Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving permit help!!

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,

Driving permit help!!

I'm a bit confused right now, according to DMV I need to complete the followings to get a permit:

1. At least 15 years old
    2. Fill out DMV application (DL44)
    3. Obtain your parents or guardian signature on the application form
    4. Present an acceptable birth data/legal presence document
    5. Have completed Drivers Education
    6. Provide social security number
    7. Pay a $12 application fee
    8. Pass the drivers permit test

But then I was looking for online Driver's Ed and they said that they'll send me a certificate after completing the online course. So does that certificate fulfills #5 mentioned above?
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Either that or them and their forms take care of 1-8.

I don't see the point in taking an online course. Try to find a local drivers ed company and go with that. You get person to person learning instead screen to person, and you also get driving experience. In connecticut you needed your permit before attending drivers ed tho. You might want to check up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I don't see the point in taking an online course. Try to find a local drivers ed company and go with that. You get person to person learning instead screen to person, and you also get driving experience. In connecticut you needed your permit before attending drivers ed tho. You might want to check up on that.
    That's strange. How do you get your permit? Here in Kansas, we had to take Driver's Ed to get our permit - at 14 back then, older now. So, your state is the strange one, not the rest of us.

I agree with you on the online course. The whole point of Driver's Ed is to get practical driving experience in a controlled environment. I sure wouldn't want to be on the road with someone who has taken online Driver's Ed. Of course, I don't like being on the road with most of the people out there.
    Last edited by Matt; 09-29-2006 at 07:40 AM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

You take a simple test to get the permit. The drivers ed is so you are able to get your license, then you take the license test.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    I'm a bit confused right now, according to DMV I need to complete the followings to get a permit:

1. At least 15 years old
    2. Fill out DMV application (DL44)
    3. Obtain your parents or guardian signature on the application form
    4. Present an acceptable birth data/legal presence document
    5. Have completed Drivers Education
    6. Provide social security number
    7. Pay a $12 application fee
    8. Pass the drivers permit test

But then I was looking for online Driver's Ed and they said that they'll send me a certificate after completing the online course. So does that certificate fulfills #5 mentioned above?
    hmm i get to do this for credit in school. It's a mandatory class in San Francisco.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Jamaica, New York, USA... for now, out in the DR studyin!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    You take a simple test to get the permit. The drivers ed is so you are able to get your license, then you take the license test.
    same thing in NY. i took the written test for my permit, and then took the driver's ed course. when i get bak to nyc, im gonna take the driving test.
    WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jimi Hendrix

i don't know bout laws out there but here in TX i got a hardship license when i was 15(allowed me to drive to and from school, actually i was able to drive from like 7am to 4pm), then when i turned 16, i went to get my drivers ed, after i finished i got my provisional license(a almost full license cept for not bein ablt to drive from midnight to 5am i believe), then @ 17 i got my full license.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

If you live in Ontario, you have to be 16 to drive. Then you take a written test to get your G1. Then you can drive but you have yo have fully licensed driver with at least four years of driving experience with you. You can't drive between midnight and 5.Can't drive on roads with a posted speed limit over 80 km/h including the 400-series highways, the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), the Don Valley Parkway (DVP), the Gardener Expressway, the E. C. Row Expressway, and the Conestoga Parkway in Kitchener-Waterloo. However, if your accompanying driver is a driving instructor licensed in Ontario, you may drive on any road. Then you can tack an actual driving test after 12 months (8 months if you take Drivers Ed) to get your G2. Then you take another driving test to get your G (full license)
    If you're in control you're not going fast enough.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    C'mon what's so bad about the online course? The school's Driver's Ed class is the same thing, and the teacher also won't let you drive either. My mom knows this guy who owns a small garage shop, and he said he can teach me the driving bits in his manual tranny '92 Acura Legend after I get my permit.

Thanks for the info, I guess after I receive the DMV certificate I can then take my parents to DMV to do the multiple choice test for a permit.

I hope the insurance isn't much for a Mk2 MX-5 compared to other cars.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    C'mon what's so bad about the online course? The school's Driver's Ed class is the same thing, and the teacher also won't let you drive either. My mom knows this guy who owns a small garage shop, and he said he can teach me the driving bits in his manual tranny '92 Acura Legend after I get my permit.

Thanks for the info, I guess after I receive the DMV certificate I can then take my parents to DMV to do the multiple choice test for a permit.

I hope the insurance isn't much for a Mk2 MX-5 compared to other cars.
    It shouldn't be...not very many teens drive MX-5's

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    For a two seat sports car, the insurance will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    You wish.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

I've never taken drivers education and never had to. I just drove the fat guy around, parallel parked, did a 3 point turn and got my licence. Ah the simple life

I suppose it may have helped that he was one of my dads good friends
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    You wish.
    yeah, theres at least 2 MX-5's at my school.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information