Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: formula 1 and grand prix

formula 1 and grand prix

I thought i had it figured out but obvously i didn't
    What is the diffrence and relations between grand prix and F1?

I mean, i know about the popularity diffrence formula one is the biggest, most popular event, canadian grand prix was quite big last year, i however have never figured out the other diffrences, the regulations seem identical.
    are they related in a way?
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

In todays sense, F1 and the Grand Prix are the exact same event From what I know, Grand Prix was what it was originally called because of something to do with them getting a reward for winning instead of being paid by manufacturers. Someone might want to go into better detail

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    In todays sense, F1 and the Grand Prix are the exact same event From what I know, Grand Prix was what it was originally called because of something to do with them getting a reward for winning instead of being paid by manufacturers. Someone might want to go into better detail

What do you mean paid by the manufactures, so if ferrari wins the championship the money will go to ferrari then trickle down to shumaker or what? Please Elaborate
    Last edited by kigango123; 10-11-2006 at 10:49 AM.

"Grand Prix" literally means 'Big Prize'. It is a term that has been applied to motor races virtually since the inception of motorsport 100 years ago. There are no regulations for a grand prix as such, it is simply a term that can be applied to many major motorracing events, usually referring to open-wheel race series. Before Formula One was 'invented' in the 50s the biggest international motor races were called Grand Prixs, and Formula One simply carried on the tradition of using the name.

All Formula One races are labelled 'Grand Prix' but it is not a term that is exclusive to F1. Champ Car for example usually call their events 'Grand Prix' too.

The term 'Grand Prix' is also used as a label for other major events within a sport, like in Snooker, Equestrian sports etc.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

"Grand Prix" is not an event.

"Grand Prix" is French for "Big Prize" and is a term used to denote the highest levels of competition in a sport.

I.e. a local athletics event with 3 school kids and a German Shepard would just be the "Grimsby Athletics tournament" wheras a finals event featuring the best athletic competitors from Europe would be the "European Athletics Grand Prix", or something.

Many sports have "Grand Prix" events - tennis, golf, snooker, horse riding.

In the context of "F1" the sport is "F1", and each event is a "Grand Prix"

I.e. the race in the USA is the "United States Grand Prix", the race in Malaysia is the "Petronas Malaysian Gran Prix", the race in Germany is the "Grosser Mobil 1 Preis Von Deutschland, etc...

"F1" is a specific type of motorsport, as sprinting is a type of athletics.

The rules and regulations for F1 are set by the FIA, and the sport is managed by the Formula One Administration (FOA) & Formula One Management.

The regulations relating to F1 can be found here:

http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/f1regs.html
    Thanks for all the fish

Okey, so in effect grand prix is a general term to refer to a sport , and F1 is a particular sport, i think i got that, but what is the diffrence between Formula 1 and let us say United States Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    but what is the diffrence between Formula 1 and let us say United States Grand Prix
    Formula One is the whole sport, and the US Grand Prix is just an individual event within the sport of Formula One.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Okey, so in effect grand prix is a general term to refer to a sport , and F1 is a particular sport, i think i got that
    I don't think you do have got that.

A Grand Prix is not a sport of any kind.

A Grand Prix is a term used to refer to a top level sporting event

Examples:

Sport = Formula 1

Formula 1 Grand Prix = An F1 race
    -----------------------------------
    Sport = Tennis

Tennis Grand Prix = A Tennis match
    -----------------------------------
    Sport = Snooker

Snooker Grand Prix = A Snooker tournament

but what is the diffrence between Formula 1 and let us say United States Grand Prix.
    The difference between F1 and the USGP is that F1 is a motorsport, and the USGP is a race held in the USA, in which F1 cars participate.
    Thanks for all the fish

In the past there were a lot more Formula 1 races, but only the Grands Prix counted for the World Championship. An example of a non-championship race was the Race of the Champions at Brands Hatch.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Okey, so they are two separate things,

Grand Prix is a race title enhancer( it makes the title sound fancy) and F1 is a genuine motorsport. Okey!!, this time i think i got it. but still, why would F1 cars come and race in US grand prix or canadian grand prix, except for the money.

The term grand prix was used before F1. If my memory serves me it was first used in the 1700's for horse racing. It was later used for other sports.

Nowadays it is synonymous with motor racing, and in the minds of most people with F1. But F1 doesn't hold intellectual rights to this name. That's why we have A1 Grand Prix. They don't pay F1 to use the name.

EDIT: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_prix for all uses of the term nowadays
    Last edited by lightweight; 10-11-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

okey, so they are two separate things, Grand Prix is a race title enhancer( it makes the title sound fancy) and F1 is a genuine motorsport. okey, this time i think i got it. but still, why would F1 cars come and race in US grand prix or canadian grand prix, except for the money.
    Erm, because the US Grand Prix and the Canadian Grand Prix are Formula One events. Only F1 cars are allowed to race in them, and the points scored there count towards the Formula One championships. There are currently 18 different Formula One Grand Prix which take place all over the world, last weekend in Japan for example and the weekend before that in China. These events are specifically for Formula One cars, racing in these events is just what they do.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Erm, because the US Grand Prix and the Canadian Grand Prix are Formula One events. Only F1 cars are allowed to race in them, and the points scored there count towards the Formula One championships. There are currently 18 different Formula One Grand Prix which take place all over the world, last weekend in Japan for example and the weekend before that in China. These events are specifically for Formula One cars, racing in these events is just what they do.
    Ooohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    now i see! the whole "Grand....." thing was confusing me, it is just part of formula one, got it.

Thinking about it the F1 race is the Grand Prix of the weekend, as there are support races going on as well.
    Thanks for all the fish

Ooohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    now i see! the whole "Grand....." thing was confusing me, it is just part of formula one, got it.
    It's not part of F1. It's the F1 itself.
    The term "Grand Prix" is used in two meanings when talking about F1.
    1. a Grand Prix is any F1 race
    2. the Grand Prix racing is another name for Formula 1 as a sport.
    Grand Prix was originally the name given to races of particular importance. In 1949 the FIA decided to link several Grand Prix races into a world chamionship racing series called Formula 1 or Grand Prix.

What do you mean paid by the manufactures, so if ferrari wins the championship the money will go to ferrari then trickle down to shumaker or what? Please Elaborate
    The drivers are on contracts with teams or sponsors and they get money for racing from them. There are no rewards for drivers from the race organisers afaik.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 10-11-2006 at 01:49 PM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Thread Information