Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Really Long, Drawn Out Explanation (Apology? Whatever...)

A Really Long, Drawn Out Explanation (Apology? Whatever...)

Yah.

Well, I'm sure (in a not conceited way, mind you), that you've all been wondering about my disappearance from these boards, and, in short, while I don't want to draw great loads of attention to myself, I thought you should all know what's going on instead of wondering why I'm not here or (daresay I) resort to hearsay. But I know you all better than that, and I'm sure you won't resort to such drastic means, but I'll go for the egotistical, overdone essay instead.

First things first:I, as some of you may or may not know, am a diehard urbanist/enviromentalist (weird, I know), and I realized sometime years ago that a time like this would happen where either my appreciation for cars or my appreciation for nature and urbanity would cancel out. It has, several times, in fact, done so, in which I would lose almost all interest in cities in preference for auto stuff, and vice versa. And it seems, unfortunately, that my interest in automobiles is almost dead. Checking back at this forum sparked it back a little bit, but upon a lot of thought and research done, I declare myself 'anti-car,' if you will. I don't know if you all know, city+car=bad (look at Detroit). Cities must be designed around public transit, or else face an awful hell of poorly planned sprawl and a deteriorating core, bringing as well a death to the traditional neighbourhood and a disturbing growth to suburban sprawl (I could give you a ten page essay on how suburbia is killing America, but I'll spare you from that).
    Now, don't get me wrong. I still love cars, and I still greatly enjoy seeing shows and beautiful automobiles, and races, nd tweaking and wotnot. But, to me, all it really eventually boils down to is its use. The romanticism of the car is lost to me, and I just can't find myself with enough interest to come onto a message board and talk about them daily anymore.
    I think it might be interesting worth noting that my car chopping hobby has been turned into a buildings diagrams database hobby over at http://www.skyscraperpage.com [/shamelessplug].

Second, in late June I bought a 30 year old electric piano, the mighty Wurlitzer 200A. Most of my time (and all of my money) has been spent on rehabilitating it and playing with the band (and that's a kind of miniscule reason, I know).

But that's not all of it. What really seemed to kill my seduction to the automobile happened on Independence Day. My grandma was driving my aunt and uncle around the city that day (this is the uncle that collects cars;he owns the Bentley S2 and gave us the Jaguar XJS). When they were on their way back their car, a 2001 Buick Regal, was rear-ended at a stoplight by a 90's Dodge Dakota moving at about 30mph. The driver was arrested and was found to have been hopped up on a grocery list of medication. His court case is going on as you are reading this explanation. It left my grandma with a broken arm, and my aunt dead by morning. The following Tuesday I had a flight to San Antonio to catch (awesome town, sorry), and upon my return a week later I discovered my uncle, too had died. In short, the event turned the rest of my summer upside down, tangled in a web of legal issues, physical matters, taxation, and emotional dealings. I don't think I actually did much anything from July to early August.
    On the bittersweet side, I ended up getting his 1990 Toyota Cressida and his 2002 Ford Thunderbird, which I can't say I'm exactly thrilled to be driving. The Bentley was sold or given (I can't remember) to the car club, but it's still at their house if anyone still has interest in some photographs.
    In essence, it not only left me shaky about driving cars (think Radiohead's 'Airbag,'), but severed my real only direct connection to car collecting/tinkering/whatever. And honestly, I can't say I mourn it too much.

So, jah, that's about it. Thanks for bearing through that dense mass of text (don't worry, you're almost done). I'll still try to hang around here, but I can guarentee you all I'll be taking the train by the time I'm in college (Milwaukee's transit system is a joke, mind you).

Out.
    Last edited by Esperante; 09-25-2006 at 05:28 PM.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

While I diseagree, I respect your opinion.

(The large quantity/low quality/low price housing is causing urban sprawl and ruining cities, in my opinion, not the car.)

Nice to have you back, even if only partially.

Oh and San Antonio IS awesome, Texas represent.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thanks, and while low cost is a must for housing sprawl, it cannot exist without the existence of the car. The streetcar suburb (good planning for the pedestrian in good taste and good economically and well constructed) is long dead. The entirety of my opinion is that cars should be a nich market:reserved only for those who have them as hobbyists/racers, or in necessity. It should be the gov't's responsibility to provide efficient public transit. It all really boils down to choice. Everyone should have the option to drive or take transit, and thus, those who choose to drive should not expect the city to cater to their cars in terms of good traffic and abundant parking. I should also note that Houston is notorious in the urbanity community as being almost completely devoid of zoning, thus whatever good planning was left in the city was replaced by back breaking to succomb to the car (parking garages, surface lots, removal of transit, growth of suburbs). If you like using cars, awesome, but use them responsibly and in good reason, if you will.

Heh, sorry for turning my own pity seeking thread into a political soapbox. I honestly don't mind if this turns into a debate.
    Last edited by Esperante; 09-25-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Sorry to hear about your family members.
    People change it's not something you need to apologize for.

Sorry to hear of your losses, but your not the first UCP'er to come up missing for a long time so dont sweat it.

Good luck with whatever it is your doing now.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thanks, and, by the way, what's the deal with all the Pontiac Bonneville racing avatars? It's hilarious on it's own but I want in on the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    Thanks, and, by the way, what's the deal with all the Pontiac Bonneville racing avatars? It's hilarious on it's own but I want in on the joke.
    Quiggs found a picture of a bonneville at an autocross to make fun of rockefellas car. I made it my avatar and then people who weren't in on it killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Quiggs found a picture of a bonneville at an autocross to make fun of rockefellas car. I made it my avatar and then people who weren't in on it killed it.
    Now its Texas (boo) VS. New York.
    John says:
    i'm afraid to fap

I should go make a Wisconsin sucks avatar...

Wisconsin...don't represent...I love Wisconsin but it sucks at the same time. Really I just miss when I lived in Illinois.

Anyway that was off subject. You will be missed, sorry for the loss of family members, good luck in all your pursuits, maybe someday you can solve the public transit problem faced by many cities. Milwaukee's public transit may suck but they don't have that bad of traffic. Just all their downtown ramps are being redone right now. It'll be nice in like 5 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Now its Texas (boo) VS. New York.
    F*uck you.

New York>Texas

Houston is notorious in the urbanity community as being almost completely devoid of zoning, thus whatever good planning was left in the city was replaced by back breaking to succomb to the car (parking garages, surface lots, removal of transit, growth of suburbs). If you like using cars, awesome, but use them responsibly and in good reason, if you will.
    While we may not be a model for zoning, it's not like we have businesses right next to houses or anything.

New York>Texas
    Cars>Urban planning

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    F*uck you.
    Lmao

Dont get mad just becasue NY pwns Texas.

Supporting Members Pwn
    John says:
    i'm afraid to fap

Thread Information