Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer turning itself on?

Computer turning itself on?

I have a strange problem.
    I turn off my computer every night before bed, but for the last two nights, while laying in bed, the computer would turn back on. 20 minutes after I turned it off.
    Is that even possible?

My computer is good at developing weird habits...like when paint stopped working. It started again not long ago, I still dont know why. At the moment MSN is being a bit screwy, and IE is pretty much dead...but at least paint works.
    But thats not the real issue. The real issue is up there, at the top.
    Thanks...if anyone knows the answer to what is happening.
    All about the t-tops

You might have wake-on-lan enabled. Check your CMOS settings.

EDIT: If all else fails, plug out your network cable/ internet cable and see if it still happens. If it does, unplug the power when you go to sleep (really crude solution, but hey, if it works... )

I am computer literate, but I'm not a complete library kinda guy.
    Could you please tell me how to do that?
    All about the t-tops

I had the same thing happen to me, check in the bios whether there is a wake up event setting on.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Bios?
    All about the t-tops

If you don't no what a BIOS is then don't think your computer literate.

When you start up your computer it will say to enter the bios press del or F1 or something like that. Just go through the setting until there is one that asks whether you want your computer to wake up at a particlar time and disable it.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Press Del on the numpad of your keyboard (just next to 0) to access the BIOS. Do this at startup, immediately after turning your computer on. Normally it is written "Press del to enter setup" or something like that when you turn on your computer. It's possible that it's another key that you have to press to access the BIOS, like one of the Fx key but generally it is the .del key.

Yeah, Syko is right.

When you start up your PC, look for something that says "Press something to enter setup". Press whichever key your PC specifies.

You can pretty much follow Syko's instructions from there, going through the menus and looking for a setting to enable wake-on-something and disabling it. Just make sure to save before you exit.

It's become sentient.

It will soon build itself some arms/legs and strangle you in your sleep.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I had this problem once, it was actually the keyboard. Are you normally able to turn it on just by hitting the space bar? I used to have one that I could do that with, not long afterwards the spacebar pretty much died. As soon as I replaced it, no more random wake-ups.

If it's really bad, see if there's an additional power switch on the back of the tower, flick that off and nothing'll wake it.

Nah it doesnt wake up by pressing space bar, sure it wasnt just asleep?
    Yeah I'm on Win98, Ive never had XP yet, my mother doesnt believe in spending money on a computer.

Maybe on XP its called BIOS, but on 98 when you start it up, I know it says 'Press del to enter setup'.
    Ill try that, thanks.

EDIT: I went into setup, found CMOS and BIOS settings, sifted through them carefully, couldnt find anything that might start up the computer.
    Last edited by TVR IS KING; 09-26-2006 at 12:19 AM.
    All about the t-tops

It wasn't just asleep, definately not. Sleep didn't work with that one. It could be a simple short in the on button, all it does is close a connection between two pins. My on button died once, I used to just jump the two pins with a piece of metal.

Fair enough. My computer has a habit of being stupid for no reason, as I mentioned above. Although that isnt really for no reason, I mean..it can be explained.
    All about the t-tops

Its masturbating!

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    Fair enough. My computer has a habit of being stupid for no reason, as I mentioned above. Although that isnt really for no reason, I mean..it can be explained.
    If you want to get rid of every oroblem i suggest you reinstall windows and empty the HDD before that. You do need a working windows disc though

Thread Information