Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why the supra is faster and better then the skyline read this and learn the truth ppl

why the supra is faster and better then the skyline read this and learn the truth ppl

Possibly the showiest of R33 GT-R Skylines is the LM 'Le Mans' model. Forget about the 400R, there are simply not enough of them around, they're essentially the Nissan equivalent of the unicorn. The LM is where it's at for the best mix of both pace and style within the confines of the R33 chassis. Although mechanicallyR33 Nissan Skyline GT-R LM Engine identical to the V-Spec upon which it is based, the LM came in lurid colours (only a small collection), with different wheels and a Recaro interior to set it apart. If a GT-R could ever tempt Supra Man, then this would be the one.
    The rest of the recipe is a list of ingredients you have been reading about for years: RB26DETT twin-turbo 280ps engine, ATTESA-Pro 4WD system, HICAS four-wheel steering, large front-mounted intercooler and Brembo brakes. This Skyline GT-R proved you can have your cake and eat it, too. It really is possible to go extremely fast, without diminished reliability, or an excessively impractical body shape. There's no point in telling the Europeans to sit up and take note; they already have.

Possibly the most underrated of the true Japanese performance cars, though, would have to be the RZ Supra (that is the Supra TT in the US - ed), in Australia, at least. Both the Japanese and the Americans are quick to sing the praises of the resilient and highly potent 2JZ-GTE 3-litre sequential twin-turbo engine. It's torquey, more flexible than the RB26 and in modified form has turned American import drag racing on its head. Teaming up with a Getrag six-speed transmission2JZ-GTE gives it an additional cog over the Nissan - a significant buying point for some. On the flip side, the Supra lacks the highly sophisticated 4WD system of the GT-R, putting all its considerable power through only the two rear wheels. The reason why the skyline is faster off the line but give the supra fwd and then we will see a battle...

Put through their paces, both cars deliver - and how. Negotiating tight hairpins and balancing big sweepers, it was the Skyline that drew a line in the sand. For all the electronics, the Skyline has the sharper, more dynamic feel of the two. Steering is terribly direct, spring and damper rates are definitely tighter, and the confidence inspired by the ATTESA-Pro system sees the GT-R simply stride offR33 Nissan Skyline GT-R LM into the distance once the blacktop becomes demanding.
    That's not to say the Supra feels ungainly or ponderous, but you are always aware, through the steering wheel and 'bum sensor, that the Supra is a big, heavy piece of metal. In fact, the kerb weights are very similar, but the GT-R hides its flab better. The Supra chassis does nothing wrong, but tight roads certainly make it uncomfortable to drive, and sometimes it does not act as predictably as you'd hope. In the Skyline, you often find yourself 'involving the rear end' when cornering, but in the Supra the feeling 'there would be no catching this one' was etched firmly in our minds.

The dynamic handling test served to show the different design philosophies of the two cars. While Skyline Man loves to return from a mountain pass with the bugs still caught between his teeth, Supra Man worries about the possibility of spilling the Red Bull into his cup holder. Don't despair, Toyota aficionados; the slightly less aggressive chassis of the Supra really starts to show its mettle in the everyday driving situations, the road environment you find yourself in most of the time. The Skyline is far less comfortable here, with each small ripple and ridge in the road making the GT-R LM fidget and jiggle annoyingly; the hard seats transmitToyota Supra JZA80 such oscillations all too well. Despite its arguably more practical shape, it is the GT-R that is best used as a true weekender, being relegated to blasts through the countryside rather than picking up the bread and milk. Most people I know who own a GT-R use it this way.
    Supras, though, are much happier as a daily driver. If you can live with the level of visibility of the glasshouse and the high waistline, it provides the most cosseting driving experience of the two. Bumps and thumps that would crash through the Skyline's suspension are soaked up by the Supra, which provides a quieter, more insulated cocoon for the driver. The controls are lighter than the Skyline's and, although they might provide less tactile feedback, can be used repeatedly without the slightest inkling of brainpower needing to enter into the equation. Unsurprisingly then, the majority of Supras are daily drivers.

So what happens at the business end known as the traffic light grand prix? With a skilled driver on-board, the GT-R is going to win the fight every time. This Skyline had a slight advantage with its aftermarket exhaust system and pair of pod filters but, even with this in mind, the gap is wide. The Nissan dispatches the 0-100km/h (ed.: 0-62mph) test in 5 seconds flat, before stopping the clock with 13.0 seconds dead across the quarter. The Toyota is quick at 5.6 seconds and 13.7 seconds,R33 Nissan Skyline GT-R LM respectively, but those tenths add up to many car-lengths in the real world.
    Surprisingly, with two 'average' drivers, the balance of power starts to swing in favour of the Supra. In the Toyota, clean launches are a simple case of turning off the traction control, dialling in 3500rpm and popping the clutch. The strip times can be repeated to within a tenth in most environments. The key to the GT-R's phenomenal acceleration is the 'launching' technique, which requires more like 7000rpm to be hit before the clutch is side-stepped. A handful of rpm too few and the car bogs lazily, while too many revs result in a surprising amount of wheelspin. Prolonged use of this technique also destroys the clutch rapidly. Still, it is this sort of foible that GT-R owners derive enjoyment from perfecting.

