Thread: Question regarding 1:18 vs 1:24 diecast models

Question regarding 1:18 vs 1:24 diecast models

First of all, hello to everyone here. I am lucky to have stumbled on this website while searching for diecast models. I am new to the hobby and would like some advice. I would like to have a small collection of about a dozen cars. I won't get into specific models but in general porsche, ferrari, lamborghini, etc. I noticed there is quite a price range between 1:18 and 1:24. I was wondering if people thought the difference is size was worth the price difference. Also, are cars in general more harder to find in 1:24 than 1:18? I can't find an red mazda rx8 in 1:24 anywhere. I also was curious about the quality of maisto models which are cheaper than than the autoart (which I'm presuming is good quality). Thanks.

There is a fairly noticeable difference in quality over cheaper ones like Maisto, I find Maisto has more of a toy-like feel to them, whereas if you really want a decent collection, you're better off paying more. Also I'd recommend going for 1:18 scale models, as I find there is the most selection at that size, and they generally have more detail and look better on your shelf.

So overall I'd say you're better off buying a higher quality model, and maybe having less cars than having a lot of the cheaper ones.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Hey!
    All good things come at a price. However it all depends on the kind of detail you come to expect from the model. Sure auto art are good, then again they are almost double the price. But do chek out the Merc 500K by Maisto. You'll be impressed. Then again there are brands far superior to Autoart, but in the range of $250 plus. Well, scale is all down to your requirements, although I think 1:18 have a wider range, apart from being better detailed. Check out Amalgam... crazy 1:4 and 1:8 replicas... Enjoy!

Any suggestions on reliable places online to make a purchase? I did a google search and found some sites but would hate to miss a site that is known for competitive pricing. I usually avoid ebay, not sure what other's experiences have been. Also, any brands to definitely avoid?
    Last edited by bronxkid; 08-10-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Here in Vancouver, Canada there is Wilkinson's Automobilia. They have a comprehensive website and you can order from them as well:
    www.eautomobilia.com
    Check it out, and see if they can help!
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Go for 1:18.

Yes i have to agree with the rest people that 1:18 scale cars look good. I do not know for the Wilkinson's Automobilia store because i am on the other side of Atlantic but for europe that i can tell you i have found an online shop in Greece. Here is the link so you can check http://www.allcarmodels.com So far i have ordered a few couple of items and i am happy with the quality and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by modelcarfan
    Yes i have to agree with the rest people that 1:18 scale cars look good. I do not know for the Wilkinson's Automobilia store because i am on the other side of Atlantic but for europe that i can tell you i have found an online shop in Greece. Here is the link so you can check http://www.allcarmodels.com So far i have ordered a few couple of items and i am happy with the quality and prices.
    Welcome (welkom) to UCP. Surprising to see a Greek company running a Dutch website....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks for the advice. I decided to buy 1:18 for the exotic cars that I want to collect, and 1:24 for the cars that I want to collect just for the sake of having that car. Now I have to find nice display stands/cases.

Well aparently the page is multilanguage because when i log on to their page it comes out in Greek Language. Now we have to check for someone from USA or England to see if they have English as well.

Seeking 1:18

I know you got some excellent advise from the other members already and you have probably also read my thread re 1:18 Bugattis.
    1:18 is the scale I go for purely because the larger models seem more realistic although there are ranges where the 1:43 have a lot more detail. For these you pay dearly! A 1:43 Franklin Mint could cost you more than a Autoart 1:18 and they're not cheap. Then you could go AMC in 1:18 and pay through your neck, but remember you're paying for detail and very obvious quality.
    I live 8000 km away from the nearest model manufacturers! That being Italy!
    If I can't find a model in S.A. I am forced to go web.
    Whilst I'd be reluctant to buy from private sources, I found that a lot of the more reputable scale retailers are listed with Ebay. Go to the related sites and normallly you'll also find street address postings. I have to rely on friends or relatives visiting abroad to shop on my behalf.
    The Maisto EB110 Dauer that was released in the middle of last year is still not in S.A.
    Thank goodness my nephew is enroute to Germany on the weekend and I might have one in it's reserved spot by end next week. Crazy Huh!

If you can't afford the real thing have a dozen in scale!
    Bugattitude
    "Nothing is too beautiful, nothing is too expensive"
    Ettore Bugatti

New here

Id like to say I have 60 1:18s and love each and every one. Ive bought a bunch at a big box discount store for about 10bux. Ive bought 1 at a little shop up in Vermont. Ive bought others for 19.99 in stores (various buy one get one's).. average price Ive paid is about 25.00. And most of them are made by Maisto. I also am good with a hot glue gun and have put one or two cars together.. and have repaired cars also.

The quality is decent, doors open, hood and trunk open. Many details are decent (if you arent totally anal and very detail oriented in the cars).

I do have a couple Countach's and a couple Diablos.. and its amazing the differences in production.

The AUTOART cars are some very very nice vehicles. My belief only,.. Maisto always says theres a limited production or some sort of exclusivity.. but there isnt. They make a couple hundred thousand. I also belief the designs, decals, effort put into the AUTOART cars are some fantasic pieces. But they also cost about double of what Maisto charges. Then again depends where ya get it.. "middle man" or not.

In the end.. ya get what ya pay for. And Im sure I could have 1/2 the cars I have now and have spent equal money.

But do stay away from AUTOshow exhibitors.. unless you know how to make a deal. The prices are far too high for what they paid.

Id also like to say.. 1:18 is a fantastic scale for getting a beter look and being able to display them, show them off and have them look good. The matchbox ones are also nice, but I want to see the car. The 1:24 that the Franklin Mint offers.. are also amazingly detailed vehicles. They also charge 2-3x the price of Maisto. But its the Mint. id buy them.. but I like to stay within my 1:18 scale. Going lower.. impedes on my view and examination of the cars. The 1:12 is a step larger and costlier. It also depends on what ya get, how big and where ya get it from.
    Last edited by 25th Countach; 10-02-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Well guys i had the same problem where i am located. They are not existing any model shops. Most of them they say, they are model shops but only for RC models. From an advert i found out a web page that seems abit cool with lots of photos. The url is http://www.allcarmodels.com
    I have got many model cars from them around 16 and they have really good prices. Specialy in 1:18 scale model cars. Also when i had a trouble to get a model and i was not able to find it anywhere else i asked them and eventually they got it for me. It was a Ferrari FXX Limited edition. Maybe check them as well to see their prices. I used to get models from Ebay stores but i got twice to some not too good people that they Fraud me big timo and after that i was not trusting internet to make my orders. But this guys in allcarmodels.com they seem to be legitimate and run a good and clean company.
    Have fun and keep collecting.

Beg to differ about the availability of 1:43 models. There are thousands of them, based on thousands of prototypes, far more than 1:18, but they're nearly all in Europe, where 1:43 has been the standard size for decades. And while it's true that good ones are expensive, they are BEAUTIFUL! Americans think they are dinky and hard to view, but Europeans like to display lots of cars in a relatively small space. There's no right and wrong to this; it all depends on what you're accustomed to.

In my opinion, Franklin Mint is overrated. They do very nice deluxe packaging, and the finishes are very glossy, but the models themselves are neither well-detailed nor accurate, compared to AutoArt. And some, like their Bugatti's, are not accurately proportioned. Other makers like GMP and CMC are superior to both AutoArt and Franklin Mint, but are much more expensive.

There are plenty of good model shops on the Internet. EWA is one; Racing Models UK is another, and there are many more, especially selling 1:43. Check http://www.EWA1.com/. They have an amazing selection, especially if you like European prototypes.

Best to all,
    Tom

Thread Information