Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Crime in South Africa...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Wow a letter to a paper from a "true redbeck" Afrikaaner

??????

I'd have hoped by now that SA schools were teaching the value systems of the old tribal communities before "great white man" raped the country and peopl of their natural resources !!!
    I dont agree with you Matra, i grew up in this country and i know all the issues of all different races in SA. If the whiteys were so much in the wrong and raping the country......Why would this man then preach this.......

YouTube - Her name is "Ms. Ann"
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    I dont agree with you Matra, i grew up in this country and i know all the issues of all different races in SA.
    Definately, my experiences was based on working their for amultinational and on numerous business trips. Lots of friends, MOST of whom moved out. So I do also know amny of the "reasons".
    I was also there when SA used to ahve a free press before closed by Botha AND was there during Port Elizabeth riots - a PERFECT example of teh government NOT recognising the tribal divison that existed for centuries. Can't remember now the tribal groups, but basicaly sent the police in to assist during a "demonstration". Problem the police were 90% one tribe, the town demosntrators 90% another. History pre-dates white arrival. I always point out it woudl have been like asking the Rangers FC stewards to go and ask Celtic FC supporters to leave Celtic Park. It was inevitable and frankly I aske d many friends at the time did they not consider that it had been done DELIBERATALY that way by the government KNOWING it woudl result on tribal conflict they could then use to "blame" them. Botha coudl have tought GWB a lot of lessons on manipulation of the masses through "fear".
    If the whiteys were so much in the wrong and raping the country
    "whitey" bad racial reference there

Le me give one example I oft discussed/debated whilst in country.
    THe Afrikaaner "defnse" on apartheid rule was their forefathers blood was spilled on the land and the were notwilling to give it up. Asking how and why that blood spilled and how much of everyone elses was mixed there usualy reached consensus. Plenty of "redneck sounth africans" around too tho'
    ......Why would this man then preach this.......

YouTube - Her name is "Ms. Ann"
    Erm for similar reasons as THIS guy preaches what he does.
    (Not therouc, the disgusing Phelps family)
    YouTube - Louis Theroux: The Most Hated Family in America [BBC]

The are all IDIOTs and God really needs to wipe a-holes like that from the planet and especially do NOT let them "preach" racist BS from a pulpit.

Why do you let that person waste electrons in your computer by playing such RUBBISH. There are nutcases and cranks all over, do you take their nonsense as justification for personal views ???

"That Africa, big continent never built one boat that was sea worthy"
    "No great cities were built" .. what a dick, the US didn't have that either !
    Also typical obsession with captial measured in MONEY and goods rather than lifestyle. I've stopped the vidoe after hear "black folks dont know how to run no nation"... GWB proved a lot of white folks dont either !!!!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-20-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Wow a letter to a paper from a "true redbeck" Afrikaaner

SHeez you can blow so much factual holes through the whole thing it's not even fun to play the game

That's just sad that there are folks like that in any crountry Question is their an equivalent now of the Fox News network ??????

I'd have hoped by now that SA schools were teaching the value systems of the old tribal communities before "great white man" raped the country and peopl of their natural resources !!!
    I'll add my 2 cents as well:

The country is still being raped, but not by the evil, ominous "great white man" as you put it, but by the multi-national big businesses.

And FYI, it's not "redbeck", it's redneck, a direct translation of the Afrikaner term "rooinek", a term we (the evil, oppressive, country-raping Afrikaans-speaking white people) sometimes give to people of British origin. That's due to the SA sun having an unfortunate effect on people from that part of the world.

The term I believe you're looking for is probably "dirty Dutchmen". And I'm one of them.

what ? I paraphrasing on it was being raped by the big white man - so first off do NOT put extremist BS comments like that in MY mouth.

We ( ie the first world ) DID take much more from all these countries than we actually gave them back -- or their was no point in colonising them to start with.

and BIG BIG FYI ... can't you spot a typo when it happens ? Hint the "n" key is next to the "b" key on grown up keyboards !!!

erm guess what ... the Afrikaans translation of red neck to rooinek is no great surprise and yet is NOT the source of the term. The "direct translation" happens the other way round I think you'll find

Scottish Covenanters signed up using their own blood, and many in the movement began wearing red pieces of cloth around their neck to signify their position to the public. They were referred to as rednecks. Guess where most of the population expansion in Africa and America came from ? The highland clearances More than 100 years before the Boer War.

However, I also think it would naturally spread in all countries referring to ALL caucasians ( usually European ) who went from cold climate to warm sunny clime.

