Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So you want to do a motor swap...

Damn. I wanted to swap a NSX motor into a Beat.
    sub-nanosecond 0-60 ftw!
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Kit car guys do it all the time --- but we're REAL men
    It doesn't need $10K tools, done it with a grinder, welder and 20 piece socket set !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Japanesedreams View Post
    I have total respect for all the intelligent people who post in here.
    I just joined and feel some trepidation about posting in this forum.
    This is because of all the Honda bashing that occurs all too frequently.

Words like ricer or fanboy ect.... well it is makes it that much more difficult for a person who likes Honda to post. I mean honestly, I came into this thread looking to find out about engine swap information... and then the message that I think people might hear sounds like, "do not do it unless you have 10,000 dollars and mass amounts of time..ect" .....maybe I am wrong but that is the impression I started to feel when reading this thread... i could easily be wrong though...so have patience with me please...

It just seemed like the post was created more to discourage people from doing engine swaps. Look, I wish I were as smart as an engineer but I am far from it; however, I am just going to post a few links to the internet that are helping me to learn about engine swaps. I feel those starting out with a Honda would like these links. Maybe I can learn from responses, who can be my friend in here and help me to understand Honda.

You guys who are rich and who have moved up the food chain to V10 and V12 engines can roll your eyes at my post if you want to..... but man..... Honda is just a damn good company.. dedicated to more than just cars.... I have so much consumer loyalty to Honda...seriously .... it brought me to a love of cars and racing...I just can not bring myself to describe my feeling for the Honda company..

I just want to leave a message for the Honda kids.... here are three links that provide enough information to get one foot on the path to good engine swap information for Hondas ---> ( engine swaps have never been easier...when it is an Integra engine into a Honda Civic.. this is a very common swap these days because of the relative ease and low cost... this is just a different angle on the above perspective. I desire to send it out to the Honda owners)

1......http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...series_engine/
    2......http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...4_engine_swap/
    3......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine
    I didn't write it to discourage people from doing it. But people should know what they're getting in to when they're doing it. Even with easy swaps, it's not easy. Parts break, bolts strip, things don't line up, and parts counter guys order the wrong stuff. It's guaranteed to happen. Try going on eBay and look at all the cars that are for sale that were "projects" and the owner lost interest/got in over his head/can't afford it right now/whatever else.

I actually encourage people to do crazy things with cars. Cars are a great hobby and a good way to express your creativity in a constructive way.

Those article you posted are pretty informative. But even B-series swaps aren't all direct. A couple of guys I went to school with were in to modding Hondas- one had a 92 Accord he converted from auto to manual, and the other had a Del Sol he was putting a B16 in. The Accord's trans swap was a 1 week affair he did in his free time after school. But the Del Sol was down for 6 months, at least, and never got finished. He constantly had problems with bad parts, wrong parts, delayed parts, etc.

And if my post scared you off from doing a swap, then you probably shouldn't have been doing one in the first place.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I like the way you think, from one novice 2 the next... Like you say we should be here 2 encourage and not discourage... Now down 2 business... Firstly I'd like to say, HAIL!!! the Japanese for giving use these beautiful machines... Secondly, to any Toyota fundis out there I'd like to do an engine swop and I'd like some technical advice if you please... In South Africa I have a Corolla housing the 4-AGE and I would like to transplant it with a 3S-GTE engine & corresponding gearbox... Firstly are the engine blocks the same size,ie will it fit?; Secondly will the engine mountings be in the same position??; Thirdly which driveshafts will be compatible??? and lastly I'll appreciate any other bits of info......... Thanx.....

I'm thinking about buying Chevette when I turn 16 and droping a V8 into it what do u guys think.
    Tran Am's Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Cardude1111 View Post
    I'm thinking about buying Chevette when I turn 16 and droping a V8 into it what do u guys think.
    If you have to ask, don't do it. AKA, read the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    If you have to ask, don't do it. AKA, read the first post.
    I know I would need to extened the body and build a strong frame but I want to race the car withe a 350cin (carborated) Chevy Crate engine and win $$$.
    I know it will cost a few $ but I think it would be worth it.
    Tran Am's Rule

I know I would need to extened the body and build a strong frame but I want to race the car withe a 350cin (carborated) Chevy Crate engine and win $$$.
    Chevy vega+ modded 350= winner. Vega's also look cooler.

Again, if you have to ask.. don't do it. If you're looking into doing an engine swap, you better read up on everything involved, and have the necessary funds. It's not as simple as, "Hmm, there's this 400 horsepower V8 sitting in the junkyard and I think it'd fit in my old Impala."

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Chevy vega+ modded 350= winner. Vega's also look cooler.
    Chevettes are lighter.
    Tran Am's Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Again, if you have to ask.. don't do it. If you're looking into doing an engine swap, you better read up on everything involved, and have the necessary funds. It's not as simple as, "Hmm, there's this 400 horsepower V8 sitting in the junkyard and I think it'd fit in my old Impala."
    I Know but I would buy it brand new from Chevy.
    Tran Am's Rule

Tran Am's Rule

Whatever then, go ahead with the swap and show me the completed car a couple years from now.

Would be a cool swap, been done before but if you will be spending much more money than you could win.
    If you want something quick for cheap to win some cash at the stip buy an LS1 camaro/firebird with an auto, put in a 3600 stall, exahust and some sticky tires and you've got yourself an easy 12 second car.

Chevettes are lighter.
    The couple hundred pound difference doesn't really matter when you have 400+hp.
    My uncle has a '72 motion vega similar to the one in the picture I posted. At half throttle the tires break loose.

Edit: Motion guaranteed 10 second 1/4 times or they would buy the car back.

Also do you have any previous drag racing experience? It's best to start with a slow car and work your way up to faster cars.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 03-19-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Thread Information