Thread: I know this is abnormal, but...

I know this is abnormal, but...

... is it dangerous? I've noticed some cracking on the sidewalls of my tires right where they meet the treads the last few weeks. It's from my style of driving (balls to the wall), with my suspension setup (stock blown shocks, struts, and shocks) and my lower-than-average tire pressures (32-33psi all the way around).

Under hard cornering, I can actually feel the sidewall flex over onto the shoulder of the tire. If you look at the first 2 pictures you can see there's still a good amount of meat on the tires, except near the outer edge. I think this has a little to do with my car being out of alignment (camber spec was way off 6 months ago- I can only imagine now), but a lot more with my driving.

So am I going to kill myself? I don't plan on changing how I drive. But will I be ok to beat the ish out of these tires until next spring when I need new ones (Yes, I go through a set of tires once a year)? Or am I going to eat through the sidewalls and crash into a tree before then?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Eventually you will experience tire failure. However depending on the quality of the brand of tire you are using it probably won't be catastrophic. These days tires are manufactured with "driver stupidity" in mind. Anyone who intentionally drives under-inflated tires in the manner descriibed is simply asking for trouble. At the least inflate your tires to the proper pressure and you will probably eliminate this wear on future rubber.
    You should also seriously consider limiting your unusal driving habits to a race track or other suitable piece of unused roadway!!
    Drivers like you are the reason insurance rates are so high!!!
    Last edited by ringle; 08-15-2006 at 03:58 PM.

What's the reason behind the underinflation? I apparently drove around with underinflated front tyres. My rims were damaged because of it and it cost me €100 to get them fixed. I'm never doing that again.

The tire recommends 40psi max. The placard on the car recommends 32-35psi. I run 32 in the front and 33 in the rear because I like the little extra grip it gives me. So they're not really out of spec.

And aside from a couple speeding tickets my driving record is clean.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

The max on the tyre isn't how high the pressure should be, only the maximum. Those pressures you use are normal. From those extremely blurred pictures the tyre looks legally ok. But keep track of the cracking, if it gets worse then replace them if you insist on driving like a fool.

Thread Information