View Poll Results: What’s better overall, Turbochargers of Superchargers?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turbochargers

26 48.15%
  • Superchargers

25 46.30%
  • Both the same

3 5.56%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbocharger V Superchargers

Quote Originally Posted by byronleehk
    Quoted from another forum...
    "there are 2 different designs of turbos, not one.. there is your typical turbo, and the ball bearing turbo. and a true ball bearing turbo has superior response to any supercharger, the ability to reach maximum boost ( anything from 15-50 psi depending on the engine and the size of the ball bearing turbo ) before 1800 rpm..an example of this is the incon systems turbo."

You can read the whole THREAD here...

I'm going to do a little research on this myself

1800rpm is pretty good, but positive displacement type superchargers reach maximum boost as soon as the engines running, so theyre making maximum boost already at idle
    I am the Stig

i think i read on howstuffworks.com that superchargers are generally easier to install, provide more boost, and are cheaper than turbos. i think they're easier to install because the parts are only in the front of the car, while turbos are spread out along the bottom. they provide more boost because the forced induction runs much faster. i'm not sure about prices though

ide take a supercharger any day over a turbo

a good ball bearing turbo might reach speeds of about 200,000rpm whilst most superchargers will only do about 65000rpm, so higher boost levels are achievable through turbo's
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    i think i read on howstuffworks.com that superchargers are generally easier to install, provide more boost, and are cheaper than turbos. i think they're easier to install because the parts are only in the front of the car, while turbos are spread out along the bottom. they provide more boost because the forced induction runs much faster. i'm not sure about prices though

ide take a supercharger any day over a turbo

what was that???????????????????????
    well, i din meant to be hard on you, but that mistake of yours, i have to correct...
    turbo charges provides more boost then super chargers.
    and it runs on power that would other wise be wasted flowing down the pipe.
    therefore, it's more efficient. harder to install, yes, but when you're really into power, do you really care?

no, i dont really care, but if you're gonna say someone's wrong, then say that the person who wrote the article is wrong.

I don't really mind either, but I think that supercharging has more of a prestige image.

Jaguar XJ/XK R - Supercharger
    Koenigsegg CCR - Supercharger
    McLaren SLR - Supercharger
    TVR Sagaris - Supercharger
    TVR Typhon - Supercharger

And you get the added bonus of supercharger whine, much nicer than all that rubbish whooshing you get with turbos
    Thanks for all the fish

It seems to me that a turbo is more appropriate to a smaller, higher-revving engine, a 4 or 6 usually, since they are more likely to spend more time in the higher rev-ranges where the exhaust pressure is sufficient to create significant boost.
    On a larger engine, like a big-block V8, a supercharger is more effective since these engines are designed to make power at lower rpm's, and place more emphasis on torque. Also, the inherent power drain from an engine-driven supercharger has less effect on a larger, torqueier engine.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    It seems to me that a turbo is more appropriate to a smaller, higher-revving engine, a 4 or 6 usually, since they are more likely to spend more time in the higher rev-ranges where the exhaust pressure is sufficient to create significant boost.
    On a larger engine, like a big-block V8, a supercharger is more effective since these engines are designed to make power at lower rpm's, and place more emphasis on torque. Also, the inherent power drain from an engine-driven supercharger has less effect on a larger, torqueier engine.
    Diesel engines that will hardly run over 5000 revs and get there maximum torque in 1800-2200 range, are generallly assisted by a turbocharger, I never heard of a supercharged diesel, which makes me doubt the validity of your theory.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

ure dont know what ure on about

ok 1st thing most of u talk rubbish, superchargers are better on torque at low rpm were as turbos suffer from lag so drag racing the supercharger is the way to go andif ure going for power weight and a better power to weight ratio go for the turbo also a supercharger runs off the engine so it takes more power than its worth. ball bearing turbos are only better for oiling dont run much faster than thrust washers all u people that know what ure talking about this post does not apply, but all u amature car enthusiasts who think u know alot u got to learn. ok there is such thing as a supercharged deisel.the maclarren was natruly aspirated. oh and henk the lancia delta s4 did have both turbo and supercharger, i dont belive that the lancia delta s4 was the ultimate grp b rally car but it was very good. the rs 200 evo is the fastest acelorating car in the world and thats turboed so it also depends on size of the turbo something like a t4 is huge and takes ages to spool up somthing like a t3 wont
    Last edited by mulan; 04-30-2004 at 10:40 AM. Reason: ok so u stop moaning the spelling is a bit better

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I never heard of a supercharged diesel, which makes me doubt the validity of your theory.
    There are some supercharged diesels, but they tend to be large displacement two stroke jobs, used in '40s/ '50s trucks, tanks etc:
    Napier Deltic, 3 crank 18cyl
    Commer TS3

I have also heard that the Mazda 626 had a supercharged diesel, but I don't know how true that is.

Also Jaguar might be using a s/c'ed diesel in the X type replacement in the near distant future

Imagine how much torque you could get from a well set up s/c diesel

mulan: Please could you use some sort of punctuation, otherwise it makes it incredibly difficult to understand what you have written. Thank you.
    Also try to keep the number of insults to a minimum
    Thanks for all the fish

Where'd you get the idea that you get a better top speed with a turbo?

how about a car super and turbo charged? that would be so great!

I think superchargers are better because they have lower maintenence and no exhaust backflow, but superchargers take power from the engine. they both have their good/bad points.
    Last edited by bballmikey105; 04-27-2004 at 08:36 PM.
    boobs

That's been done. It's called twincharging. The idea is that the supercharger is mounted upstream of the turbo, so that the supercharger eliminates turbo lag. It's very difficult to get right, from everything I've read.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

I never heard of that but I thought it would be neat if it could be done. It sounds very simple.
    boobs

From what I could understand from Mulan's contribution is that the Lancia S4 had both, which is actually correct, Lancia had their own supercharging system, called Volumex, which they combined with an exhaust turbo. For the rest I am eager to find out what the truth really is, Mulan's contribution was a bit on the negative side and as already pointed out, very difficult to read, in spite of it having been edited. There could well have been some valid points in there.

Thanks for the reference to old commercial supercharged diesel vehicles, I didn't know that.

I doubt that Jaguar will be developing a supercharged diesel, as they belong to Ford, which is doing all its diesel development work together with PSA. (The Jaguar diesel you will also find in some new Peugeots and Citroens). Mazda is using a common rail turbo diesel.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information