Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delage Vutotal pic

Delage Vutotal pic

Has anybody a decent picture of the 1937 Delage V12, that was due to be entered in the Le Mans race? It sported a dramatic aerodynamic body, including a vertical tail fin, and was designed by Andreau, and executed by Carosseries H. Labourdette on Vutotal principles. I could find only one miniature picture in black/white that hardly gave any idea how it looked.
    I do remember that designer Paul Bracq once draw a beautiful picture of this car, which appeared in the French car magazine L' Auto-Journal in the early eighties.
    Thanks for help, Joris

I dug deep in alot of places but all I could find were pictures of Delage D8's. Sorry.
    I don't know if the D8 is what you're looking for actually but I didn't think so because i didn't see the tail fin that you spoke of.

The car was based upon the D8-120 roadcar. But the coachwork was very distinctive.
    This is the only pic I could find:
    http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41c0927d...4S23EBxcqoIO20
    But I do not know how to reproduce it here.
    Let's say I know at least more about cars, than about computers...
    Joris

The book "Delage, la belle voiture francaise", (D. Cabart/ C Rouxel, E.T.A,I., Boulogne-Billancourt) has three pics in total, one at speed and rather blurred, one side shot (a very small one, carrying #4) and one from a quarter right. It was presented in 1937, with a V12, based in two Delahaye 135 engines, whereby the left block of the V12 was a turned around engine.

The last heard about the car was that it was bought in 1939 and entered in the French Car registry as model "4D12". However, in Mai 1938, the car crashed heavily during a race at Brooklands killing several spectators.
    Last edited by henk4; 08-13-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Found these two pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Striking car for the time period

One more ...

certianly interesting thats for sure...
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

That is the car indeed, thanks. As you say, stylewise it was a decennium in advance on its time at least. I have read about the Brooklands crash indeed, Henk, and two reports relate that by that time, the coachwork had been altered to a kind of open version.

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_&
    Found these two pictures
    the first pic is also published in the book I mentioned.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Mais de rien, Joris...

To conclude, i'm adding this last picture of the open racer convertion, taken at Brooklands as said previously, just before its self combustion experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_&
    Mais de rien, Joris...

To conclude, i'm adding this last picture of the open racer convertion, taken at Brooklands as said previously, just before its self combustion experience.

Merci, are you also aware what happend to car afterward when it was registered in 1939?

Well, I read somewhere that it runned at the 1946 GP de Belgique without great success, and then disapeared...

It is also said that its frame was used for a record breaker and that the engine was fitted in a canot ...

and again 2 more pics

intersting we should chase it a little more, thanks for those pics

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    the first pic is also published in the book I mentioned.
    Actually, Hold & Henk, belatedly I found the same pic (only the full side one), in Jean-Henri Labourdette's own book, "Un siècle de Carrosserie Française", on one of the very last pages (P. 225) It is exactly the same pic, but Labourdette speaks about an ir. "Audrand", rather than of Andreau. Nothing about its subsequent adventures. And even more unsettling, he says that the prototype was "constructed for Delage... on a Talbot platform (chassis)"!
    Very little extra info, however.
    Thanks for all the detective work. I was despairing to find one (I try to do pastelpaintings of classic sportscars)
    Joris

Thread Information