Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TVR no longer maker of cheap British crap. Now makes cheap "European" crap.

Oh, yeah. The American car industry is doing great too... If you're talking about Toyota.

The problem with cars like TVR is that they can no longer afford to produce sports cars that the average income of any country except Monaco could afford.

Apparently, if you can't spare $40,000, you're out in the cold if you want a good, minimalist sports car made by a dedicated company. (That's the Elise too, after dealer mark-up here in the states.

What ever happened to brands like MG, who made cheap sports cars that sold like hot cakes? Regulated out of existence, I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    The problem with cars like TVR is that they can no longer afford to produce sports cars that the average income of any country except Monaco could afford.
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    What ever happened to brands like MG, who made cheap sports cars that sold like hot cakes? Regulated out of existence, I suppose
    No, their cars were shite an no one wanted them.
    Thanks for all the fish

So the British car industry will be reduced to Morgan (older than TVR by a mile) and good old Tony Crooke's Bristol company, also longer in business than TVR.
    Glad we still have the Vauxhall Vectra
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    So the British car industry will be reduced to Morgan (older than TVR by a mile) and good old Tony Crooke's Bristol company, also longer in business than TVR.
    Glad we still have the Vauxhall Vectra
    Well, if you don't consider any of the 100s of thousands of cars being built in Britain to be part of the British car industry there is always Caterham.

And Ariel.

And Noble.

And Ultima.

And Radical.

And....
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Well, if you don't consider any of the 100s of thousands of cars being built in Britain to be part of the British car industry there is always Caterham.

And Ariel.

And Noble.

And Ultima.

And Radical.

And....
    I was only thinking about those companies that were already existing before I was born. And to be honest I think there is a limited chance that any of companies you name there will be able to reach the age that I currently have
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I was only thinking about those companies that were already existing before I was born.
    You were born before 1870?!

Crikey, as Steve Irwin might have said.

There are rumours being circulated from a "source" that from 2007 TVRs will be constructed by Bertone in Turin, with engines built by Ricardo in the UK.
    Thanks for all the fish

You were born before 1870?!

no,no that was when the Brits invented the wheel.

There is pleanty of evidence that shows that Britain is a world leader in the automotive industry, some of the world's most productive car factories are in the UK - Nissan, Toyota, Mini.
    Please show me that evidence. Because from what I know world leaders in the automotive industry are USA and Japan. UK is 10th, after such automotive 'powers' like Spain, Canada and Brazil. Unfortunately, UK is now more like those countries than real automotive powers like Germany, Japan or France. Ford quit, Rover and MG went bust, Vauxhall makes only rebadged Opels and Holdens. The biggest carmakers are Nissan, Toyota, Peugeot and Honda - all foreign companies using UK only as a production facility. Other big car companies are Mini, Land Rover and Jaguar/Daimler - belonging either to Ford or BMW. Doesn't sound like an automotive leader for me.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Well, CoventrySucks, make up a list of all carcoy's gone since the '60-s, all the British brands, and you can fill pages......
    I only hope that TVR will remain - same for good old Jag - as individual car-builders the English are unsurpassed but when it comes to an industrial level, it is another piece of cake. As recent history undoubtly proved!
    Make a same list for the German and you see the list much shorter.
    Why is UK kitcar country number 1? Because of the individualism and one can easily build a car in a garage and get it on the road, which cannot be done on the continent - at least not that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by D'ARTOIS
    Why is UK kitcar country number 1? Because of the individualism and one can easily build a car in a garage and get it on the road, which cannot be done on the continent - at least not that easy.
    So what if I were to buy a kit and build it in a French garage?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Bertone-tvr

Next-generation TVRs will be built by Bertone in Italy and offered with Ricardo-produced engines, Autocar can reveal.

The firm's boss Nikolai Smolenski announced on Wednesday that despite previous assurances that the brand would remain British, he was closing the current factory in Blackpool and moving production to 'elsewhere in Europe'. France and Russia have been mooted as potential sites, but Autocar's sources insist that the Russian tycoon has struck a deal to use Italian coachbuilder Bertone to assemble the 2007 model Sagaris, Tuscan and Tuscan convertible in Turin.

The complete article:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=222793

Is Bertone good with GRF?

I hope the guys at PH are right. I never thought I would utter these words, but I hope TVR goes completely bust. I hope this backfires and NS has to sell the company, or whats left of it-I only wish I had the money.

TVR belongs belongs in England or as a fond memory. NS could start his own company, and not defile something that I hold as sacred. It'd be one thing to swallow your pride and start buying other marques' drivelines again, but outsourcing everything is just stupid. That's a sham, a mockery of Wilkinson, Lilley, Wheeler.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 10-20-2006 at 01:39 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Well build quality might improve, and the fitters will stop writing dirty words on the bare panels before fitting carpet etc.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

D'ARTOIS, go.pawel

What is wrong with you both?

Why are you so keen to paint the British automotive industry in such a bad light, ignoring & belittling the role it plays, and its successes?

Your posts are nonsensical and ill-informed - assembling cars is not the beginning and end of an automotive industry, yet you only seem bothered about that one area, ignoring other aspects.

You ask me to provide "evidence" whilst your own posts seem to have no basis in fact.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for all the fish

D'ARTOIS, go.pawel
    What is wrong with you both?
    Nothing. I'm completely ok, thank you very much.

Why are you so keen to paint the British automotive industry in such a bad light, ignoring & belittling the role it plays, and its successes?
    Because, sadly, it doesn't play the role it used to, so there's really not much to ignore. I also don't have to belittle it, it's been belittling itself rather well, seeing as more and more manufacturers disappear or at least leave Britain.

Your posts are nonsensical and ill-informed - assembling cars is not the beginning and end of an automotive industry, yet you only seem bothered about that one area, ignoring other aspects.
    At least in my posts I don't try to insult other members But coming back to the meritum, what are those other aspects then? Because for me producing cars is exactly what automotive industry is about.

You ask me to provide "evidence" whilst your own posts seem to have no basis in fact.
    No basis in facts? Every single thing I wrote in my posts is based on facts. Countries, companies, makes - everything. So, either provide some proofs that I'm wrong, or stop bull***tting. Amen.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Thread Information