Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much profit car manufacturers make?

How much profit car manufacturers make?

Does anyone have any idea how much profit car manufacturers make per car?
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

for an average family car probably about £5000

I would think it be less than that.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

what about off a Ferrari
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

none...

if they're American

I think supercars.net said Ferrari make like $550,000 profit on each Enzo. So that make them like $100,000 to produce. Yeah that doesn't sound right
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

The carbon fiber itself has got to be pricy. It's all man hours.

No-one knows exact figures, unless they are well paid employees of the manufacturer.

Everything else is speculation and rumour in my opinion
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

If it helps, I know VW lose a bunch on each Veyron (bit of useless info there as every UCPer already knows that).

I think Porsche is the most profitable per car produced at the moment, no idea what they make of each car though...

In the past week or so, Ford announced up to 3rd Qtr they have lost 5.8 Billion. If we asume they make 5 million cars a in those 3 quarters they lose about $1.000 per car. GM and DiamlerChrysler shouldn't be far from that. Toyota is the most profitable from the large scale operations, followed by Honda. For those guys the net profit is about 5%. I estimate the average price at $20.000 which means the average profit per car would be around $1000.

Porsche is the most profitable manufacturer, (but if they keep on buying VW stock that would change soon ). BTW, Porsche being most profitable means they have the biggest margin, not that they produce the largest profit. In 2005 they sold about 90.000 cars with a profit of about $8,700 per car.
    Last edited by magracer; 10-27-2006 at 09:08 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

Varies heavily from car to car, I believe. I remember reading that Volkswagen were urgently trying to replace the current Golf, because it costs too much to build, so the profit margine were far too slim.

Don't forget that there's tons of variables in it, too. I remember when Peugeot closed down the English plant, they justified by claiming that the English-made cars cost about £300 extra per car to make than the eastern European ones. So even for a particular car, such as the 206, there's variables even within that.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Varies heavily from car to car, I believe. I remember reading that Volkswagen were urgently trying to replace the current Golf, because it costs too much to build, so the profit margine were far too slim.

Don't forget that there's tons of variables in it, too. I remember when Peugeot closed down the English plant, they justified by claiming that the English-made cars cost about £300 extra per car to make than the eastern European ones. So even for a particular car, such as the 206, there's variables even within that.
    Can you find that article on the Golf?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    Can you find that article on the Golf?
    It was in one of dozens of Autocars that I have kicking around my room so this means two things:

a) I probably won't be able to find it, but even if I do, I have no scanner.

and

b) It's in Autocar, so there probably only a 20-30% chance that it's from a trustworthy source (i.e true).

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    It was in one of dozens of Autocars that I have kicking around my room so this means two things:

a) I probably won't be able to find it, but even if I do, I have no scanner.

and

b) It's in Autocar, so there probably only a 20-30% chance that it's from a trustworthy source (i.e true).

Oh right, fair enough
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    In the past week or so, Ford announced up to 3rd Qtr they have lost 5.8 Billion. If we asume they make 5 million cars a in those 3 quarters they lose about $1.000 per car. GM and DiamlerChrysler shouldn't be far from that. Toyota is the most profitable from the large scale operations, followed by Honda. For those guys the net profit is about 5%. I estimate the average price at $20.000 which means the average profit per car would be around $1000.

Porsche is the most profitable manufacturer, (but if they keep on buying VW stock that would change soon ). BTW, Porsche being most profitable means they have the biggest margin, not that they produce the largest profit. In 2005 they sold about 90.000 cars with a profit of about $8,700 per car.
    You can't work out profit per vehicle by overall quarter profits. In the case of American Automakers, they have health care, buyouts (Ford and GM), running costs, other automotive sectors (Like Ford Credit). Ford would make money on each car, but lose money in the restructuring process. GM would have actually made over 500 million dollars profit this quarter if it wasn't for employee buyouts!!
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    You can't work out profit per vehicle by overall quarter profits. In the case of American Automakers, they have health care, buyouts (Ford and GM), running costs, other automotive sectors (Like Ford Credit). Ford would make money on each car, but lose money in the restructuring process. GM would have actually made over 500 million dollars profit this quarter if it wasn't for employee buyouts!!
    That's the best I could do, so let's see your numbers mate!

Actually, I guess I could do a little better by downloading the annual reports but I couldn´t be bothered ATM.
    Zag when they Zig

Thread Information