Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Brock dies.

Peter Brock dies.

A leading racing driver has reportedly died in a racing accident in Western Australia. There are unconfirmed reports that the dead man is nine-times Bathurst 1000 winner Peter Brock.
    Sky News reported the accident took place in the Targa rally event in WA and involved one car, which crashed into a tree.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060908/23/10ghp.html

will try and keep this updated.

this is truly shattering news if it is true. australia will have lost its greatest motorsport icon if this is confirmed to be true. will be a very sad day for motorsport fans if it is.
    Last edited by shockwaveracing; 09-07-2006 at 10:40 PM.

This is confirmed, just saw the news headline on tele. Lost control of his Daytona Cobra and hit a tree at the driver's door.

RIP Brocky.

Man....that sucks. R.I.P. Peter Perfect
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Sorry to say I've never heard of him but I wish his family the best at their time of loss. It's always sad to see someone go, but at least he left the world doing what he loved. RIP.

2 famous aussies in a week thats bad
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

australia mourns the loss of a second icon in a week, first there Steve Irwin, and now arguably australia's greatest ever motorsport driver. there are no acknowledgements that i can make for what has just happened. i am truly, deeply saddened by this event, and the loss of a true legend. this is a sad day for the motorsport world.

Rest in Peace - Peter Brock (you will be very sorely missed)

Peter Geoffrey Brock (February 26, 1945 - September 8, 2006) was an Australian racecar driver and TV personality.

Brock rose to public attention in touring car racing, winning the Bathurst 1000, Australia's most prominent domestic motorsport event, a total of nine times through the 1970s and '80s. As the lead driver for the pseudo-factory Holden Dealer Team, in a succession of Holden Toranas and later Commodores the smooth-talking, clean-cut Brock became a household name well beyond motor racing fans, and was probably the best known Australian racing driver after Sir Jack Brabham.

Brock and the Holden Dealer Team became involved, with full factory approval and assistance, in producing a number of high-performance modifications to the Commodores from 1980 to 1988. It was around this time that Brock began his run of six Bathurst 1000 wins in seven years, including his victory in the 1979 event, which he won by a record six laps. He has won a total of 9 Bathurst 1000 events and 1 Bathurst 24h event.

HDT, under Brock's direction and with Holden factory approval, produced a number of modified high-performance roadgoing Commodores through the early and mid 1980s. Some were "homologation specials" produced to meet the Group A racing regulations.

Brock developed an interest in New Age-style spirituality through practitioner Eric Dowker. Brock began publicly supporting, and eventually began to fit to HDT specials, a device called the "Energy Polarizer", containing strong permanent magnets, which claimed to improve the performance and handling of vehicles through "aligning the molecules". The overwhelming majority of the Australian motoring community regarded the device as pseudoscience. Brock also recommended that the tyre pressures for his polariser-equipped vehicles at what many regarded as near-dangerously low levels (22psi). Holden, fearing the consequences of being associated with the device, cut ties with Brock and set up an alternative racing/modification operation, Holden Special Vehicles.

Brock continued to race in privately-supported teams for some years afterwards, but returned to the factory Holden Racing Team in 1994. Brock retired from full-time driving in 1997.

When not racing, he often appeared on New Zealand television screens as a presenter, hosting motoring shows, notably TV3's Police Stop (1996-1998) and TVNZ's Love that Car (2000).

After his 'retirement' he made two returns to Bathurst (2002 and 2004) and competed in the Nations Cup for highly modified and exotic cars in 2004. In 2002, he returned to top-level touring car racing as a team owner with the entry of "Team Brock" into the V8 Supercar category. However, he sold his share in the team to Kees Weel at the end of 2003.

He occasionally competed in various enthusiast-level motorsport events such as the Targa Tasmania. The team's vehicles are actually constructed by Holden Special Vehicles. His smooth on-camera persona and familiarity to older Australians continues to sell products - currently Mobil oils and Bridgestone tyres, and the huge controversy (at the time) of the Polarizer is seemingly forgotten.

Peter Brock died at the age of 61, in a racing accident after colliding with a tree during TargaWest '06 in Western Australia September 8, 2006, near the township of Gidgegannup.

Brock was driving with Mick Hone in a Daytona Coupe.
    Last edited by shockwaveracing; 09-07-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Oh My God. 2 Icons in 1 week. This is a sad time for our country
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

King Of The Mountain Killed In Racing Accident

Just herd from a Friend that peter Brock was killed in WA in a rally accident i think. What a ****ed up week this has been to legends.
    My mum ardours PB she meet him some years ago when walking into him he thought he hurt her but she was just in shock from seeing him. Also meet PB at last years Bathurst got some of his hats also i liked him he was a bit out there at times being a greenie type but i think he was a nice guy. My first memory's of V8's are with PB.
    R.I.P King Of The Mountain.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

you cutnpaste that article didnt you?
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    Oh My God. 2 Icons in 1 week. This is a sad time for our country
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by SMH
    Australian motor racing legend Peter Brock has been killed in an accident while taking part in the Targa West rally in Western Australia, motor sport officials have confirmed.

Brock, 61, from Melbourne, became Australia's best known motor sport personality and a dominant figure in the sport.

West Australian police say a car competing in the Targa West rally crashed into a tree at Gidgegannup about 30 kilometres north-east of Perth about 12pm.

The car was carrying two people and one had died in the crash, he said.

The major crash investigation unit was at the scene, he said. Ambulances were not called.

Motor sport officials have confirmed the driver was Brock.

Brock, who was married with three children, was driving with Mick Hone in a Daytona Coupe.

The circumstances of the accident remain unclear.

The Targa West - which began in Perth yesterday - takes place over four days and is divided into two categories, competition and challenge, the latter catering for relatively standard specification road cars.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) said in a statement the accident occurred at about 1.50pm (AEST).

Sixty-one-year-old Brock's co-driver, believed to Mick Hone, has been taken to hospital in a stable condition.

CAMS said it will conduct a full investigation into the incident.

In the meantime, CAMS and event officials are working with the relevant civil authorities.

"On behalf of the motor sport community, CAMS offers its sincere sympathy to Peter's family and many friends," the statement said.

Targa West is a tarmac special stage rally.

Brock was a dominant figure in Australian motor sport, winning the Bathurst 1000, Australia's most prominent domestic motorsport event, a total of nine times through the 1970s and 80s.

He won six Bathurst 1000 wins in seven years, including his victory in the 1979 event, which he won by a record six laps.

He retired from full-time driving in 1997.

Since 1997, he had made two return visits to Bathurst in 2002 and 2004 and returned to top-level touring car racing as a team owner of ``Team Brock'' in 2002 in the V8 Supercar category. A year later he sold his share in the team to Kees Weel.

In recent years, he occasionally competed in various motorsport events such as the Targa Tasmania.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...222310976.html

Quote Originally Posted by acemotorsport
    you cutnpaste that article didnt you?
    yes straight off of wikipedia, i know that it needs editing, but it gives people, who havent heard of him, an idea of who he was...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...222310976.html

It's true
    Two Aussie icons in a week!
    The actual specifics of the accident are still unknown. RIP Brocky

Man, this week seriously sucks.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Thread Information