Thread: mazda rx7 series four

mazda rx7 series four

I have just purchased a series 4 mazda rx7, its a non turbo auto(i know thats the sad part) just wondering if anyone has got any info on it and what would be the best/cheapest mods to make to give it more power. I know they had 146 hp from the factory and were rocket ships with the turbo option, but as im going to use it daily i would rather keep it naturally aspirated for reliabilities sake! I scoured the net and could only find one review on it, if anyone knows of any links to a good site on series fours, let me know!

sorry i dont know...

no idea on sites/modifications, what colour? or if you have any pics? ive never seen an rx-7s series 4, only 3 and 6/5/ or four!

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKER
    I have just purchased a series 4 mazda rx7, its a non turbo auto(i know thats the sad part) just wondering if anyone has got any info on it and what would be the best/cheapest mods to make to give it more power. I know they had 146 hp from the factory and were rocket ships with the turbo option, but as im going to use it daily i would rather keep it naturally aspirated for reliabilities sake! I scoured the net and could only find one review on it, if anyone knows of any links to a good site on series fours, let me know!

rotaries, especially old ones, are something you really need to keep an eye on and at times your probably going to feel like sending it to simsmetal, so realistically i dont think having the turbo wouldve added all that great a burden to running the car.
    I am the Stig

ah fpv, i didnt think it would be a v8 fan answering my call for info on my rx7 lol...dont be afeared i still have my faithfull xa in the shed and if uve been wondering ive actually moved into my new house thats why i wasnt online for a while. Anyway back to it, the 79-85 rx7s were basically the same shape as allan moffat raced in the group c days, without the wings and flared guards ofcourse, the series 4 were the first of the new shape 86-91 i think, and after that came the series 6 came out. The series 6 was a very succesful race car in australia as it won the bathurst 12 hour twice and the eastern creek 12 hour aswell. The series 6 was in the fast and the furious movie with vin deisel driving it at the start of the movie and winning the race! I know turbo rotaries are very tempramentle, before i bought mine i had a motacheck inspection carried out and the engine gave a 100 psi compression reading which means its spot on, im getting it tuned and serviced this weekend and i did find a site this evening called www.rx7.com which basically suggested an exhaust modification is essential above any other modification. I plan to put a 5 speed, stainless free flow exhaust and modified filter, ill let you know the difference these mods have made. In the states theyve actaully got a triple rotored rx7 to pull 6.95 seconds at nearly 200 mph, thats got to be the quickest rotary in the world!

well i havent heard of any street quad rotors so you would think the fastest rotary is a triple rotor. staying away from a turbo model is bound to pay dividends somewhere, like one of my teachers at school wont touch a turbo or 4wd for their extra cost, thats why his 911 is just the standard model.........but rotaries are great little engines when looked after and kept running. as you said the engine got tested and came back spot on with a 100psi compression rating, well then the cars obviously been well looked after.
    I am the Stig

the first thing that should be adressed on a 2nd gen is the exhaust, the main cat tends to get clogged and needs to be punched out every couple thousand miles, not the best thing for performance. a header mid pipe then a y pipe and a nice set of mufflers shoudl get you started, then a cold air intake, some ignition mods and an ecu upgrade, if you dont want to go turbo you might consider a small shot of n2o to keep it going. theres not much you can do without going turbo on these cars, you could rip the engine out when you swap the tranny and have it ported, gains of up to 90hp can be had from a nice port job on a 6 port motor. after a couple of thee mods your car will be pretty fast, considering the relative lightness of the fc(you can help that out by getting rid of any unnessesary crap(carpet, sound insulation, etc. depending on how far your willing to go) any more questions just ask
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

if u want a site www.pacperformance.com.au is one but they are a group that does up rotaries (N/A or turbo and even supercharged) and its more so for non-street going cars, but check it out any way you can get in contact with them and ask them for advice. also you can peripheral port ur engine. its basically a polish port relive on a rotary, it makes it go like theres no tomorrow and it doesn't effect reliablity so if ur looking for something to do its a good start.

also you can peripheral port ur engine. its basically a polish port relive on a rotary, it makes it go like theres no tomorrow and it doesn't effect reliablity
    you have to either be kidding or you dont know what your talking about, peripherial porting you engine is the most drastic post job you can do and your engine will give up after a thousand miles or so, basicaly it fills in the normal side ports and makes a direct port strait to the rotor just like it is on the exhaust side of pre-renesis rotaries, a mild to moderate street port of the the intake and sometimes the exhaust ports will not drasticaly decrease reliability, bridgports create another port next to the original side port, they sound awsome but can decrease reliability greatly if not doen correctly(i.e. porting to much and breaking the water seal) they also make great power tho not as much as a peripheral port. j-ports are bridgports that intentionaly break the water seal in the name of more flow, about as reliable as p-ports.

So basically if you turbo charge a rotary engine theres no need to port it? But if i was to keep it N/A, im better off with exhaust, air filter ECU and a mild port? At this stage im leaning more towards exhaust, air filter and 5 speed box, as i want economy aswell as power when i need it, as i mentioned on a seperate thread, the economy of my 13 b is shocking and i want to keep it as an every day driver, it may pay me to clean the injectors out aswell to i think, i want to get atleast 10 litres per 100km, is this possible from a series 4? They are heavier than series one two three and series 6 rx7s I have been told, is this correct?

i think you'll find the most changes when you swap to a 5 speed. not only will you have a better spread, and the auto wont confuse itself trying to find the best gear
    I am the Stig

ok bugger me... i was under the impression it didn't effect reliability. oh well it does boost ur performance . i find it hard to belive it "give up after a 100miles or so" as you said but i didn't even know it effected reliability so i really should shut up

the series four 6 port n/a motor was the motor that you would see the most gain in from porting, as theres alot of room for improvment, the 13b-t's(turbo FC motors) have impressive gains from porting also but not as drastic as on a 6 port as the turbo motor comes with decent sized ports from the factory. on the 13b-REW porting gives some gains but its not worth a rebuild just for the port job, if your going to rebuild it anyway a nice port couldnt hurt tho ,

so a port does effect reliability or not, or is it dependant on the size of the port? just wondering cos if im going to learn any where its here

yes depends on the size and type of the port job

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    yes depends on the size and type of the port job
    thanks

Thread Information