Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda Fit Fuel Economy :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    Is your Fit manual or auto? If it is manual, stop revving the engine so high, it is auto, how fast do you drive anyway? And stop blasting your A/C...
    it's an auto, hvn't blasted the a/c in a bit, using it sparingly now

and not that fast ...

like 120kph cruising on freeway, with bursts up to 140kph and back just to prevent the engine from turning over at a constant rpm

i was drafting trucks and stuff the entire way so i thought that would offset the extra fuel used for the bursts of acceleration

btw i just filled up the tank

446.4 km with 28.8 L of gas

that works out to 15.5 km/L or 6.45L/100km
    off from the 17.857km/L or 5.6L/100km rated figure

considering the fact it's still pretty new and how i'm expecting quite a bit from the diminuitive engine the figure is pretty good. what's worrying me is how i got 13L/100km last week in city driving, i wasnt driving particularly fast or making short trips which would have messed with the fuel economy

Wheels Magazine drove one from Sydney-Melbourne awhile ago, and IIRC the economy figures they got back were something like 4-5L/100km
    I am the Stig

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I got better fuel economy in my Bronco than the EPA rated it for, and that was on a somewhat tired engine with 120k miles on it already. How? It's all about your driving style, and letting the engine break in thoroughly will help too. Wait till you have 15k KM's on it, it should get a little better on its own, too.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    like 120kph cruising on freeway, with bursts up to 140kph and back just to prevent the engine from turning over at a constant rpm
    Well that's it right there. Most newer cars get maximum fuel economy doing about 100km/h. That's about when the air drag starts taking a significant toll (for most passenger cars). 120km/h is substatially less efficient, and any bursts to 140km/h from an already high velocity obviously aren't going to help that.

Try driving at a constant lower speed, do the same test, and get back to us. Remember that the most important factor in highway milage is a constant efficient cruising speed, and the most important factor around town is is how efficiently you accelerate.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 08-22-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Well that's it right there. Most newer cars get maximum fuel economy doing about 100km/h. That's about when the air drag starts taking a significant toll (for most passenger cars). 120km/h is substatially less efficient, and any bursts to 140km/h from an already high velocity obviously aren't going to help that.

Try driving at a constant lower speed, do the same test, and get back to us. Remember that the most important factor in highway milage is a constant efficient cruising speed, and the most important factor around town is is how efficiently you accelerate.
    ill try that, but going 100kph on the 401 is pretty hard, 120 is what most cars cruise at

the same trip with same driving style in the 01 corolla produces 5L/100km so i was expecting more or less the same with the fit

ill try that, but going 100kph on the 401 is pretty hard, 120 is what most cars cruise at

the same trip with same driving style in the 01 corolla produces 5L/100km so i was expecting more or less the same with the fit
    I don't see how it's difficult to drive 100km/h rather than 120km/h. It's called the slow lane, people will pass you. Try 110km/h. That's what got the best cruising efficiency in my old 944.

Let me know how it goes, I'm interested to know exactly how much of a difference it will make.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    shit. i actually told my friend's mother to buy one instead of a prius.
    What makes you think that the Prius' quoted fuel economy is any more accurate?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I don't see how it's difficult to drive 100km/h rather than 120km/h. It's called the slow lane, people will pass you. Try 110km/h. That's what got the best cruising efficiency in my old 944.

Let me know how it goes, I'm interested to know exactly how much of a difference it will make.
    ill give it a shot, goin in on friday so ill be reporting in pretty soon, hopefully this time mileage improves, thanks for all the input and support guys

woo hoo 37mpg for the trip
    around 120 miles was city, 250 highway

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Are the EPA figures based on the CVT? Given they're usually set up around fuel saving and it seems you have a manual, that could make a difference also.
    The Fit doesn't have a CVT. The Versa does.

It's brand new, right? Once it's properly broken in the mileage figures will improve. The Fit should easily better 40 MPG on such a trip.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    It's brand new, right? Once it's properly broken in the mileage figures will improve. The Fit should easily better 40 MPG on such a trip.
    i'm using US gallons not imperial

the city driving really lowered the mileage

highway's rated at 42 but city's only 30

i'm using US gallons not imperial

the city driving really lowered the mileage

highway's rated at 42 but city's only 30
    The car gets 42 for HWY so aerodynamics aren't the issue, revs are. In the city if you can keep revs below 4K, you could probably better 30.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information