Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So you want to do a motor swap...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    The couple hundred pound difference doesn't really matter when you have 400+hp.
    My uncle has a '72 motion vega similar to the one in the picture I posted. At half throttle the tires break loose.

Edit: Motion guaranteed 10 second 1/4 times or they would buy the car back.

Also do you have any previous drag racing experience? It's best to start with a slow car and work your way up to faster cars.
    I gess thats true a bout slow cars but then what should I Start with.
    Tran Am's Rule

First you should learn how to spell and type.
    You can bracket race anything, so what ever floats your boat. But, there isn't a lot of money to be had in bracket racing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    First you should learn how to spell and type.
    I knew. I get bad marks in spelling.
    Tran Am's Rule

Hi All

I have a question.
    I purchased a Peugeot 206 Popart.
    Details are as follows:
    Guy buys this car has 12000 on the clock rides it around for a while blows the engine, purchases a new 1600 engine to do the conversion from a 1400.
    Leaves said car to stand for two years due to lack of finance to continue the project.

Right so here is my issues.
    I have purchased this car to build it up.
    The motor clearly is not going to fit into the cavity as it has a water pump pretty much smack bang where the steering column sits. What are the options here?

Do I try to do the conversion using different engine mountings and try to enlarge the cavity by using a smaller radiator to accommodate the fit?
    Sell the motor and by the original 1400 motor?
    Is there a manual on how to do this very conversion?

What is the usual protocol for Peugeot in terms of this transition to a bigger motor?

Now I will say I am a girlie girl.
    Had a Honda Ballade which we slowly did up over time with little issues, SOHC to a DOHC such stuff but the motor was never stripped out by someone else we did it step by step marked everything took photos so on and so forth.

Right now I have a puzzle with no guide of where to even start let alone any knowledge on computerized motors.

Any advise?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Sounds like a can of worms. It looks like it would take a lot of fab work to get that motor in there properly. And then you probably would want to inquire with some Peugeot techs or at a Peugeot-specific forum to ensure that all of the wiring harnesses and computer modules are compatible.

If anyone here has turned some wrenches on any Peugeots, we'd appreciate your input!
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Yeah I probably should have done a tad more research before doing this little exercise, worst of all is there is no going back now.

But not to worry I am very resourceful and will find away to get this sorted, thankfully the wiring harness was not disrupted and both computer boxes are still in tact. I think really I am just worried that the engine itself is almost a whole half bigger then the last which kinda makes me wonder what this guy was thinking when he purchased it in the first place.

The idea of having a 1600 in that little car is a nice thought it would make performance on it so much more but then again as you say it could just be a can of worms ...

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Keri View Post
    Sell the motor and by the original 1400 motor?
    this will always be the cheapest and easiest method of getting the car running and on the road again.
    should take some basic mechanical skills if you can find a relative or local willing to help, wiring may be the one sticking point if the previous owner has fiddled with it but looks like you got lucky in that respect!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Turbo it.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

See if you can remove the original water pump and fit an electrical one.

This would give you some more freedom in its positioning
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thanks Quiggs to provide such useful detailed here about making engine swapping.
    My mechanic swapped my engine for me and suggest me some cheap deal available online to purchased my car engine from ... somewhere over the rainbow, way up high ......
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-26-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: SPAM link removed

I own a 2001 tracker and want to put a Subaru 2007 wrx sti drive train in it. Sounds like fun to me. Any thoughts ?

3300 lg7 in a 1994 Chevrolet Beretta

Hello the thread cot my eye and got me thinking.

I wanted to put a 3300 lg7 (from a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera) in a 1994 Chevrolet Beretta that came with a 2.2L (heard its been done before)

any thoughts on this engine the 3.3?
    3300 (LG7) A smaller 3.3 L 3300 was introduced in 1989 and produced through 1993. It is effectively a lower-deck version of the 3800, with a smaller 3.7 in (93.98 mm) bore and 3.16 in (80.26 mm) stroke for 3,340 cc (204 cu in).[3] Like the 3800, it used a cast iron block and heads, push rods, and hydraulic lifters. Unlike the 3800, however, it used a batch-fire injection system rather than sequential injection, as evidenced by the lack of a cam position sensor. It also did not have a balance shaft. Power output was 160 hp (119 kW) at 5,200 rpm and 185 lb·ft (251 N·m) at 2,000 rpm with a 5,500 rpm redline.

i haven't been able to find much but what i have heard has all been glowing reviews

any thoughts on the swap it's self, all ideas are vary apretiated

here is the info I've been looking at
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...847720570.html
    http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Buick_V6_engine#3300
    http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/chevrolet_usa/beretta/beretta/1994.html

Thank You!

289 in 2000 Mustang

I have a 1960"s 289 and would like to replace the 3.8 V-6 vibrator in an otherwise excellent 2000 coupe. The car has a 4-spd. auto/OD tranny. The V-6 vibrates at numerous RPM settings, but smooth in a few short ranges. I've heard that this is typical and the best remedy is a swap to a smooth motor. The 289 came from a 1965 "Stang.

The car will sound better, but the 289 makes the same power gross as the V6 does net. If you want the car to actually be faster, ditch the horrible '90s automatic.

Plenty of people crash their Mustangs so the 5.0s from a Fox Bodies and the Mod V8s are plenty cheap and are much better suited to the car.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Lots of thought

Your post was very helpful thank you.

I do have a question though. I had this crazy idea in my head a couple of months ago to put a 98 Impreza motor in a Honda CRX, and obviously call it the CRX STi. But that got scratched when I realized the car was to limited considering how much fabrication I would have to do just to get a driveshaft into it. My question is this; I have a 97 Dodge Neon. It is already built with SRT4 internals, 3.94 gears, and an SRT4 turbo setup. What I want to do is try to turn that AWD or switch it out completely with the same setup I wanted in the CRX. Is it possible to make it AWD or should I try the Subaru implant

Thank you in advance for your insight.
    Last edited by subiedoobie94; 10-24-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Forgot the main point

Thread Information