Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Lancer evolution MR

jeez now i have to wait till that one comes out before i go get a evo. things are just pushing me back that looks like a sweet ride, add a cf hood and you're all set

$33,000 for a 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds!?!?!?!?!? That's crazy!!!!

I don't really get why the gearbox is limited? This car is for RACING!
    Probably the only UCP member without a car D:

a more realistic 0-60 time is probably 5 seconds flat at best if you dont drop the clutch, i believe the gsr is 5.1 or 5.2 (cant remember)
    by dropping the clutch you're able to hit the "sweet spot" right away but as you can imagine its bad for the car as it puts unnesecarry (cant spell) stress on part, by doing so you can probably shave off a a couple of tenths of a second but its really not worth it

the 4.3 second time is rather unrealistic because the mr version is almost identical to the gsr version with the exception of a 300 pound cut in curb weight (the acd and ayc dont do anything in a strait line, dont argue with me the gain is so narrow u'd need an atomic clock to find the difference in times)

in order to get a 4.3 second to 60 time you'ld need a significant increase in torque and hp and probably a new clutch and transmission, not the use of the word probably. i have never driven the evo and probably never will but from what i know the transmission ratios are short and any increase in power will lower the time spent in each gear minimizing the advantage it presents

MR stand for mitsubishi racing

i think it has less wieght same GTO MR

this crazy car

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    a more realistic 0-60 time
    I think 4.3 is reasonable...the current model does 4.5 or 4.6? 300 lbs less and 30 more HP could bump it up a little. Plus revised gear ratios will help a lot. I know one of the two (Sti or Evo) had to shift before hitting 60, which seriously cut it's time. I can't for the life of me remember which. In addition, the active center differential will indeed help it's accelerative abilities...no wheelslip means quicker RTs and quicker times. Will an active make a significant difference over a limited slip? I don't know, but ask any Rally team....they all use active differentials instead of mechanical...except for Mitsu on their new car (explain that??).
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

The problem with the previous EVO WRC was that it was becoming too complex.
    Whenever something was uprated, the modifications were built one over the other, and in the end the solutions were too complicated and compromised.

Mario Fornaris, Mitsubishi's Technical director, said that he wants to build a simple car at first, to understand completely how it works, before deciding on the best solutions for more performance.

As a result the new WRC car is rather basic. The gearbox is a normal 5 speed, not sequential, and the differentials are passive components.
    Thanks for all the fish

I'd still drive it.

You know, I must admit I am rather disappointed. I saw MR in the title and it got my hopes up....thoughts of a 300bhp AWD Midengine lancer floated through my head....
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    I think 4.3 is reasonable...the current model does 4.5 or 4.6? 300 lbs less and 30 more HP could bump it up a little. Plus revised gear ratios will help a lot. I know one of the two (Sti or Evo) had to shift before hitting 60, which seriously cut it's time. I can't for the life of me remember which. In addition, the active center differential will indeed help it's accelerative abilities...no wheelslip means quicker RTs and quicker times. Will an active make a significant difference over a limited slip? I don't know, but ask any Rally team....they all use active differentials instead of mechanical...except for Mitsu on their new car (explain that??).
    its not 4.6 or 4.5 its 5.1
    u cant take the numbers they give u at face value, in real world conditions and u dont want to burn up the clutch, u cant get under 5 with the standard gsr
    the mr shed not 300 pounds more like 241 or something, compare the curb weights
    it didnt get 30 hp more its the same ( still the limited 280 ), the torque band was just improved a bit to give more low end oomph

On a personal note, this car is amazing, although the numbers dont reflect it how amazing it really is. Last year's fq300 beat a lambo on the top gear test track, doing this in a 300 hp car is an achievement in itself but now, WOAH. Mitsubishi has raised the bar again, let's hope they can redeem themselves in the WRC.
    Last edited by KnifeEdge_2K1; 05-07-2004 at 04:34 PM.

so what you're saying is....every car out there is .5 seconds slower than everyone says it is? Then who cares?
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

i never said every car
    in THIS case. THIS car, isn't as fast as it claims to be, go look at any auto mag that has done a road test on this and they'll agree with me. You can't just take ONE stat from ONE source and claim it is the correct one, you must look at all of them or else you're not getting the FACTS.

Question

uh....i thought this was a new model? how can so many independant testers have reviewed it? Maybe I don't know sh.t about lancers (i don't). I thought the point of a 0-60 time in any car was to abuse the hell out of it in order to get the fastest time, whatever it takes. You think they gingered it in an enzo? I'm a little bit confused as to what separates this car from others in such a test.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

The MR (Mitsubishi Racing) version of the EVO VIII is a Japanese-model only, therefore will also be available in the UK and certain parts of Europe,and is not offered for sale in the United States. The MR package includes:

* Quicker Response Bilstein Dampers
    * Forged Aluminum Wheels
    * Aluminum Roof Panel
    * Improved 4WD system, ADC, & Super AYC Traction Control
    * Sport ABS
    * Improved Engine Torque Curve
    * Improved Control at High Speed Limits
    * Lowered Center of Gravity
    * Refined Neutral Roll Characteristics

Lancer Evolution VIII MR uses slick-response Bilstein shocks for improved handling. The aluminum roof panel and other reductions in body weight have lowered the center of gravity to realize more natural roll characteristics. Detail improvements have also been made to Mitsubishi’s own electronic all-wheel drive, to the ACD 5 + Super AYC 6 traction control and to the Sports ABS systems. The Lancer Evolution VIII displayed at the 2003 Tokyo Motor Show took the MR designation traditionally reserved for Mitsubishi Motors high-performance models and used first on the Galant GTO.
    The turbocharged engine is tuned to deliver maximum power over the mid- to high-rev band and the 2.0-litre engine generates 400N-m of torque at 3500 rpm. The Evolution VIII MR sees no changes in body design over its predecessor but is distinguished by new colouring and styling trim that is intended to accentuate its aggressive ultra-performance machine looks. Although at first sight the MR doesnt look much different, i cant put my finger on it but something about it does look unlike the FQ-300
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cotterick; 05-08-2004 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    uh....i thought this was a new model? how can so many independant testers have reviewed it? Maybe I don't know sh.t about lancers (i don't). I thought the point of a 0-60 time in any car was to abuse the hell out of it in order to get the fastest time, whatever it takes. You think they gingered it in an enzo? I'm a little bit confused as to what separates this car from others in such a test.
    ... for the love of god, if this is ur car would u want to abuse the hell outta it to get a .6 second difference to 60? 5-60 is the more realistic times you'll actually get since at no point in real life are u ever going to have the oportunity to launch your car like that.

Thread Information