Roll-ons are a different ball game to the standing-start stuff, and it is here, especially in the lower speed ranges, that the Supra is able to take the fight to the Skyline. The sequential turbochargers and variable cam timing of the late-model 2JZ-GTE engine offer a major low-rev advantage, which combined with the extraR33 Nissan Skyline GT-R LM & Toyota Supra JZA80 cog of the Getrag box, makes for in-gear performance that will startle a stock GT-R. The Supra's torque comes on as low as 2200rpm, while the GT-R's big surge is after 3500rpm, with full boost often not achieved until 4000rpm. As speed increases, the relentless thrust of the Garrett T28 turbochargers on the Nissan sees it push into the lead, but for those who prefer to keep their challenges within legal speeds, the bottom-end grunt of the Supra is a big drawcard. Importantly, either car will eat a stock WRX for breakfast.
    The difference in power delivery between the RB26 and 2JZ really is remarkable. In the Supra you can literally feel the turbo staging valves and electro-pneumatic trickery going on under the bonnet. Towards the redline, the turbochargers start to run out of compressor puff, while the Skyline simply loves to rev, needing the 8000rpm cut-out to remind you when to stop.

Both cars have good brake systems, including large four-piston calipers at theR33 Nissan Skyline GT-R LM front end and an effective ABS system. The Brembo calipers in the GT-R are widely used in performance circles, but ultimately it will be pad selection that determines which of these cars pulls up best.
    As for the gearboxes, the Nissan may have fewer ratios, but it provides a somewhat cleaner action through the stick. Both boxes are pretty good, but the Getrag lets itself down by being a little 'clunky' and exhibiting signs of internal lash. Its lever action is nice and short, however.

When you pause at traffic lights to ponder your surroundings, the l(t)airy leather of the LM smacks you fair in the face. The normal 'landlord' grey interior of the R33 GT-R is shocked by the electric blue inserts added to the leather Recaros in this particular car. Other than that, the interior of the GT-R is fairly much standard Nissan fare, save for the NISMO white-faced instruments installed into this car. Ergonomically, the Skyline is excellent. Controls fall nicely to hand, but it's noR33 Nissan Skyline GT-R LM Cockpit great work of art. The R34 interior is certainly a great step up.
    The Toyota is an odd thing from inside. Plenty of room is wasted, as its designers made a point of being extravagant. The swooping dash structure tries to convince you that the Supra is some kind of aircraft. Add to this mass of plastic the less readable instruments and goofy analog clock that looks like it was robbed from a Public Enemy necklace, and you begin to get the pictures. When you realise that the Supra was designed with the American market in mind, it becomes much simpler to get your mind around. At least the seats are comfortable and supportive, covered in material that looks like it has been picked straight from an SS Commodore. Supra Man will always be quick to point out that it's a design whose time is yet to come.

Regardless of whether Skyline Man borrows Supra Man's Arnettes or if Skyline Man starts sipping short blacks, these cars are always going to be two different animals. Our means of choosing depends on a far more simple set of rules. If youToyota Supra JZA80 Interior need to drive a car every day, and your Japanese sports hero is going to be your only car, then you cannot ignore the Supra. It doesn't matter how hard you convince yourself otherwise, the Supra outguns the Skyline on a liveability level. Plus, there's nothing wrong with Barry White.

i was expecting trash from the name of the thread, but thats a pretty good write up
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Very good read. I was expecting an immature fanboy write up as well, but that was good,thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota4Life
    It doesn't matter how hard you convince yourself otherwise, the Supra outguns the Skyline on a liveability level.
    the write up was good, except i couldn't believe how unbelievably wrong this statement was.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

?

that is right man you can not drive the skyline as an everyday car look at it. it is a toyota toyotas are nice to drive around and the supra has a softer spring setup then the skyline. i should now i own both

that is right man you can not drive the skyline as an everyday car look at it. it is a toyota toyotas are nice to drive around and the supra has a softer spring setup then the skyline. i should now i own both
    except..you can. easily. thousands of people do it in this city alone every day. Hell, my friends boyfriend drives one everyday. If anything, i'd say their equal in livability. and i doubt you own both, i'd like pictures.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'm sure Martin Donnon would be so proud of your blatant plagerism.

Possibly the showiest of R33 GT-R Skylines is the LM 'Le Mans' model. Forget about the 400R, there are simply not enough of them around, they're essentially the Nissan equivalent of the unicorn. The LM is where it's at for the best

See, you probably would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for the fact that the article is good, whereas your posts are complete rubbish.

Cease and desist, for your own safety!
    Thanks for all the fish

Somehow, I don't think you wrote that.

Thanks anyway. And I'm with clutch on some nice pictures of those two thundering kamikazes side by side!

Eggnogg time. Slap your username on a piece of paper and set it behind the gear shifter of both your cars, then take pictures and post them. Its our way of knowing that you're not lying.

Does this seem familiar to anyone?

(Please credit the websites you're stealing from )

This thread sucks and I didn't even read it yet.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

ok u got it. but thr fact remains i have looked and did reserach and have come to these conclusions. focus on the topic and not on me.

The article really doesnt show that the supra is the superior better car. So the title of this thread is a bit off. its only superior in areas, and the skyline is superior in other areas. is well written though.
    You can call me scott.

ok u got it. but thr fact remains i have looked and did reserach and have come to these conclusions. focus on the topic and not on me.
    the conclusion is wrong though...

Should I....

??

Edit/Delete Message
    Oh Dear God...

Thread Information