Shame you call yourself in the present the "country-raping Afrikaans". I'd hope by recognising the errors of our ancestors we're able to leave those issue behind and move forward with a more balanced, intelligent approach.

ANd basically I spent years working with SAPO. ANd yes the rooineks who worked there were an embarrasment. Not biased - cos they were ENGLISH - but the English were IN GENERAL more understanding and "humane" about things. Yes, I know the history and why I'd got in a discussion about the blood spilled on the land.

I personally had demonstrated one of the methods for testing the line to remote exchanges This was rationalised as "THe kaffa out there cant understand instructions so this is how we test" .... they would get the remote guy to hold the line entering the exchange building and then they would wind a megger. If the guy screamed they knew the line was OK. This was a big laugh and NOBODY in the room mentioned it ... 'cept me , I'm a bolshie Scottish presbytarian humanist !!

This is geting a wee bit OT, BUT until we accept the mistakes made in our past then we limit our options for better futures.
    Scottish minsters on missionary "work" did as much harm as a soldier with a bullet
    I can accept the reasons WHY they chose that route at the time and also how we learned to do better
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-20-2009 at 07:11 AM.

what ? I never ONCE said it was being raped by the big white man - so first off do NOT put extremist BS comments like that in MY mouth.
    If you say so. And I didn't try to put in in your mouth, just on your keyboard...

We ( ie the first world ) DID take much more from all these countries than we actually gave them back -- or their was no point in colonising them to start with.
    True, true. I'm not saying the first world is exploiting Africa today though, I'm saying major corporations are, but I get your point. I never really got the whole first-world thing, but I suppose that's a discussion on it's own.

and BIG BIG FYI ... can't you spot a typo when it happens ? Hint the "n" key is next to the "b" key on grown up keyboards !!!
    As it happens I can, and I did. But thanks for that.

erm guess what ... the Afrikaans translation of red neck to rooinek is no great surprise and yet is NOT the source of the term. The "direct translation" happens the other way round I think you'll find
    Actually, I think you'll find, I know what "rooinek" implies, and it's not that. At least not to me and the Afrikaans-speaking people I know...

Scottish Covenanters signed up using their own blood, and many in the movement began wearing red pieces of cloth around their neck to signify their position to the public. They were referred to as rednecks. Guess where most of the population expansion in Africa and America came from ? The highland clearances More than 100 years before the Boer War.
    And that ties in with the English "redneck" phrase I guess? Interesting.

However, I also think it would naturally spread in all countries referring to ALL caucasians ( usually European ) who went from cold climate to warm sunny clime.
    Could very well be, though I think that probably has more to do with the English "redneck" than the Afrikaans "rooinek". Might be direct translations of eachother, but it seems not meaning the same thing.

Shame you call yourself in the present the "country-raping Afrikaans". I'd hope by recognising the errors of our ancestors we're able to leave those issue behind and move forward with a more balanced, intelligent approach.
    Actually, that's the popular label we somehow just get associated with. If it was up to me I'd probably call us something different. I agree though, we should always strive to learn from past mistakes. It doesn't help if the world holds onto those mistakes come hell or high water though.
    It's probably worth noting that one man's "intelligent" approach is another's imbecilic approach.

ANd basically I spent years working with SAPO. ANd yes the rooineks who worked there were an embarrasment. Not biased - cos they were ENGLISH - but the English were IN GENERAL more understanding and "humane" about things. Yes, I know the history and why I'd got in a discussion about the blood spilled on the land.
    Look, I'm not trying to shift blame onto anyone for what's going on in SA at the moment. There are certain things in life everyone has to take responsibility for, and even failing that, everyone should try to solve. I have no problem with the English, Europeans, Americans, Scots, Irish, Botswanas, Mozambicans, Zimbabweans or anyone else for that matter. I do sometimes get the impression that certain Europeans find it popular to look down on Afrikaans-speaking Caucasians though. Not blaming, just stating my opinion and perception based on past experience.

And try to take as little offense from this as possible: There's a huge, huge, huge, humongous difference between working here and living here...

I personally had demonstrated one of the methods for testing the line to remote exchanges This was rationalised as "THe kaffa out there cant understand instructions so this is how we test" .... they would get the remote guy to hold the line entering the exchange building and then they would wind a megger. If the guy screamed they knew the line was OK. This was a big laugh and NOBODY in the room mentioned it ... 'cept me , I'm a bolshie Scottish presbytarian humanist !!
    I truly don't know how to respond to that, except to say those things and probably much worse have happened and possibly still do. Highlighting only one side's faults doesn't do much good though.

