Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 1980s cars can be regarded as classics?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which 1980s cars can be regarded as classics?

Interested in any opinions on which cars built in the 1980s can be regarded as classics, either now or in the future?

Myself, I'd nominate the Ford Sierra RS500, Audi Quattro, BMW M3. The Sierra and BMW for their track successes and current day desirability. The Quattro because it redefined the direction of both high performance road vehicles and rallying. The Subaru Impreza WRX, Mits Lancer Evos, Lancia Delta Integrale, etc, would not have been produced if the Quattro hadn't paved the way.
    Any comments?

I think the technical term for classic is 20 years old...at 30 or 40 it becomes antique.

I think there are plenty of cars that can be considered collectable...eg datsuns, early nissans, mazdas, etc. etc.....there are plenty.

However, I do believe that they all must be considered classic based on their age.

Does that mean a 1983 Camry is a classic? Yes, in the same way that a shitbox from the 1960's is classic.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    I think the technical term for classic is 20 years old...at 30 or 40 it becomes antique.

I think there are plenty of cars that can be considered collectable...eg datsuns, early nissans, mazdas, etc. etc.....there are plenty.

However, I do believe that they all must be considered classic based on their age.

Does that mean a 1983 Camry is a classic? Yes, in the same way that a shitbox from the 1960's is classic.

Matra refers to his Alpine which is only 10 years old as being a classic in another thread. However, I take your point. Most 80s cars wouldn't be regarded as classics yet. However, which ones are likely to be classics. I think the three I mentioned will be. Obviously any Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini will be classics. Also, such cars as the BMW 635 CSi, Mazda RX-7 series 1, Peugeot 205 GTi, VW Golf GTi Mk 1 & 11, Mecedes 190E 2.3-16. I guess I'm not referring to everyday cars which will only fit the "classic" definition once they become scarce. I'm referring to something a bit special, for any reason.

Volvo 240 Grp. A
    2.1 Turbo engine
    340hp and 260km/t

The Volvo 240 Turbo. It performed well in it's group despite the fact that it's engine was smaller than the other cars in the group. Since it was fitted with a turbo the size of the engine was multiplied by some number I don't remember, and thus it was forced to drive in another group.

I am going to follow up on this post when I get home, since the information is not sufficient.
    Probably the only UCP member without a car D:

Given that I find it difficult to think of most of the cars of the time in the past tense, thinking which of them could be classics requires some effort.

The Audi Quattro is indeed deserving, and is also the most likely to deserve the title of “car of the decade” for the 1980s.

The Porsche 959 and Ferrari F40 can rightfully be coinsidered classics as well, despite their looking just as new now as they did then.

Most everyday cars from the 1980s will have to wait before we can discern true classics among them.
    But some of them stand out at least in terms of style.
    The Audi 100 of 1982 is certainly a design classic, in a modern and harmonious sort of way (which is lacking in many present-day cars of the same category), with its combination of straight lines and curves.
    The slightly smaller Ford Sierra of 1983 marked the beginning of a new streamilining fashion quite reminescent of the 1930s. Based on the Probe III concept car developed in the framework of the West-German “Auto 2000” project, it had great influence on Ford's North-American styling, indicating that ideas would flow more often than before, from Cologne to Dearborn.

I'd add the Renault Espace, not as a minivan, but as a monocorps.

Then there are some rarer species like the DeLorean DMC12 or the original Ventur(y)i.

I believe that the Pontiac Fiero deserves to be mentioned as well, as the very idea of making a mid-engined sporty coupé in North America, a few years after the ’80/81 oil crunch (not the most favourable time and place for such cars), was a feat in itself.

I admit a certain partiality towards the early-80s Mercedes 200~300/E/TE. They just look fine to me, but I wouldn't call them “80s cars”.

I consider lots of '80s cars to be classics, including mine, the Nissan S12-series Silvia (200SX in the U.S., Gazelle in Australia).
    Other '80s Classics, IMO, include the MkII Supra, Ferrari 308/328, the 86-89 Honda Accord which skyrocketed the model into prominence, the Lamborghini Countach which was the ultimate supercar for most of the '80s, the first-generation RX-7, the BMW 6-series, the Jaguar XJS, and of course the AE86.

Hi. Test post 3334

Hi. Test post 333 4

Quote Originally Posted by NetoPingeRy View Post
    Hi. Test post 333 4
    Uh huh...

BTW, saw the Yugo again and reminded me - the company behind the Yugo started out selling re-badged Fiat 600s in Croatia back in the 1960s - check out my blog entry about it, if you're interested:
    Classic Cars Blog: The new, new Fiat 500

G
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Matra refers to his Alpine which is only 10 years old as being a classic in another thread. However, I take your point. Most 80s cars wouldn't be regarded as classics yet. However, which ones are likely to be classics. I think the three I mentioned will be. Obviously any Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini will be classics. Also, such cars as the BMW 635 CSi, Mazda RX-7 series 1, Peugeot 205 GTi, VW Golf GTi Mk 1 & 11, Mecedes 190E 2.3-16. I guess I'm not referring to everyday cars which will only fit the "classic" definition once they become scarce. I'm referring to something a bit special, for any reason.
    TO go along with the BMW 6 Series, it'll be maybe a few years before the 8 series becomes a classic. Maybe in a deacde or so, though.

The most interest is De Lorean. It was very modern car for that time.

if i'm allowed to say any car from the 80's, i would say that the ferrari f40 was very classical in the sense that it had a huge influence on later supercars (it was a major supercar at the time).

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I have a hard time calling anything from the 80's classic yet...to me it's just old, needs maybe another 10-15 years before anything will be classic if indeed it does happen.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

how about all the homologation specials? Ie: quattro, 323 gtx, Impulse..eh, i guess most of those came out late 80s early 90s
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

The is a BADASS car!!! It's so... Vice .
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Volkswagen Rabbit???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information