Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn Buick Le Sabre

Damn Buick Le Sabre

Okay, I admit that this thread is a bit pointless and nothing but a rant, but I'm going for it anyway.
    I don't have a car right now, my brother wrecked it while his was in the shop, so I usually just borrow his or one of my parent's. Today, however, he was driving. So I go outside and get in the LeSabre. He goes around back and puts some stuff in the trunk. We're ready to go, so he puts the key in the ignition, he turns the key... nothing. He tries it again-clicking, but the engines doesn't turn. I tell him to get out of the car and pop the hood. He does so; I go into the garage and get the jumper cables, go to the car and am astounded. I ask myself, "where's the f*cking battery?" I think about it and decide that it must be in the trunk... wrong, again! Now I am royally pissed, evidenced by the fact that I actually read the user's manual. Where is the battery, not the front, not the rear, but the middle. You have to remove to rear seat to access the battery. I don't mean it folds up; you seriusly have to take the thing out-utter nonsense. So, now we have a Buick parked in the street in front of my house with the rear seat on the roof, a Crown Vic perpendeicular to it(Damn those short jumper cables), and then the clamp of one of the cables slid off the ground-sparks landing on some paper and almost starting a fire. We get the car started and the day commenced as per usual-though the battery still won't hold a charge. Point being, I hate GM engineers-their brilliant decision to put the battery under the seat ruined my morning.

PS-How do I fix the title. I missed the "c" in Buick.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Does the Battery light on the dash stay on? If it does, your alternator is probably fried.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Shows how much car engineers care about mechanics. Seriously, poor ergonomics and engineering is the major downfall of American cars. It's getting better, but who the hell puts batteries in the car seats?

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Wow, that's just ridiculous. If it was a sports car, and was done for proper weight balance, maybe I could understand. But it's a Buick LeSabre (What year is it, by the way? FWD or RWD?).

What was GM thinking? My guess: Make the buyer entirely dependent on dealer service for the rest of their natural life (which, considering the average age of Buick buyers, might not be that long).
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

The non-enthusiast doesn't change their own batteries anyway. Sure it's an inconvenience for the tech, but he's probably making at least an hour on that battery change.

And a lot of times, batteries are moved for weight or space. Depending on what year that Buick is, it may have a big honkin' V8 in it, and they may have had to move it, or move something stupid like a coolant reservoir somewhere else, thus adding cost and complexity.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Weight and space, eh? That thought crossed my mind during the course of the day-mainly the third jump start of the day. I doubt they care about weight-3600lbs of car that has a suspension like melted butter and countless needless accessories. As for space there is a good 6 inches(at the narrowest spot) of nothingness in front of the engine. It has a V6, though at 3.8L it is a fairly large one, and is front wheel drive. The alternator is fine. The fuses, also under the seat, are all fine. Every thing is fine excepting that I am ready to kill whomever made the decision regarding battery location. The point is, doubtlessly, to force you to the dealership-somewhere I have never gone for a battery issue.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    The non-enthusiast doesn't change their own batteries anyway. Sure it's an inconvenience for the tech, but he's probably making at least an hour on that battery change.

And a lot of times, batteries are moved for weight or space. Depending on what year that Buick is, it may have a big honkin' V8 in it, and they may have had to move it, or move something stupid like a coolant reservoir somewhere else, thus adding cost and complexity.
    The Buick is not a small car and I'm sure if they fitted a V-6 to it they could have fit it in under the hood too.

Well there is obviously a reason for this. Its been proven that batteries under the rear seats keep them away from engine heat and cold temperatures if you live in that neck of the woods where it gets really cold. I can see removing the seat becoming a pain in the ass quite quickly though.

OH BTW did you check to see if it had terminals in the engine bay by any chance?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Never buy an MGB if that pisses you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    PS-How do I fix the title. I missed the "c" in Buick.
    Titles can only be edited by Moderators, fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Weight and space, eh? That thought crossed my mind during the course of the day-mainly the third jump start of the day. I doubt they care about weight-3600lbs of car that has a suspension like melted butter and countless needless accessories. As for space there is a good 6 inches(at the narrowest spot) of nothingness in front of the engine. It has a V6, though at 3.8L it is a fairly large one, and is front wheel drive. The alternator is fine. The fuses, also under the seat, are all fine. Every thing is fine excepting that I am ready to kill whomever made the decision regarding battery location. The point is, doubtlessly, to force you to the dealership-somewhere I have never gone for a battery issue.
    How do you know the alternator is fine?

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Well there is obviously a reason for this. Its been proven that batteries under the rear seats keep them away from engine heat and cold temperatures if you live in that neck of the woods where it gets really cold. I can see removing the seat becoming a pain in the ass quite quickly though.

OH BTW did you check to see if it had terminals in the engine bay by any chance?
    Well other batteries seem to do fine in the engine bay or trunk. I don't see why it has to be different. If it's really that cold, the foam in the seats isn't going to help much more. It's not like you left your engine running so that the heat would help. If it really was that cold, putting it in the engine bay could be better because the heat from the engine would protect it better. And if it was hot it would roast down there. Putting it in the engine bay would allow it some extra air from the outside.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 10-24-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Thats messed up. My friend used to have a Chevy Llumina and she had a similar problem when the battery died, but it wasn't under a seat it was at like the back of the engine bay with like three fluid tanks surrounding it or something like that. Basically it was hard to get to. Apparently GM doesn't think this stuff through.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Thats messed up. My friend used to have a Chevy Llumina and she had a similar problem when the battery died, but it wasn't under a seat it was at like the back of the engine bay with like three fluid tanks surrounding it or something like that. Basically it was hard to get to. Apparently GM doesn't think this stuff through.
    if you like that kind of thing, try working on a 300zx turbo [/nightmare]
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    if you like that kind of thing, try working on a 300zx turbo [/nightmare]
    Good thing I decided on the Jetta.

Thread Information