Thread: Need a Mini-help...

Need a Mini-help...

Hi to all of you! A friend of mine has just bought a brand new Mini Cooper Checkmate - I don't know if it's just a special edition for Italy: it's a Mini Cooper with some cosmetic changes.
    I need your help because on the dashboard there's this button: my friend says he hasn't found out in the instructions what it's about. He got his Mini with the optional "dashboard-packet" (I don't know what is its name, neither in Italian or English): behind the steering wheel there's not only the rev counter, but also the speedometer. However, he says that THE button is in every Mini - I think he's right.
    What I'd like to know is: what's the button's function?... My friend even tried to push it, but nothing happened.
    So, thanks if you can help us!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You've come to the right place, There are two Minis in our household...!

The button controls the dashboard lighting, each time you press it, it cycles through a different brightness setting, once it reaches 100% brightness, if you press it again it goes back down to about 10%.

You won't see anything in the day, but take it somewhere dark and turn the headlights on to activate the dashboard lights, then you can use the button.

Here, the package is called the 'Cockpit Chrono Pack', which means you have the fuel gauge, engine temperature gauge and others, depending on the model (could include a boost gauge on forced induction models, for example) in a chronograph-style 'pod' in the middle of the centre console. Your friend also has the interior chrome pack on his car, by the looks of it, which adds rings of chrome around the dials, controls etc. All minis come with the button in the picture though.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Clivey; 09-29-2006 at 03:34 AM.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Thank you Clivey! Yeah, tonight we'll try it. When I saw it I first thougth it had something to do with cruise control, but then my friend said that all Mini have it

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    All minis come with the button in the picture though.
    indeed...
    Maybe I'll post some pics of the Mini, because I'm going to buy a digi camera in a few days. However, the car is quite nice (for the money he spent, it HAS to be at least nice...), it's black and has some optional equipments:apart from the "Cockpit Chrono Pack" (which here is called "Chrono Pack"), it has bonnet stripes, additional headlamps, automatic clima, cd player and maybe something else that I don't remember right now. He ordered it with white 17" rims which are often fitted in the Cooper S model - standard Checkmate has some "U-shaped spokes" rims, which I find more original, but he didn't like them... If the U-shaped existed in white, he would have kept them, because I think he wants his Mini to have principally "two colours": black and white.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by M_M
    When I saw it I first thougth it had something to do with cruise control, but then my friend said that all Mini have it
    The Cruise Control buttons would be on the face of the steering wheel, if it's equipped with it.

The model you describe isn't in the UK range. Here we have the following special editions:

-Mini One Seven: Metallic red with a 'number 7' decal on each front wing and extra equipment as standard

-Mini Cooper Park Lane: Metallic green with a silver bonnet stripes that join at the radiator grille and the words 'Park Lane' on each front wing, again with extra equipment as standard

-Mini Cooper S Checkmate: Metallic Blue with a white roof and mirror caps, and a chequered decal on eaach side and yep, you guessed it, extra equipment as standard

www.mini.co.uk for the details. I'm guessing that's different from your range...

I know the new Minis go like the clappers and what not, but I'd still have a series 2 Cooper S anyday...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Does it reset the trip computer?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Does it reset the trip computer?
    No, the button that controls the trip computer is on top of the indicator stalk. It's a good place for it, as you can use it whilst driving along to check for example, how far you can go on remaining fuel. The button M_M asked about however, only controls the brightness of the dashboard illumination.

Thread Information