Thread: Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible 1972

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA

Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible 1972

Fresh from a redesign in 1971, Oldsmobile's full-size Delta 88 entered the company's 75th year with few changes; the most prominent update was a new front bumper. The Royale moniker signified the top model of the Oldsmobile 88 lineup, but was outranked by the even more luxurious Ninety-Eight series. For 1972, the Delta 88 was offered in 2- or 4-door variants, as well as the positively titanic Custom Cruiser wagon. In the 1973 model year, the Delta 88 was upgraded again with numerous minor styling changes and horizontal taillights.

Pictured here is a rather rare '72 Delta 88 Royale convertible that I spotted and photographed in the parking lot of an apartment complex near the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. While searching for more information, I found this very car on cardomain.com. Owned by a graduate student here at the University, the car was originally white and was fitted with a 350, but the engine was upgraded to a 455 when the 350 died, and repainted after a fender-bender

For the owner's story, and more pictures taken when it was freshly painted and clean (we've been going through a bit of wintry weather lately; that's why it's so dirty in my pictures), click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/551228
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Two more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Cragar SS FTW
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

That is one large slab of American Car. Not terribly pretty, or terribly fast, or terribly well put-together, but at least it was clearly American. What cars can you say that about today?
    I'm erudite ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    That is one large slab of American Car. Not terribly pretty, or terribly fast, or terribly well put-together, but at least it was clearly American. What cars can you say that about today?

can't really say that about anything that costs under $40,000. except for maybe the odd truck.

... Isn't that a Roadrunner in digsuise?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    None. I'd agree it's not that terribly pretty or fast, but I'd say it's put together better than these plastic-on-wheels things we call cars today.

BTW, I drove through Conway once! Y'all have some narrow streets...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    None. I'd agree it's not that terribly pretty or fast, but I'd say it's put together better than these plastic-on-wheels things we call cars today.
    The solid feel of the steering column against one's sternum was a downer tho..
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information