Thread: f1 horsepower question

f1 horsepower question

alright, here's the problem

assuming that when the F1 engine is new it has (roughly) 800 bhp

does it have same power during all its life? i mean, does the power drop after, let's say, 80 laps?
    12 cylinders or walk!

I have to say that I can't provide a definite answer, but:

In road car engines, even the most thoroughly maintained engines suffer power losses during their life-span. For that reason, I guess that the same happens with an F1 engine.

I guess that any difference in the power output depeds upon the friction generated. Does the piston seal maintain the same performance throughout its lifespan? Does the cylinder coating maintain its friction properties even after 200 km of racing?
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    I have to say that I can't provide a definite answer, but:

In road car engines, even the most thoroughly maintained engines suffer power losses during their life-span. For that reason, I guess that the same happens with an F1 engine.

I guess that any difference in the power output depeds upon the friction generated. Does the piston seal maintain the same performance throughout its lifespan? Does the cylinder coating maintain its friction properties even after 200 km of racing?
    yea that what i was leading to... because f1's engine's life is far shorter does it mean that that power loss comes proportionally faster?
    12 cylinders or walk!

I'm sure F1 engines are designed with that in mind and probably don't loose that much power, in the last race of the season schumacher was setting faster and faster laps.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Even if they did lose power, the engines would all wear at very close rates, so they would all become slower together, so no one car would gain an advantage due to this effect.

Laps 1: 800bhp
    Laps 1-80: 750 bhp
    Laps 80+: 0 bhp (engine self-destructs, MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY)
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    I'm sure F1 engines are designed with that in mind and probably don't loose that much power, in the last race of the season schumacher was setting faster and faster laps.
    Except that was a new engine in Schumacher's car for Brazil, so was less than halfway through its "life". Any loss in power would've been minimal at that point.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I've heard once (way back in 1996) that an F1 car's engine contorts and bends quite a bit during a GP, with it being a structural member of the chassis and all.

That was when F1 engines were designed to last only one race, so the situation might be different today. Even so, I think it probably depends on the manufacturer and conditions, but overall I think no, today's F1 engines probably don't lose power.

I think it's also a safe bet to assume the brain-trust of F1 found numerous methods of bypassing any power-loss of the engine during GPs.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Ive heard they dont lose power, but the teams would all judge that with the revs. They only use maximum revs for qualifying and overtaking in the race. Practise is low revs and the majority of the race is medium revs.

What would make it look like theyre down on power is if they need to overstress an engine for race 1, then for race 2 they need to turn the revs down.
    I am the Stig

This is paraphrasing, but I believe that Ferdinand Porsche said that the perfect racecar crosses the finish line and then disentigrates - it goes to the MAX. Hahaha. I am wonmdering if any of you guys have the figures for the horsepower of the 2006 season; I read it somewhere but I have forgotten where and what the numbers were. All I know is the Honda was on top with 800 odd and Mercedes at the bottom with 710 odd. Now they are stuck with them 'till 2010. That is stupid. Bernie is an ass. Max too.

Those figures were pretty far off to put Honda at the top with 800.

At Bahrain, McLaren DID have about 710 but Honda were only at about 720, with Ferrari, Renault, Toyota at about 740 and Cosworth at the top with about 745hp.

Dr Mario Theissen claims the BMW engines are at the same specific power as the V10's were last year, so if the P84/5 V10 was about 950hp, then thats still only 760hp for the V8's. 800hp is way off.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information