Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almaty Motorshow 2006

Almaty Motorshow 2006

Last weekend we had the opportunity to visit the famous Almaty Motorshow in Kazakhstan, and contrary to reports you may hear from would-be local Kazakh reporters, there is much more going on there than horses and carriages.

Unfortunately we were only armed with a slightly outdated Sony DSC camera, so the pics are not up to Canon standard, usually a condition for a feature on the main page. Hence we do a little report here and show some of the "highlights".

Being a direct neighbour to China there was a large contingent of Chinese cars, but also the Iranian industry showed its prides. Russian Jeeps in dubious built quality were also shown, as well as a nice collection of highly original Volgas, now reportedly commanding prices in excess of $US 60,000. A nice surprise was to see a restored 7 litre V8 engine, used in the Chaika. Some high class European cars were also exhibited, but actually the way to see those is to go to the streets of Almaty, which clearly reflect the new gained wealth of the country, due to its oil riches.

The end of Volga production was announced earlier this year, but the new 3110 fitted with a 2.4 litre Chrysler engine could postpone that.

The exhibition took place both inside and outdoors, with some interesting utility cars parked in front of the buildings. Weather in Almaty at the end of October is still nice, attracting quite of few people to the exhibition area.

So here we go, with 42 pics to follow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

second bunch
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

third set, the Volgas, including a 1958 series 1 ("star" ) model.
    Last edited by henk4; 10-24-2006 at 04:45 AM.

fourth group

Fifth set, European top...plus Chinese stuff

More exotics and Kazakh rice

small varia for the last set.

Glad to see atleast 1 of the stand girls could be bothered smiling......

Some very interesting stuff there.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I have to say those are some of the most depressed looking car girls yet seen.....some of them look utterly annoyed at them having to be there.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Wow !!! I wished i had been there There are so many (to me) unknown cars of weird eastern brands

Happened to see Burat ?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I have to say those are some of the most depressed looking car girls yet seen.....some of them look utterly annoyed at them having to be there.....
    especially the one on the right nex to the lada

Actually, the made in China/Chinese cars look fairly good but is the build quality of these Chinese cars really generally as bad as people say it is?
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen

that is a design failure, not really build quality. Yes the materials in the Chinese built cars may be cheaper than we would like to see here these days, but that does not mean that they won't last. With the stuff they have, cars are actually pretty well put together, contrary to for instance the UAZ Russian jeeps.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    small varia for the last set.
    Nice pics, Pieter, I like the Lada Vaz 2101 pic the most, but couldn't you just kick the girl out, she is ruin it!

Thread Information