Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotus Elan: How Fast Really?

The Lotus Elan, driven by our member Fangio, has recently won the Tour Auto in France.... only after a fierce battle with John Sheldon, the flying dentist also driving a.....Lotus Elan (but a red one)

Indeed a well driven standard Elan is very fast but a full spec 26R is almost unbeatable.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The Lotus Elan, driven by our member Fangio, has recently won the Tour Auto in France.... only after a fierce battle with John Sheldon, the flying dentist also driving a.....Lotus Elan (but a red one)

Indeed a well driven standard Elan is very fast but a full spec 26R is almost unbeatable.
    a guy who drives historic racing in norway, brought his "new" 26R to Copenhagen GP Classics.. And i think i crashed it pretty bad...
    I'll try to find pics

An acording the elan.. It is probably the closest thing you can come to a super seven.. In weight and messurements..

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    Might consider selling the Subaru for a shitty daily driver and a ratty old Elan.
    You should. However, depending onthe year and model of your Subaru, I don't know if it's value is enough. It also depends on what you consider a crappy daily driver.

I belive the Elan must be near unbeatable. Specially when compared to big powerful cars like those, and even more against 4wd cars.
    I remind you that the most dificult car to beat at autocross is a good original Mini. Their agility and weight make for any power difference.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost
    Just to ad my favourite Elan pic of all time...
    the face of the guy in the grey shirt
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    the face of the guy in the grey shirt
    Yeah.. inside his head: WTF???

Here is the pic before Copenhagen Classics GP
    Elan 26R
    Beuuuuuuutiful
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Elan-Spr...QQcmdZViewItem

Elan on Ebay at the moment that I've been drooling over. It looks like it's only just left the factory. I think it's because of the body bag in the rear

That is one sweet Elan...
    Absolutely stunning....
    If you got the change.. Go for it

Edit:
    If you want something for the track
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 08-18-2006 at 09:00 AM.

If you want something for the track
    Only if you buy it for me

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    Only if you buy it for me

Okay

I'll put your name on the papers, so if anything happens.. I wasn't there..

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    You should. However, depending onthe year and model of your Subaru, I don't know if it's value is enough. It also depends on what you consider a crappy daily driver.
    It's an 04 STi, which is worth approximately:
    One ratty Ferrari 308, or
    One rat-infested Ferrari Dino, or
    One tattered Elan and the cheapest car I can find with working air-con. (****ing HOT in Arkansas.)

Preferably, my daily driver would be something so shitty that people will stop to laugh at. What's the point of going cheap if you're not going REAL cheap. Maybe a 3-cylinder Geo Metro with four donut "temporary spare" tires. Or a 70's American barge with one of our massive 6-liter V-8's that pumped out 110 horsepower when new, and now is down to about 60.

The Elan would be in perfect shape except that it would have been sitting on blocks for twenty years until some halfwit teenager bought it and poured enough unleaded down the throats of the carbs to fire it up briefly. (so that he could put "runs great" in the advertisement)

But, truth be told, I like that damn Subaru too much. It does so many things "pretty good" that it's easy to excuse faults like not being an autocross juggernaut. It's pretty good in a drag race, it's pretty good out a challenging road, it's pretty good on the interstate, pretty good in the rain, and it's pretty good on gravel. Acutally, it's great on gravel. (or grass)

I'm thinking about experimenting with Rallycross, but I feel like the further I get into Racing, the more everything starts to feel like the first twenty minutes of Trainspotting.

I'll get wrapped up in coilovers and 4-point harnesses and racing tires and next thing I'll know, I'm upside down at the bottom of a ravine and my baby has starved to death. I just don't have the cash to race, and definitely not the cash... to crash.
    Last edited by LandQuail; 08-18-2006 at 11:54 AM.

I hear that. I just auto-x every once in a while. I figure out a year I have maybe 10 to 20 minutes of competitive time. Thats enough for me. You know, I like to go to thew auto-x, I love the people and the energy and the vibes, but theres one thing I love even more and thats my car. I will not use my car in anything wheel to wheel. When you are really racing, the car becomes expendible, its about winning. I don't care about winning, I just go to have fun and frankly, pose a little! One hay bail accident and my car shows up on Ebay as a great "ran when parked in a hay bail" ad because I can't afford catostrophic damage.

Here is the pic before Copenhagen Classics GP
    Elan 26R
    Beuuuuuuutiful
    A 26R without knock-off's? At least it's not original...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    A 26R without knock-off's? At least it's not original...
    No.. i believe it's not...
    I'll try to get some more info about it

Lotus Elan Autocros

Lightness of weight and ideal polar moment of inertia are strengths in the Elan in an autocross situation; especially on tight courses. I raced a 1970 Lotus Super Seven SS twincam for quite a few years and was rarely beaten for fast time of the day. I won the Colorado SCCA series championship four years in a row in B Prep class. It also held a world record for the quarter mile....it would turn 13.7 seconds at 103mph at 1,200 feet elevation; not bad for 95 cubic inches. The car weighed 1180 pounds. It was sweet to put the stock big-ironed muscle cars on the trailer at the drag strip. I think the Elan should tip the scales at under 1,400 pounds. The stock Elan engine shows about 108 horsepower on an SAE-spec engine dyno when equipped with 40mm Webers and a bit less on Strombergs.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    I met a guy from the British Motoring Club of Arkansas who said that he races his totally stock Lotus Elan S2 in the A-Stock class at SCCA Autocross events. I drive a WRX-STi, and I'm in A-Stock.

This guy said that he'd never been beat; said his little Elan had outgunned Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes (of course), and most alarmingly, STis and EVOs.

I knew that the Elan is has handling that borders on the miraculous, but I just can't imagine a car running on three-inch wide tires and pushing out about 120hp could be that quick, even around something as tight as an autocross course. His entire contact patch for 4 tires might be almost as much as that of one of my tires.

I believe the guy, but I'd like to hear about some coraborating evidence. That's just incredible.

How was the 7 on the road, Jeffball?
    Or was it a dedicated racer?

Thread Information