Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Z06 Roof Problem

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Statement retracted - it's IRS. (at least in the sports variants - 1 ton and workhorse version will differ)
    The Corvette is IRS as well, did you think is was not?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    The Corvette is IRS as well, did you think is was not?
    Your lambasting IRS Setups for Drag racing led me to believe the Corvette had a different set up- somehow leaf springs and IRS
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Your lambasting IRS Setups for Drag racing led me to believe the Corvette had a different set up- somehow leaf springs and IRS
    See my underline of Slick's previous post

I dont see exactly what your getting at, you do know that the Corvette has a transversely mounted leaf spring with IRS right?
    (Pre-VE Commodore IRS is basic old-style 3 link a-la BMW 2002 or Datsun 1600/510, while our local non-IRS cars are one set of multiple leaf springs per side & longditudinally mounted like Roman Chariot. By contrast Corvette IRS system uses a single leaf, positioned laterally. I'm guessing those 'C' bars on 1-Ton TT are probably what we call tramp bars aka control arm (OE fit on Falcon XA GT M4 eg) to alleviate spring wind-up aka axle twist)
    Last edited by nota; 10-11-2006 at 11:55 AM.

C'mon, are you serious? So youve been arguing about a car that you know nothing about??? The Corvette has had IRS (and wishbone suspension) since 1963! They are transversly mounted leafs, that means one in the front, and one in the rear. They are also composite, so they are lighter than coils, and will last longer too(and act like anti-roll bars).

c5 front end:

back:
    Last edited by Slicks; 10-11-2006 at 12:34 PM.

I dont see exactly what your getting at, you do know that the Corvette has a transversely mounted leaf spring with IRS right?
    I do actually
    That Holden Ute has two leafs holding a solid axle right?
    Yes
    Far from what the Corvette has.
    Leaf springs are leaf springs. They have the same compression and rebound charateristics.
    Like I said, almost all IRS cars get axle hop, thats one reason why a solid rear end is superior for drag racing.
    I've yet to experience "axle hop" in an IRS car
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    They have the same compression and rebound charateristics.
    Thats where your wrong, the way the vette is setup is completely different from a truck. To top things off shocks make a night and day difference. I rarly hear about corvette getting wheel hop.
    Meant to say wheel hop. Go drive a porsche.

I do actually
    Yes
    Leaf springs are leaf springs. They have the same compression and rebound charateristics.
    I guess you dont drive any fast IRS cars. From cobras to corvettes you gotta be careful it can get ugly.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I guess you dont drive any fast IRS cars. From cobras to corvettes you gotta be careful it can get ugly.
    I assume,by Cobras you mean mustangs, which have never had an independent rear, at leat not to my knowledge. Nevermind, you mean Shelby Cobras, I see what you are saying now.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    I assume,by Cobras you mean mustangs, which have never had an independent rear, at leat not to my knowledge. Nevermind, you mean Shelby Cobras, I see what you are saying now.
    The 01, 03, and 04 Mustang Cobras all do. Im pretty sure the Cobra R has IRS as well.
    Last edited by rev440; 10-11-2006 at 06:54 PM.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Meant to say wheel hop.
    The difference being?
    Go drive a porsche.
    I'd love to. Do you have one I can borrow? Actually, have you driven a Porsche? Or you relying on what people on Vette forums are saying about Porsches?

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I'd consider an LS1 Calais pretty damn quick, so are STis, so are 200s.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Shelby Cobras = solid rear end (many are built off the fox body platform)
    Mustang Cobra (01-04) = IRS

The difference being?
    Just making sure you werent confusing it with anything else.
    I'd love to. Do you have one I can borrow? Actually, have you driven a Porsche? Or you relying on what people on Vette forums are saying about Porsches?
    Read much?
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...cabriolet.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=102980
    http://www.caymanclub.net/topic.asp?...ce+Your+Cayman
    That was a few seconds with google...
    I'd consider an LS1 Calais pretty damn quick, so are STis, so are 200s.
    GTOs (monaros), STis, and EVOs all suffer from wheel hop, Ive personally seen it at the track. What are 200s?

Yes... but no. First, just like there are different types of coil springs there are different types of leaf springs. I have a coil spring in my ball point pen but it's not very similar to the ones on my cars.

The Vette has double A arm suspension front and rear. It just happens that the springs used with that suspension are leaves rather than coils.

Here's some good info (sorry, the author was excessively wordy and rambles at times)
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...e+leaf+springs

And yet it's never been a problem in any of the reviews I've read for any of these cars. Have you maybe considered the fact that it's due to the fact that the Vette has double wishbones, whilst the 3 cars listed in those links don't?

What are 200s?
    Nissan 200SX
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 10-11-2006 at 09:39 PM.
    – Hunter Thompson

And yet it's never been a problem in any of the reviews I've read for any of these cars. Have you maybe considered the fact that it's due to the fact that the Vette has double wishbones, whilst the 3 cars listed in those links don't?
    Ferrari's have double A-arm as well. As do Miatas. If the car has wheel hop issues it's not because it "has double A-arm". If it has problems it might be related to the implementation as seen on the Vette but it's not just because it has double A-arms.

Typically wheel hop is caused because some part of the drive line winds up the releases. That can include the suspension arms. Axle wrap in a live axle car is one example. The Cadillac CTS-V has problems with this because the rear dif carrier is mounted rather softly to the chassis (soft mounts yield good NVH). The Corvette's dif is not likely to wind up as it's connected to the engine via a log tube. The tube and the fact that the car uses a rear mounted transmission (wider spacing between pick up points holding the "rear end") keep the transmission and final drive inline with the motor.

Having driven a 2005 Z51 Vette I can say it was easy to spin the tires and I didn't experience wheel hop even with the factory run flats.

Thread Information