Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Money

Need Money

Well I'm almost 16, and I'd like to get a car somewhat soon after I turn 16 (by 17 for sure), but I need money. Sure my parents will contribute a big chunk, but to get something I want, I need to go above and beyond.

So I figure I need to earn more money. I've got about $1,800 saved up (now that my camera took a huge chunk of that) which is obviously a fraction of what I need. So what are some good ways a 15 year old can earn money? I already wash the cars and take care of the neighbor's dogs when they leave. And doing manual labor for my dad's company I can earn $8 an hour. Thus @ $8 an hour (and about $20 per hour washing cars) To earn enough for the car I want, I need to work a full time job (2,000 hours a year) for a year at $8 an hour. But there has to be a way to earn more than $8 per hour without graduating high school/college yet right? I would sell drugs, but what with it being illegal and all, that leaves me with legal activities. (Damn if only I could be a crack dealer...)

Anything you guys do for extra money? I'll probably end up saving until senior year or mid senior year so that I will have enough.

FYI, here is the EXACT color/leather/19" combo I want, if I get my dream car (doubtful):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...20630238QQrdZ1

I suppose I could offer photography services, since I made about $50 an hour at it once...? I just really need some good ideas..

ok, end rant...
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Find somewhere that you can do under-the-table work. If you're mechanically inclined and have a space to do it, you can do some auto mechanicing. Even simple stuff like fluid changes and brake jobs can net you some decent money.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

heres some advice, dont get a M3 as your first car. Do you expect your parents to pay your insurance too? Get a used one that you can pay cash for, and your insurance should be lower if you dont get collision coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    I would sell drugs, but what with it being illegal and all, that leaves me with legal activities. (Damn if only I could be a crack dealer...)
    Well thats where the moneys at

Plus you could always resort to male prostitution.

Why not just go work in a fast food place like most 15yr olds do? And then buy a cheap banger, like most kids do?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Why not just go work in a fast food place like most 15yr olds do? And then buy a cheap banger, like most kids do?
    Because I'm not most kids.

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang

Plus you could always resort to male prostitution.
    I thought about it, but there's only a market for it in Montrose, and I don't want aids.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Find somewhere that you can do under-the-table work. If you're mechanically inclined and have a space to do it, you can do some auto mechanicing. Even simple stuff like fluid changes and brake jobs can net you some decent money.
    Hmm...not a bad idea, any numbers you could possibly throw out?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    and I don't want aids.
    that's what condoms are for
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

At first you'd have to undercut what the local shops charge. But once you get some street cred and people know you do quality work, you can step up your prices a bit. You can make upwards of $30/hr. But don't expect to make that at first.

Places like Midas, Pep Boys, etc. usually charge $100/axle for brakes (including parts). For an average car (Accord, Passat, Camry sized) pads should run about $30-40. Charge $60 and you just pocketed at least $20. It should take you less than a half hour to do that job. If you're doing rotors, it gets a little pricier, but you can make more, too.

But even at that $60, you're undercutting the other places by $40, which people will like, and it leaves you room to up your prices later as you gain skill. Plus as you get better at that kind of stuff, it won't take you as long.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

An M3 huh? Yea I used to have crazy thoughts too when I was 15 and thinking about saving for a car, but not that crazy. Man, I hate to burst your bubble, but unless your parents are really giving you a BIG chunk, this is just not realistic. I mean, even after you've bought the car and paid off your first year of insurance, the cost of maintaining that thing and just putting gas in it is going to be uber hard. The last gen M3 before that one would be a bit more realistic/attainable, but still a very crazy plan if you ask me. I got a 2001 Jetta for 12grand $CAD, and I'm more than satisfied with it. The amount of money I put towards gas is absolutely miniscule, and makes almost no difference on my bank account. With it I also got free VW reliability that comes with most if not all the cars they've been building for over 20 years. Get something low profile, low maintenance. Take some advice, go easy on yourself now, especially your wallet. You'll be kicking yourself if you put every dollar into keeping an expensive car on the road, and are left with nothing to do on the side, like the little things you'd normally take for granted e.g: rent a movie, go for mcdonalds etc. Save your money now, get a decent education, go crazy later. Most people start small and work their way up, and sure it would be nice to start at the top, but it would financially bite you in the arse later.

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    At first you'd have to undercut what the local shops charge. But once you get some street cred and people know you do quality work, you can step up your prices a bit. You can make upwards of $30/hr. But don't expect to make that at first.

Places like Midas, Pep Boys, etc. usually charge $100/axle for brakes (including parts). For an average car (Accord, Passat, Camry sized) pads should run about $30-40. Charge $60 and you just pocketed at least $20. It should take you less than a half hour to do that job. If you're doing rotors, it gets a little pricier, but you can make more, too.

But even at that $60, you're undercutting the other places by $40, which people will like, and it leaves you room to up your prices later as you gain skill. Plus as you get better at that kind of stuff, it won't take you as long.
    Dont you need to have a licence in automotive repair to do these things?

But where do I do that quiggs? Like at a local shop or what?

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    An M3 huh? Yea I used to have crazy thoughts too when I was 15 and thinking about saving for a car, but not that crazy. Man, I hate to burst your bubble, but unless your parents are really giving you a BIG chunk, this is just not realistic. I mean, even after you've bought the car and paid off your first year of insurance, the cost of maintaining that thing and just putting gas in it is going to be uber hard. The last gen M3 before that one would be a bit more realistic/attainable, but still a very crazy plan if you ask me. I got a 2001 Jetta for 12grand $CAD, and I'm more than satisfied with it. The amount of money I put towards gas is absolutely miniscule, and makes almost no difference on my bank account. With it I also got free VW reliability that comes with most if not all the cars they've been building for over 20 years. Get something low profile, low maintenance. Take some advice, go easy on yourself now, especially your wallet. You'll be kicking yourself if you put every dollar into keeping an expensive car on the road, and are left with nothing to do on the side, like the little things you'd normally take for granted e.g: rent a movie, go for mcdonalds etc. Save your money now, get a decent education, go crazy later. Most people start small and work their way up, and sure it would be nice to start at the top, but it would financially bite you in the arse later.

Cheers,

Rob
    Like I said that's my dream 1st car, I just need to get a bunch of money first, then figure out what I want, I just need car money in general, it's not necesarily for an M3.

Dude, take my advice. Don't get an M3, esp. an E46. The insurance company will gladly be on your ass 24/7 waiting for you mess up so that they can rack up the money.

But you can try and do what I did. Just do odd jobs around for people. I didn't really start working for a long time until almost 17.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

maybe i can just convince my dad to get a new M3 and i'll drive it often

But really, like I said, the M3 isn't what this is for, that was just kind of a related topic, like if i could have anything, thats what i would get.

Thread Information