Thread: power brakes vs. Drum brakes

power brakes vs. Drum brakes

recently purchased a 1973 AMC Matador and would like to convert from the old brakes (drum brakes?) to power brakes. Just wondering if you guys can give me a link to a tutorial on the conversion or if someone can tell me exactly what i need to change. i heard the hardest part is attaching the brake lines, or putting the spindle on. Can anyone give me a rundown of the entire process? thanks
    -jose

I think the Matador may have already power assisted front discs and may have drums at the rear. Do you want to change those to discs as well?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Drum brakes can be power brakes too. The two main types of brakes are drum brakes and disc brakes. And either of these can have power assistance or no power assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03
    Drum brakes can be power brakes too. The two main types of brakes are drum brakes and disc brakes. And either of these can have power assistance or no power assistance.
    sure, I was just trying to figure out what was on a 1973 Matador. And it is pretty obvious that when the front discs are assisted, the rear drums are too
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

When you say power bakes do you mean servo'd instead of cable brakes?

I think he is referring to power assisted brakes, rather than just a master cylinder.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    All you really have to do is find a booster that works, put it in, and hook it up to a vacuum port on the carburetor. It's not as difficult as it looks, once you find the booster. The trick is finding one that works.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    sure, I was just trying to figure out what was on a 1973 Matador. And it is pretty obvious that when the front discs are assisted, the rear drums are too
    I was posting that in response to the reaper's first post. When i started typing you hadn't posted yet. I was just trying to help reaper out because it seemed like he was a bit confused with his brake terms.

yea i think you guys are right. I have disc brakes that are not power assisted meaning i do not have a booster. I know there are not rotors on the car.

well if there are no rotors on the car than i dont think you have disc brakes...

How about you take a couple of pictures? Of the brakes and the master cylindar. We can probably help you much better that way.

Thread Information