Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bought a new car

bought a new car

welp im been searching for a winter cruiser for some time now, because the mustang just doesnt cut it for winter and i finally found something i liked. its a 1974 ford country squire station wagon. its SWEET! i noticed it sitting on the road im working on and it caught my eye because ive always been a sucker for cars like these. i noticed it was for sale for 800 bucks obo and it was in pretty decent shape for a 74 so i decided to take a closer look. once i peered in the window my jaw dropped. the interior was in immaculate shape. its seriousley in better condition just about than my mustang. i talked to the guy and i found out why... not even 25k original miles on the car! took it for a test drive tonite and fell in love. payed him 600 dollars cash and now its mine! i will try and get some pictures of it this weekend when i get home but for now i am attatching a picture of one that looks just like it except the color. mine is sky blue instead of red. woodgrain on sky blue..hideous! i love it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Is your name clark griswald by any chance?
    Sweet car, beaters are the shizz, I just picked one up too.

Congrats, sounds like you got a great deal. Why a station wagon? Are you gonna carry a lot of stuff over the winter?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

lets just say theres a huge flat space in the back.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Is your name clark griswald by any chance?
    Sweet car, beaters are the shizz, I just picked one up too.
    its not a beater...its a cruiser

why a wagon? because its huge and ugly and yea i probably will carry quite a bit of cargo with it. but yes the large flat floor is one of my main uses for the wagon. i have tried in the stang and its not worth the hassle...jeez u cant even get road head in that bastard! the shaggin wagon has a big ol bench seat up front

i only wish it was as sweet as the wagon queen family truckster
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    That is beautiful! A low-mileage '74 Country Squire for only 600 bucks? Sounds to me like an excellent buy, congratulations. Sky blue's a nice color on those too. Now if only I could find a deal like that on a '76 Cougar....
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

What did you find out about the car's history?

That would make a great band vehicle

winter tires?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

i'm glad you guys like it! i was afraid everybody would think i was crazy! i didnt find out much about the history...i assumed it was the guys (he was a younger guy, id say about 25) grandparents and he inhereted it but he said he just saw it sitting in a guys garage and bought it. then he just drove it for a while and just decided to sell it, since hes moving into a new house or somethin. i dont know...i dont even care really..i believe the milage to be true and the car seems like it runs pretty good so im happy
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

How can you go wrong $600 bucks, anybody that criticizes you is crazy.

Haha what a tank!

Seriously thats huge, for $600 you definitely ant go wrong. Does yours have the same wood?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Oh man

It's so awful it's actually cool! What engine has it got?? An example of American 70's irony at its best- and what a bargain. Fark.

Wow... that is really a good buy with the low miles it has.
    I would also like to know what engine it has... 400? 460?

Those '70 big Ford wagons are nice and comfortable to drive.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

It looks like someone has turned a rover inside out.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

yes it has the same wood as the one in the picture..just light blue paint and a lil bit more rust down on the rockers haha. the rust isnt bad at all tho..just a little surface rust in a few spots. i'm going to find some touch up paint thats close and clean the rust off and spray it with that..or else just 2 tone the bottom with black paint if i need to. i just want to cover up the rust so i can stop it from going any farther (70's american cars are magnets for rust, and once they start rusting..they go quick!). the bottom of the car isnt too bad either and i will probably end up putting truck bed liner or por-15 down on the bottom after i clean that up to stop the rust there too.

as for the motor its the 400 CID. ive got a flowmaster straight through muffler and a nitrous kit sitting around at home....hmm....

i havent gotten much seat time in her yet..i'd say about 10 mins overall because legally i shouldnt be driving it yet. i will be driving it home this weekend however so that i can get the title put in my name and liscense it and whatnot. im hoping it will bring my insurance rates down too. i pay 225 a month for my mustang on a clean record...hopefully having the wagon on there will lower that dramatically (it should). winter tires, tinted windows, CB radio, police scanner, footprint gas pedal and fuzzy dice coming soon for it too!

she does ride real nice tho, just glides over the terrain. on big bumps it rattles a lot but its not jarring its just the sound of cheap 70's plastic. hopefully i can track down the source of some of these rattles and take care of them because im sure they could get annoying after a while. the steering on it is effortless, you could turn it with one finger easily but she makes some wide turns, but thats ok because i drive large trucks at work all the time so im used to a big vehicle. i love the view you get from the drivers seat, big ol hood with a hood ornament right in the middle. just aim the ornament where you want to go and mash the gas!
    Last edited by Juggs; 10-31-2006 at 05:35 PM.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information