Thread: 1973 BMW Csl

1973 BMW Csl

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a 1973 BMW Csl 3.0 Litre Straight- six. since winter is coming up i like to do car projects and was going to turn it into the old 1973 Le-mans car. And do you know where I can find parts and stuff for it. Repost or msg me on my account. Thanks alot
    Ciao

naww, ebay for somereason i cant trust it? but have u ever got in automobiles from there? and are they good?

I bought my race car off of ebay. I went and checked out the car and talked with them. I wouldn't buy a car off ebay if you can't go see it first, other than that I don't think there is a problem with buying off ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I bought my race car off of ebay. I went and checked out the car and talked with them. I wouldn't buy a car off ebay if you can't go see it first, other than that I don't think there is a problem with buying off ebay.
    what kinda of race car do you have... sorry if you've allready said

Quote Originally Posted by kylekosir
    I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a 1973 BMW Csl 3.0 Litre Straight- six. since winter is coming up i like to do car projects and was going to turn it into the old 1973 Le-mans car. And do you know where I can find parts and stuff for it. Repost or msg me on my account. Thanks alot
    Ciao
    Honestly I dont think you will succeed in finding a CSL. Those are very rare and expensive. And if your idea is to make a race replica, therefore abandoning originality, you might prefer to use a normal CS or CSI as a base. The CSL is lighter, but if you're making a racer, you can lose weight in many other ways like plexiglass windows, fiberglass hood, etc..
    Good luck for your project anyway.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifreak013
    what kinda of race car do you have... sorry if you've allready said
    MG Midget

the last time i saw a CSL for sale, it was selling for 27-28K. With a modified Eibach suspension.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...7/86142867.htm

Might be a place to start...

http://www.e9coupe.com/

Parts and information.

Quote Originally Posted by kylekosir
    Ciao
    Good taste for a 17 year old. It's nice to have ambitions.

A good street version can cost from $25-60,000. Double that for a Gr.2 that's intact, double (plus) again for anything with significant history.

Check http://www.e9coupe.com/ Research thoroughly first.

Realistically, make a replica from a good '72 or 73 CS... you should be able to get a donor chassis with minimal rust for around $3-4,000. Mechanical parts are pricey to boost the M30 engine, so keep it simple if you intend to drive as either a track hound or useable street car. Suspension mods are simple and not difficult for a DYIer. But the fiberglas fenders/hoods/wings repros are stupid expensive, and a Scheel interior is very rare.

I have both a 1972 3.0 CSL (original and authentic) that has been my track car for about 15 years, and a recently purchased 3.0 CS. The coupes are wonderful drivers, beautiful and not expensive. Why not just buy a decent CS and use it? As to eBay purchases, with any transaction it's caveat emptor. I bought our Baikal blue 3.0 CS a few weeks ago for under $8K and by having a reputable mechanic inspect it first for a reasonable fee ($200) we got a decent buy. Minimal rust (thank the tin gods), good rubber and drivetrain, interior needed work. Will need a paint job in a year or so, but looks good from 20' now. A classic BMW driver for the price of a used Toyota.

Since you're in Canada, check Marcus Glarner... he's got CSL stuff. Good guy.
    Beware of certain US vendors, they think all things CS are made of gold.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177
    Beware of certain US vendors, they think all things CS are made of gold.
    Polished rust may shine like gold
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Polished rust may shine like gold
    Yes indeed, Henk... used car crooks exist everywhere! Wet look the cheap tires, fresh resale red paint job over insta-bondo bodywork (ignore the swirls, runs and orange peel) maybe add some bad sheepskins to cover the ugly seats and wait for a mark to open their checkbook.

Over here we call it "polishing a turd". There's always a buyer.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information