealer Team Spec (DTS) using the one suspension. There is only one way it can do this.

There have been persistent reports that local suppliers have been gearing up to build Delphi MagneRide technology into the top-spec VE damper units.

This technology uses a damper fluid filled with tiny ferrous particles that respond to different levels of an electro-magnetic field. Depending on how these particles are aligned by the magnetic force, they can change the viscosity of the fluid (and hence the damping characteristics) in an instant.

Unlike conventional adjustable dampers which rely on restricting fluid flow, this system reacts in an instant and doesn’t introduce harshness when damper valving remains as tuned for that suspension.

Whereas HSV’s rarefied and expensive Ohlins adjustable suspension made sense only to track-orientated owners, the Magneride system can make an instant and noticeable difference in all road conditions. It has a low current draw, fits in the same space as conventional dampers and requires only sensors and a control unit to operate.

HSV has the opportunity to be the first local to lift its range into rarefied Ferrari, Corvette and Audi TT territory with this technology. Expect it to be fitted from ClubSport R8 level but don’t be surprised if HSV uses it as a point of distinction in all models.

A NEW FACE
    Remember when HSV said at the Coupe4 launch that it would rely increasingly on sheet metal changes to distinguish HSV models? VE is the first opportunity to do this and the success of the VZ Monaro bonnet vents and VZ SS side vents have prompted both Holden and HSV to go further down this track.

VE is also the first HSV model range to be prepared by HSV’s own local design studio when previously this vital work was sub-contracted with mixed results. Plastic add-ons now belong to another market niche and the new Walkinshaw Performance hot shop, a sister company to HSV, intends to be in the front seat with VE body add-ons.

This leaves HSV to find different ways of distinguishing the VE range. Already exposed are the major sheet metal tweaks in the front guards with the large Range Rover/Jaguar-style vertical gills. There is an opportunity to match these in the rear guards on upper levels.

Expect not only more aggressive detailing but look for more embedded changes that will be harder for backyarders to replicate. Different exhaust treatments with the VE’s fuel tank moved ahead of the rear axle will be exquisite.

Expectations inside the cabin have risen so strongly that HSV’s cheap looking add-ons and gauges will no longer be enough. Again, the changes will be more far-reaching and classier. There will still be an aggressive performance edge to the graphics but quality will be the primary focus.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

maybe finally HSV will turn to weight reduction
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Are these articles really necessary? I mean that first sentence, was the person who wrote that high? Or just really stupid? And as for the rest of it, well no shit sherlock, did ya figure that out all own your own?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

He might be on weed But i think he is dum

The best thing to read in there was HSV will need to lift there game now and more on the refined quality side as much as going performance which is there trade mark.
    They have got a look more to play with it seems this time.
    I hope it means if HSV is lifting it's game hard i hope that means because holden has to and it has passed the Z Series. But time will tell again.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    maybe finally HSV will turn to weight reduction
    I'd be surprised if they could do it whilst sticking to all the criteria or whatever for each model. The basic structure probably wont be able to have weight taken out of it, as like the BA, will probably have alot of weight added for safety and stiffness. That leaves the interior and such. They could try come up with lightweight panels and such, which might be good for a few kilo's, but if they start bothering about removing sound deadening and only providing the most basic of interior plastics, then the whole interior experience becomes harsh. Thats only really worth it on another DTS or the like, where neither interior comfort or suspension need to be overly compromised for day to day.
    I am the Stig

They will plenty of weight reduction for me

THE GTS IS BACK! i hpoe the new HSV series will not be heavy
    [QUOTE=Mr. Jinx] The Coupe4 is ejaculatory material! [/QUOTE]

VE in general will be heavy
    I am the Stig

Is the VE the same platform as the planned GM "zeta" platform or whatnot?

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    Yes.
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    VE is zeta Zeta is VE. In the End VE, Zeta = Holden

I wish i had a $1 for everytime i have seen that question

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    VE is zeta Zeta is VE. In the End VE, Zeta = Holden
    I couldn't have said it better

Zeta is Holden's masterpiece...GM came in and made it global...then they dropped it...then they decided to make it global again
    Last edited by adrenaline; 07-13-2006 at 11:47 PM.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    I couldn't have said it better

Zeta is Holden's masterpiece...GM came in and made it global...then they dropped it...then they decided to make it global again
    It's funny many others might not get us but we get each other

feck me a GTS over $100K and possibly 370KW + what a mother of a car! Haha im a blue oval man myself, but I wouldnt mind having a joyride in one of those I can tell you that!
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

dropping the LS7 into the ve sounds like speculation atm.

Reminds me of the monaro 427, which if memory serves didn't make it to production
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Thread Information