Thread: Ford Mondeo (2nd gen) 1996-2000

Ford Mondeo (2nd gen) 1996-2000

Second generation (1996–2000)

The Mondeo Mk II, known in some quarters as the Mk I facelift, launched in October 1996 seeing three of the Mk I Mondeo's biggest criticisms addressed: its bland styling, the poor headlight performance, the reflectors of which quickly yellowed and the cramped rear legroom. The lowering of specification levels around that time (e.g. air-conditioning and alloy wheels became optional on the UK Ghia models) may have indicated a desire by Ford to cut costs and recoup some of the considerable sums invested in the original design. These specification levels were improved again in 1998 as the Mondeo approached replacement.

The Mk II saw almost every external panel replaced. This left only the doors, the roof, and the rear panels on the estate the same as the original Mk I model. Even the extractor vents on the rear doors were replaced by a panel bearing the name Mondeo. The most notable change was the introduction of the grille and larger, wraparound lighting units. The saloon version featured some distinctive rear lights. These incorporated an additional reflector panel that extended around the top and the side of the rear wings. Unlike the iterations seen on the heavily facelifted Scorpio and Mk IV Fiesta during the previous year, this facelift was well received.

The interior was also mildly revised, though the basic dashboard architecture was the same as before. Safety specification was improved, with the car gaining a full-size driver airbag in place of the smaller 'euro-bag' fitted in the Mk I Mondeo. The Mk II gained a 'flagged' 3 star rating in EuroNCAP testing, which was average for rivals of its time (the same as the Vauxhall Vectra, better than the Citroën Xantia and Peugeot 406, and worse than the Nissan Primera).The cars structure suffering excessive footwell intrusion in the frontal impact and a disturbing B pillar displacement in the side test.

The Zetec engine was thoroughly revised in 1998. The updated version was far more refined at high revolutions, addressing a common criticism of the Zetec motor.

The Mk II Mondeo was initially popular, being Britain's third best selling new car in 1996 through to 1998. However in 1999 it dipped into sixth place and had been outsold by its biggest rival, the Vauxhall Vectra.

Former British Labour Prime Minister, Tony Blair, bought a Mk II Mondeo in 1997.

Although production of the Mk II Mondeo ceased in 2000 when it was replaced with the Mk III, sales of the model continued into 2001.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 11-22-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Previous Generation #2

Previous Generation #3

Previous Generation #5

Ford Mondeo II #5

Thread Information