Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captiva to challenge Ford's Territory

Captiva to challenge Ford's Territory

Holden's Captiva will challenge Ford's Territory for bragging rights (which it will get). The Captiva has 169 KW and can seat 7 people. It is South Korean, so the price goes down to $39990. The MaXx is $43990 so that means that is the more economical family friendly Captiva. With 167Kw due to more economical filters. Go Captiva!
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Wo0o, and we didn't know this already? Mate, in these Aussie forums, we discuss ALOT, and to be honest, I don't believe a south Korean esque Captiva will really take over the territory, the later of which is a terrific well rounded car that has proven its ability with a COTY award
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by #3 Tasman Bloke
    Holden's Captiva will challenge Ford's Territory for bragging rights (which it will get). The Captiva has 169 KW and can seat 7 people. It is South Korean, so the price goes down to $39990. The MaXx is $43990 so that means that is the more economical family friendly Captiva. With 167Kw due to more economical filters. Go Captiva!
    Warning Houston we may have a fanboy, I repeat FANBOY

I certainly hope its better tha the Hyundai Santa Ghey(South Korean also) I hired over in Tassie, cheap, nasty motoring comes to terms, build quality so so, the switchgear ordinary to the touch. Vehichle dynamics non existent, shocking drivetrain, we thought we had the 4 cyl a check under the bonnet showed we had the V6 .Tiptronic trans that really isnt tiptronic. We got hosed by a mates 1.3 litre getz up a hill. The viscous coupling takes a week to engage, pretty sure the only AWD part of the car is the badge on the back. Im pretty sure Hyundais are a little more advanced than Daewoo when it comes to vehicle dynamics, so whats that say about the Captiva

I have a 1997 Toyota Surf with the 3.4 and 4 speed auto and its on a full ladder(read old school) chassis and it was better in all areas.If the Captiva is anything like the Hyundai, Holden will definetley be on a winner . The Terra will kill it in all areas, except fuel economy and price.
    Personally I would spend the extra $ and get a Terra, thankfully its been designed for Aussie conditions, instead of a cheap and nasty Daewoo with a Holden badge. Dedicated Holden people will buy it because its a Holden, nuff said really
    Last edited by charged; 10-20-2006 at 07:38 PM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Useless thread.

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    I have a 1997 Toyota Surf with the 3.4 and 4 speed auto and its on a full ladder(read old school) chassis
    IIRC ladder chassis are still popular in American trucks (F series etc.)
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Captiva is too small to challenge the territory it't competitors are the rav4, crv, escape and maybe kluger.

Bragging rights for what. Not engine, size or offroad capability. I doubt it will be able to match or better the territory in on road performance as well. Doesn't have much to brag about.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Useless thread.

IIRC ladder chassis are still popular in American trucks (F series etc.)
    Its popular with anything that needs to handle any large loads or stress. Pickups, trucks, dedicated 4x4's etc all still use a ladder frame. Monocoque's alot better for chassis stiffness etc, but cant compare for handling chassis stress such as towing and bouncing off rocks down a hill.
    I am the Stig

Captiva is larger then a Rav4 and smaller then a Territory, It's going for both.
    Tasman JR you should have brought the whole story in of how the Captiva's suspension was set up by holden here and the rest liked it so they now all use it. And the engine tranny and interior designs etc. Holden might have called up some other deadwoods too re badge but when it comes too the Captiva they had a massive hand in this car.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

^^^^
    Its not just vehichle dynamics( holden will make that right), Im talking about the overall quality feel of the vehichle. The Hyundai we had in Tassie felt cheap, the plastic , switchgear,.
    Also the Hyundai we had averaged 15.2/100 because the engine was always getting caned to keep a decent pace up, we did give it a fair canning though. I would hate to tow anything of real weight with one as the brakes felt fairly marginal with just 4 people in the car.
    The Santa Ghey had just over 65,000 km on it and it felt looser than my car which has done 170,000. Hopefully the Captiva will be better. The proof in the pudding is not what it drives like new but how well it holds up after 100,000 km, thats the true test of quality and engineering.

What will the Captiva be worth when some kays are on them compared to a Territory ?
    Last edited by charged; 10-21-2006 at 03:30 PM.

On first test they believe it's the best quality deadwood too come from Korea easily. I think the alloytech in smaller capacity has been given some praise around i don't recall the 5 speed if it was the same as the commodore one?.
    But honest the Territory we hired with 70,000 od km was nice too drive, In-fact i like them very much there great fun too drive, If i had plenty of money for a car a day i would have one in the garage (Turbo of course).
    But it had rattles vibrations and was pretty heavy on fuel for the freeway driving we did. Also felt slow off the mark with a real delayed acceleration from the drive by wire throttle i didn't like that. We got better economy on the way home belting it's lights out

Yeah hire car get a hard life, we found with the Santa Fe the following, it will spin the tyres with aggressive driving ie get it nearly on two wheels to get it to chirp, you can handbrake turn in the space of a t junction, the rev limiter was set at 6700rpm

I haven't found the limiters yet I'm not pushing hard enough.
    Did you have any fear of flipping it
    I hope by the time i get my hired car in December too go away it's near new it should be as long as they don't hand me the keys too a VZ Calais I'll be nice and happy

We just hired any large vehicle and got the Santa Fe, mate got a VRX 380, that was a nice car and went pretty hard for what it was. The roads were wet so it wasnt a problem. If the road was dry, it could definetley turn turtle

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    On first test they believe it's the best quality deadwood too come from Korea easily. I think the alloytech in smaller capacity has been given some praise around i don't recall the 5 speed if it was the same as the commodore one?.
    But honest the Territory we hired with 70,000 od km was nice too drive, In-fact i like them very much there great fun too drive, If i had plenty of money for a car a day i would have one in the garage (Turbo of course).
    But it had rattles vibrations and was pretty heavy on fuel for the freeway driving we did. Also felt slow off the mark with a real delayed acceleration from the drive by wire throttle i didn't like that. We got better economy on the way home belting it's lights out
    The transmissions wont be the same as the Captiva's FWD biased.
    I am the Stig

Did anyone see the captiva ad? They say Captiva funny. Must admit it's a shocker and my mum and i looked at each other and laughed our arse's off, Not your best with that one holden.

Recently they're ads have been pretty rubbish. The VE one is a joke.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Thread Information