This is geting a wee bit OT, BUT until we accept the mistakes made in our past then we limit our options for better futures.
    Scottish minsters on missionary "work" did as much harm as a soldier with a bullet
    I can accept the reasons WHY they chose that route at the time and also how we learned to do better
    Good for you I say. And I fully agree as already stated further up that we need to learn from past mistakes.

Having said that, I probably blew your comment way out of proportion. So, apologies.

Moving on.

nae prob, the problemof the typed word

An imtrigued at the "other" meanings of rooinek, always thought it was like the "original" usage and was just a way of putting down the English in-comers. Of course these things change over time hence redneck in America. I knew of possible other links with red army coats of the Brits etc, but am intrigued in that you indicate another meaning ? Beyond the obvious globally used put-down for someone stuck in an old-fashined self-serving world, is there a nuance of rooinek I'm missing ? If VERY offensive PM me it ... stil kep in touch with ex-Joburg mates and might be tempted to wind em up

ANd I definately concur a few years in a country is totally different as "belonging" to an ethnic group of long standing. Think Scots in the UK I do tend to hoep I understood a little bit more because of my opennes and bluntness - some say stupidity. So I DID drive to Soweto at the height of necklacing. I did talk to as many folks as I could find -- when away from home on long trips and long term you tend to talk to everybody and anybody willing to give you time -- anything to stop the homesickness Berated my Afrikaans colleagues for their fear culture and willingness to carry arms AND the Engilsh colonials for their clinging to British values that meant nothgin !!

However, I would contend that you only had to go to one *REAL* brie to get what SA was about I miss the place

nae prob, the problemof the typed word

An imtrigued at the "other" meanings of rooinek, always thought it was like the "original" usage and was just a way of putting down the English in-comers. Of course these things change over time hence redneck in America. I knew of possible other links with red army coats of the Brits etc, but am intrigued in that you indicate another meaning ? Beyond the obvious globally used put-down for someone stuck in an old-fashined self-serving world, is there a nuance of rooinek I'm missing ? If VERY offensive PM me it ... stil kep in touch with ex-Joburg mates and might be tempted to wind em up

ANd I definately concur a few years in a country is totally different as "belonging" to an ethnic group of long standing. Think Scots in the UK I do tend to hoep I understood a little bit more because of my opennes and bluntness - some say stupidity. So I DID drive to Soweto at the height of necklacing. I did talk to as many folks as I could find -- when away from home on long trips and long term you tend to talk to everybody and anybody willing to give you time -- anything to stop the homesickness Berated my Afrikaans colleagues for their fear culture and willingness to carry arms AND the Engilsh colonials for their clinging to British values that meant nothgin !!

However, I would contend that you only had to go to one *REAL* brie to get what SA was about I miss the place
    You're definitely correct about the braai, possibly the greatest invention ever (even better than sliced bread)

There are so many nicknames in SA, from everyone about everyone really. The majority of them aren't meant offensively, but they unfortunately get interpreted that way a lot of the times. We love our nicknames for some reason.

I'll try to get a list of the more popular ones and PM you that, should hopefully provide a laugh.

I NEW I needed to google braai !!!!!!!!!
    Just got stuck with brie cheese

Gee guys, i enjoyed the little "brawl" you had and i was worried at some time that this might end up in a racist showdown and it did'nt. Like you both for that. But if i need to put money on this discussion it will go to KOOPER
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    Gee guys, i enjoyed the little "brawl" you had and i was worried at some time that this might end up in a racist showdown and it did'nt. Like you both for that. But if i need to put money on this discussion it will go to KOOPER
    lol, nah, there's never really a brawl between us, that's just how me and Matra debate things on rare occasions. There's really no ill intent on either side.

yeah grow up willys and NEVER get in the middle of a fight between two mates.
    You know they'll both turn on you and tell you to fornicate and depart

There was open and supported info on both sides being explored and used to expand the greater understanding. Accept that is VERY unusual for most interweb forums, but we're different
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-21-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: damn innuendo :(

You know they'll both turn on you and tell you to depart whilst fornicataing
    ...and I don't think anyone would like to see Matra and Kooper fornicate.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    ...and I don't think anyone would like to see Matra and Kooper fornicate.
    Speak for yourself.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Pay enough and anything is possible

Pay enough and anything is possible
    Apparently british meter maids prove this incorrect.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information