Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy thread

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    I know... misspell (mispell?) it way too often (must be a subliminal fetish for grilling), but considering the amount of bad spelling/grammar around here didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! Or rather, the Dutch one...
    and the correct answer would be: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition or the Dutch one...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Getz is now Bi-Fuel, LPG and Gas. It's doing around 8L/100kms on LPG wich is very good on the pocket.

LPG is around .70€ around here.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It is my wife's car for going to work, (if she does not take the Bicycle for her 20 km one way trip.....) and we use it for "long" distance driving in the Netherlands, cruising at constant speeds of 105 kph. Flooring is a word that has not entered the vocabulary. The EHdi version has been specially developed, and includes a start stop system. The C5 has been set aside for foreign trips only and in case we need to transport furniture or something.
    Yes, so basically for that kind of driving you wouldn't care if it were fuelled with petrol, diesel or elephant dung, as long as it were as cheap as possible!

Though I have to say; these "start-stop" systems are just an expensive repair bill waiting to happen.

and the correct answer would be: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition or the Dutch one...
    ROFL!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Wow, well, I have done 195,5 miles (ca. 310km?) and the guess gauge needle is exactly on the 3/4 tank mark. Owing for the fact that I know how non-linearly the needle moves, I think that will get me ~440 miles(~710km) on the entire tank and around 40mpg (~5,9l/100km)!
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-31-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Now at 244,0 miles (~390km), guess gauge needle showing three needlewidths below the 3/4 mark. '00 Echo.

324,3 (~510km) miles on the tank, needle showing nearly a needlewidth under 1/2 tank. Still looking good for about a 430-ish mile (~690km) tank, or about ~40-42mpg (~5,75l/100km)

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Yes, so basically for that kind of driving you wouldn't care if it were fuelled with petrol, diesel or elephant dung, as long as it were as cheap as possible!
    Diesel is the cheapest of those three options....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Diesel is the cheapest of those three options....
    Especially if you burn some of the restaurant cooking oil castoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Especially if you burn some of the restaurant cooking oil castoffs...
    not needed, due to our tax system on fuels, road diesel is about 25-30 eurocents per litre cheaper than regular gas. We do pay more road tax for diesel engined cars, but because of the very low CO2 emission of the C3 it will be exempted from road tax until 2014.

Not bad...

Filled up yesterday - a bit early, could have easily gotten another 50+ miles out of the tank, but curiosity killed the cat.

39,53 mpg (5,95l/100km)

jcp I gotta say, I never figured you to go down the route of hypermiling when I first read your posts here.

Yea someone with a Mustang Convertible worred about mpg, look out USA.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I think I've matured lately, and while I still have a bit of a rebellious streak, I am far more mellow and "fair" than I used to be. My heart still lies with a good classic car though I found I liked the personal challenge of eking out a few more MPG, and if I saved a few bucks while I was at it, so much the better! I am one of the least hardcore out there though. Wayne Gerdes is the unofficial king of MPG, getting just shy of 50mpg in his own AT Accord and giving much of his time as admin of a hypermiling website, reviewing fuel-efficient automobiles, and acting as something of an ambassador to hypermiling. Others are getting 100+mpg regularly in Honda Insights, one gentleman who lives near me is getting over 70mpg in his '96 Civic, and tons of others getting 80+ in Toyota Priuses. I wouldn't even be competitive in my setup without getting a mid-40mpg average.
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-07-2012 at 05:08 PM.

I think I'll start measuring the fuel mileage of my '76 Cadillac Limousine. Just to see what it is getting. I did check years ago and it was between 10.0 to 10.5 mpg with one highway trip getting 12 mpg.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Thread Information