Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just one more reason to hate Ssang Yong

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    as Steven Hawking would probably say, what is a coupe? In an infinitely parallel universe, a coupe in other universes may have 4 doors and a sedan has 2 doors , so this makes all other arguments null and void.
    Of what relevence is that? We are in this universe, so lets limit the discussion to said universe.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

I say we should do away with terms such as "Coupe", "Saloon", "Hatchback" and such and instead use only terms such as 2-door, 4-door, 3-door, 2-door-with-loadbed (seeing how we're discussing pick-ups as well) etc.

What sayeth the rest of UCP (I'm smelling a poll coming up)?

The front of the car looked like it hit the wall and the engine's been pushed-in! The headlights looks like clones from the Acura RSX.

Don't like it.
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    I say we should do away with terms such as "Coupe", "Saloon", "Hatchback" and such and instead use only terms such as 2-door, 4-door, 3-door, 2-door-with-loadbed (seeing how we're discussing pick-ups as well) etc.

What sayeth the rest of UCP (I'm smelling a poll coming up)?
    What about the Merc CLS then? Describing it as a 4 door doesnt do it justice, and makes it sound pointless compared to other models...but it really isnt a 2 door.
    I think Coupe can stay. I think it should be a style thing. The CLS is a coupe styled 4 door, the Ford Focus 3 door is NOT a coupe, but a 2 door hatch.
    Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by byronleehk
    The front of the car looked like it hit the wall and the engine's been pushed-in! The headlights looks like clones from the Acura RSX.

Don't like it.
    Yeah, thats Ssang Yongs sports styling. Its....alternative...Like that Orochi thing.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    What about the Merc CLS then? Describing it as a 4 door doesnt do it justice, and makes it sound pointless compared to other models...but it really isnt a 2 door.
    I think Coupe can stay. I think it should be a style thing. The CLS is a coupe styled 4 door, the Ford Focus 3 door is NOT a coupe, but a 2 door hatch.
    Make sense?
    Er, no

To me the CLS is a 4 door since it has, well, 4 doors. It might be a good looking 4 door, but a 4 door nonetheless...

The Focus thing, well to me that's just a 3 door.

Having said that, maybe we should stick to calling a CLS a CLS (no 4 door coupe or such silliness) and a Focus 3 door a Focus 3 door, I guess 2 door hatch is OK too.

Whatever tickles your fancy though, I don't care if someone calls a CLS a 4 door coupe or whatever, since calling it a CLS already brings up the proper shape in my mind, so it's all good.

Heh. Good point. Who are we to set the laws of English?
    All about the t-tops

Stop obsessing about the CLS for a minute, which btw was not "the world's first 4-door coupe" as Mercedes falsely claimed

For a clearer example think instead about the Rover P5 4-door which was offered both in saloon and yes a coupe version too

From the beltline down the 4-door coupe model is identical to the saloon. But the entire greenhouse and roofline of the coupe variant is completely different - being raked, shortened and lowered 2.5 inches .. a-la exactly befitting the literal definition of coupe

To cap it off, guess what the official name of this model is? That's right .. it's the Rover P5 Coupe

In consideration of the corresponding saloon variant, what other known category of bodystyle but Coupe could this particular Rover 4-door be identified as?

Should it be the four-door-sedan-with-a-definitive-coupe-style-silhouette-but-we-won't-call-it-coupe-even-though-it's-actually-named-coupe-because-we-wrongly-insist-for-inexplicable-reasons-that-four-doors-cannot-also-be-coupes ..?

Somehow I think not Because unlike the other experts I don't have a problem with it .. you know, if it looks like a duck ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nota; 11-02-2006 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    For a clearer example think instead about the Rover P5 4-door which was offered both in saloon and yes a coupe version too
    I got some recent pics of the coupe, so it will enter the oddball corner soon.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    In consideration of the corresponding saloon variant, what other known category of bodystyle but Coupe could this particular Rover 4-door be identified as?

Should it be the four-door-sedan-with-a-definitive-coupe-style-silhouette-but-we-won't-call-it-coupe-even-though-it's-actually-named
    -coupe-because-we-wrongly-insist-for-inexplicable-reasons-that-four-doors-cannot-also-be-coupes
    ..?

Hows about just calling it P5 eh?
    Last edited by Kooper; 11-02-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    The problem is, the CLS is pointless- so Mercedes had to come up with some (false) marketing spiel to make it sound acceptable.

When you take it down to the bare roots, it is an E-Class with slightly sharper handling, better (?) looks, a heftier price tag and a more limited range of engines.

It fits nowhere in the Mercedes lineup, so they had to make a new category for it- just as with their utterly ridiculous Vaneo (which has been quietly phased from production).

And as for the SsangYong- what a piece of shit

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    The problem is, the CLS is pointless- so Mercedes had to come up with some (false) marketing spiel to make it sound acceptable.

When you take it down to the bare roots, it is an E-Class with slightly sharper handling, better (?) looks, a heftier price tag and a more limited range of engines.

It fits nowhere in the Mercedes lineup, so they had to make a new category for it- just as with their utterly ridiculous Vaneo (which has been quietly phased from production).
    Exactly. I couldn't agree with you more. It makes me wonder how many they would've sold if they didn't market it with the bullshit "coupe" tag.

The NEW Mercedes E-Class LRH Edition! (Less Rear Headroom)

Hey, the CLS is selling though. I guess it's for people who would want an E-Class but want more styling. Though I do wonder what would have happened if Mercedes didn't give it so much publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The NEW Mercedes E-Class LRH Edition! (Less Rear Headroom)
    Some funny stuff right there!

Yep, I too think the CLS has no significant purpose, except making DC some extra money.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    A coupe? With 4 doors? That's an oxymoron...

4-doors = sedan
    2 doors = coupe
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    A coupe? With 4 doors? That's an oxymoron...

4-doors = sedan
    2 doors = coupe
    There's plenty of 2 door cars which are not coupes (eg sedan, wagon etc)

Therefore having 2 doors is completely unrelated to whether a car is a coupe or not, because the number of doors itself is irrelevant. And ipso facto having 4 doors is also not relevent to whether a car can be defined as a coupe or not

Thread Information