Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Formula One Brazilian Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Congratulations Massa and Alonso.

MS's puncture cost him the race win, but an absolutely amazing drive from him.

Farewell Michael - we will miss you.
    Well said. Next season will certainly be interesting though.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Well, a cracking race brings to an end a fantastic season. At the end of a topsy-turvy and action packed race I think in the end all of the day's protagonists will end up happy with their day's work. Massa put in a faultless race to lead the race from start to finish, becoming the first Brazilian since Senna in '93 to win his home Grand Prix. Fernando Alonso put in an excellent performance to win his second consecutive richly deserved WDC with a podium finish. And of course Michael Schumacher, who couldn't quite deliver the absolute fairytale finish the Tifosi wished for, still put in a stunning performance with some great overtaking manouevres, one that will live in the memory for years to come.

After the usual frenetic start down into the tricky turn one at Interlagos everyone seemed to get away fairly cleanly bar the two Williams who ended the season in embarrasing fashion. For Webber his final race for Williams mirrors almost exactly his final race for Jaguar in 2004 when he was wiped out in turn one at Brazil by his then teammate Klien. But this incident would have repercussions for the wider picture too, as after Rosberg slammed into the wall in the final corner as his suspension finally gave way the safety car came out. This bunched up the field, but more crucially it seems some of the debris from the accident found its way into the left rear tyre of Schumacher. After scything his way past Fisichella into turn one the tyre gave way and put paid to any chance of him winning the race and the title.

Schumacher was far from finished though as once he had pitted and been put down to last place on the track he set about blitzing through the field with some great pace and overtaking. Clearly his car was in a different league to those around him, especially in terms of the straightline speed down the straight, but the consistency and aggression of Schumacher was still no less impressive. Elsewhere both Toyotas had retired with rear suspension problems, two less cars for Schumacher to deal with and a very poor finish to the season for Toyota who must be gutted at yet again not fulfilling their promise from earlier in the weekend.

It was mixed fortunes for the Honda team. Rubens Barichello must be gutted after starting 5th in his home GP and still ending down in seventh despite Trulli's retirement. It would have been made all the more galling as he saw his teammate Button putting in a stunning performance to make the podium from 14th on the grid, showing that the car clearly had the pace. Raikkonen from 2nd would also have been disappointed with his race, although I think his drop down to 5th was mainly down to the mediocre pace of the McLaren.

The final 10 or so laps were superb as Schumacher came tearing through the field threatening the podium positions. After unusually stern resistance from Fisichella he eventually wilted under the pressure and outbraked himself into the first corner. Next up was Raikkonen, who wasn't gonna give in without a fight. He was going firmly on the defensive into turn one, trying to counter the Ferrari's massive straightline advantage. It worked to begin with, but that was until Schumacher swallowed his brave pills and threw his car down the inside, almost scraping the pit wall in the process. Credit too must go to Raikkonen, as a lot of drivers may have ended up wiping out Schumacher in that situation, but he was tough yet extremely fair and just gave enough racing room to the Ferrari.

Ahead of that battle we had Button pushing Alonso all the way for P2. Alonso knew he couldn't afford to get involved with in an incident and let Schumi through and acheive the unthinkable, but to his credit he kept on the pace and resolutely defended his position instead of letting Button safely through. It was definitely a champion's performance from Alonso under the circumstances. It would have been very easy just to pace himself and cruise through to 7th or 8th position to win the title, but taking it easy is not something in Alonso's mentality, and he drove and fought as hard as ever all race long.

So the home favourite, the new Champ, and the wily old Champ will all take their well deserved plaudits from the passionate Brazilian fans and from fans and journalists from across the world. It was a perfect way for the curtain to fall on a great first season at Ferrari for Massa, a great Renault career for Alonso, a great driving career for seven time Champion Schumacher, and an excellent season all round. For two fantastic teams and two truly great Champions to be battling it out for both titles down to the final laps of the final race of a long and gruelling season is just about all any motorsports fan could possibly ask for. Next season can't come round soon enough!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

nice survey, you could also have mentioned that MS put in the fastest lap of the race, in his penultimate ever racing lap, 0.7 of second faster than the second in lap order, Massa.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Schumacher's move on Raikkonen > you all.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Good race, Massa did what Rubens can't in 6 tries on his first in a compatitive car. Fisi probably will get a bonus for what he did to Michael. And Michael's last race goes down as good as any of his best, despite a 4th place. Alonso drove like he did all year(for the most part of the year anyhow), with his head and calmly to get the job done. Button again delivers a good result from 14th place. Honorable mention goes to Sato for finishing 10th, setting the 7th fastest lap of the race, in that 3 years old chassis.

I will miss Michael greatly, its already feeling wierd knowing he won't be back next year, but I will look forward to the growth of Massa, and hopefully see him becoming a WDC....

And Congrats to Alonso for the 2peat, he certainly deserved it, and may he savour this moment as he might not get another one at McLaren....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    Honorable mention goes to Sato for finishing 10th, setting the 7th fastest lap of the race, in that 3 years old chassis.
    They now run the new chassis, but still: Chapeau
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Great Schumacher move on Kimi but almost as good was Kimi's tough and clean response, I totally agree with Jack in regards to that. This was a typical Schumacher race, never giving up after all those problems.

Almost unbelievable was Sato's race, brilliant at all levels.

Massa did what he had to do, Alonso had another strong and mature drive, he could just cruise around yet he didn't which is what a true champion has to do. Good race for Button too.

On a negative level, it's definitely Williams.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    They now run the new chassis, but still: Chapeau
    The chassis is still the arrows tub, with modification, but the same tub....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Maybe all the other drivers knew he would be extra suicidal for the last race and just let him past?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

CONGRATS FERNANDO ALONSO!!! AND RENAULT!!! AND FELIPE!!! Michael you ass, I will miss you (sorta) for taking out everyone and being so good, but I look forward to the kids duking it out next year.

What is the song played after the country's national anthem when the trophies are awarded?

The national anthem of the winner's country.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    The national anthem of the winner's country.
    No after that.
    I think when the champagne is sprayed...

I think the other song they play is the national anthem of the manufacturer origin.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

^^^ I think he's referring to the music played as they spray the champagne after the presentations.

The music is the Prelude to Bizet's opera Carmen FYI.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Thread Information