Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penske: All these classes are a pain

Penske: All these classes are a pain

Roger Penske has urged the powers that be in the American Le Mans to consider simplifying the class structure – as it is just too complicated.

Penske Racing made their full-time return to road racing this season in the ALMS and will continue to compete in the sport in 2007. Furthermore while the season was a success for the team, with Penske winning the ALMS LMP2 team and manufacturer championships as well as taking the drivers' title with Sascha Maassen and Lucas Luhr, Roger reckons there is room for improvement.

"One thing I wish in the series - and I've talked to Scott Atherton and Tim Mayer, and I'd like to talk to Don Panoz about it - is that we're in America and people want to see racing. I'm not sure people understand all these classes," he confirmed. "Sometimes I don't understand it!

"But overall it's been a fantastic series and from a Penske Racing perspective, it gives us an opportunity to compete in long-distance events and use our strategy. Long-distance racing really fits our shoes. We've had success at Indianapolis because you get to use your strategy. And it's about reliability. This year has been a real learning curve for us because you have to run 12 hours at a place like Sebring to be successful."

As for the future and if they have any plans to step up to the LMP1 class, Penske said it is unlikely to happen in 2008, especially as they will switch to using a newer version of the Porsche RS Spyder next year.

"Next year our plan is to remain in LMP2. So [moving up to the LMP1] that would have to be a 2008 decision," he continued. "I don't see it in the cards right now. It's a new car and a new engine. If you're going to start competing with diesel engines and hybrids and other things coming, it really starts to cloud the future because the expense to convert from one engine configuration to another is very large. And I'm not sure you get the value of that from the fans sitting around in the paddock and around the track.

"I'd like to see a consistent series where we have a set of rules that would be for five years. The American Le Mans Series is being dictated by a rulebook from the ACO (which drives Le Mans). We are a lot different with four-hour races and one or two 12-hour ones versus a 24-hour race. It's not completely consistent. I'm of the mind that we need to have one pure prototype class and one for coupes like the Corvettes and Porsches and Aston Martins.

"I think the excitement of the racing if everybody had the same power and had different looking chassis and different looking engine, I think it would take the sport another 100 feet high."
    The last statement pretty much says ALMS should be like Grand-Am.

...So merge the LMP and GT classes? Hmmm...NO.

"One thing I wish in the series is that we're in America and people want to see racing."
    Why is that statement qualified by the fact that he is in America?

There is no clear logic to the inclusion of the comment.

I can't believe that someone in his position and with his experience would be as childish to actually suggest that people outside the USA don't want to see racing.

The alternative seems to be the equally childish notion that to not support his argument is "un-American".

"I'm not sure people understand all these classes," he confirmed. "Sometimes I don't understand it!"
    It is hardly rocket science. If he really has difficulty with that concept, I wonder how he manages to turn up to the events fully clothed:

"Socks are a different shape to a shirt, I don't understand!"

"If you're going to start competing with diesel engines and hybrids and other things coming, it really starts to cloud the future because the expense to convert from one engine configuration to another is very large. And I'm not sure you get the value of that from the fans sitting around in the paddock and around the track."
    More or less value than they get from watching a team owner sit on the pit wall scratching their arse?

"The American Le Mans Series is being dictated by a rulebook from the ACO (which drives Le Mans). We are a lot different with four-hour races and one or two 12-hour ones versus a 24-hour race. It's not completely consistent.
    So, what he wants to do, if I understand this correctly, is take the American Le Mans Series, and sever its ties with Le Mans.

I am also confused at which particular part of the rules creates any conflict between racing for 4 hours or 24 hours, and why that is such a hurdle to overcome.

"I'm of the mind that we need to have one pure prototype class and one for coupes like the Corvettes and Porsches and Aston Martins."
    Yes, and should that be implemented the same day that Mr Penske moves out of the LMP2 class, or would he like to see it come in next year so he wins absolutely nothing at all?

"I think it would take the sport another 100 feet high."
    I think, Mr Penske, that your opinions are guff.

If you don't like the race series, and the rules that the series runs too

1 - don't compete in it, no one is forcing you to

2 - don't just say "I don't much like this, your series should use my rules instead.

It seems to be the case that he wants the rules altered just so, to enable himself to win.

He is obviously unhappy that he isn't getting enough money or media glory by competing and winning in LMP2, but knows he can't hope to win against the likes of Audi in LMP1 - so lets suggest a rule change that outlaws diesel power!

Quite why he wishes all of the smaller budget privateer teams in GT2 to suffer against factory backed GT1 teams with inherently faster cars at the same time is also somewhat of a puzzle.
    Thanks for all the fish

Don't take what he says out of context. What i got from that is the Gt1,2,3,4, 6,10 and LMp1,2,5,7 classes need to be molded into two whole groups respectively, because to be honest i don't understand the difference between Gt1 and Gt2. NOt only that but for first time viewer's it will be easy for them to understand aswell. Hopefully if they get the classifications simplified we can see a lot different cars competing, and i think i speak for everyone when i say i am tired of seeing a porsche carrera cup race for the GT classes. It get's repetetive and boring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by speednine
    because to be honest i don't understand the difference between Gt1 and Gt2.
    Gt1 is mostly factory backed cars with lots of power.

Gt2 is privateer teams with much slower cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Why is that statement qualified by the fact that he is in America?

There is no clear logic to the inclusion of the comment.

I can't believe that someone in his position and with his experience would be as childish to actually suggest that people outside the USA don't want to see racing.

The alternative seems to be the equally childish notion that to not support his argument is "un-American".
    I don't get this either. I think there are more people outside of the US that have more of an interest in ALMS then Americans do. In fact I bet if you asked 1000 Americans what ALMS is most of them couldn't answer it.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Not to offend anyone, but why follow the ALMS when you can follow the real Le Mans?

Don't take what he says out of context.
    In what context should his comments be put then?

because to be honest i don't understand the difference between Gt1 and Gt2.
    And who is to blame for that lack of understanding?

Have you ever bothered to try and understand, maybe spend 5 minutes doing a bit of research?

In 20 seconds I opened a browser window, googled the ALMS site and found the documentation explaining the rules for each of the classes...

Hopefully if they get the classifications simplified we can see a lot different cars competing.
    Hope all you want, you won't get.

The reason that the ACO and FIA have split their endurance racing series into classes is to get more cars & teams competing.

If you combine the respective LMP and GT classes you'll either lose the smaller teams who can't compete with the full factory supported efforts, or you'll lose the top manufacturers who are in it for the results and press coverage.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Not to offend anyone, but why follow the ALMS when you can follow the real Le Mans?
    Possibly because the "real" Le Mans only happens once a year, as opposed to a series of 9 races?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    TV coverage aswell, I assume your reffering to LMES.

The funny part is no one is going to support Roger's opinions

Er, how did this guy get into a position to be running a team at basically the pinnacle of motorsport if he can't wrap his mind around 2 classes with 2 different sub-classes? It's not that hard.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Er, how did this guy get into a position to be running a team at basically the pinnacle of motorsport if he can't wrap his mind around 2 classes with 2 different sub-classes? It's not that hard.
    It's because he has money, and he ran Porsche prototypes in the Can-Am era.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    It's because he has money, and he ran Porsche prototypes in the Can-Am era.
    So not by having a brain?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    So not by having a brain?
    What brain?

Thread Information