Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: A work of pure genius! - Brilliant "Revetec" Engine

A work of pure genius! - Brilliant "Revetec" Engine

This thing is brilliant. Just check the site out, you'll see how it works. It's amazing how much rotational inertia is conserved... just look, you'll see. Revetec is an Australian company, by the way. Genius, mate

EDIT: I just found a few stats on another site... apperently the power stats on this particular unit range from 85hp/250NM to 243hp/300+NM. Keep in mind that this engine weighs 50kg (For comparison, a tiny air-cooled VW flat-4 weighs just over 90kg, and it's a relative featherweight).

This Revetec unit is 50% shorter than a comparable engine. High efficiency, and 12 firing cycles per engine revolution. This design is incredible. I'm completely impressed.

http://www.revetec.com/website/index.html

Advantages:
    • approximately one quarter the size and weight of a conventional engine (for similar applications) combined with improved output substantially increases power/weight and torque/weight ratio.
    • fewer moving and total components. As a result of fewer components, more easily manufactured than conventional engines.
    • identical cylinder head assembly (“top end”) to conventional engines. Most existing head technology can be either adapted or utilised.
    • Flexible design - can be four-stroke, two-stroke, petrol, diesel or gas, natural of forced aspiration.
    • Eliminated irregularly reciprocating components such as connecting rods.
    • Output shaft can be run in either direction if multilobed cams with symmetrical lobes are employed.
    • All rotational forces are counteracted via the counter rotating cam – eliminates the need for a heavy flywheel.
    • Torque and power output can be varied using a fixed capacity and piston stroke.
    • The CCE can be designed to operate at greatly reduced operating speeds while delivering high torque output.
    • Substantial reduction in stroke reduces heat loss through cylinder wall.
    • Extended piston dwell is possible because engine design allows a lower than normal compression ratio to be used reducing power loss from compression cycle.
    • Maximum mechanical advantage can be applied to output shaft at only 10 degrees ATDC utilising high cylinder pressure early in the stroke, compared to around 60 degrees ATDC for conventional engines.
    • Lower emissions can be achieved due to increased control over combustion.
    • Extremely low idle speed due to increase in mechanical efficiency at the top of the stroke.
    • Little or no bore contact/piston side thrust, which reduces wear on cylinder bore.
    • Can have different port timing on compression stroke than power stroke allowing better control two-stroke).
    • Lower centre of gravity.
    • Due to controlled piston acceleration rates the CCE reduces engine vibration.
    • A hollow output shaft can be utilised for specialty applications, such as peristaltic pumps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-07-2004 at 01:26 AM.

Very interesting.

Seeing as they are using a Proton Impian as a test vehicle it must be reasonably powerful.

Edit: 85 - 240 hp
    If it has good throttle response and can rev nicely, this would be the perfect engine for a seven replica/ caterham/ westfield etc.

Edit again: Stupidity. /learns to read properly
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 04-07-2004 at 01:51 AM.
    Thanks for all the fish

the Impian's called a Waja here. if you think the names stupid then you'd roll around on the floor over the first advertising campaign Proton had for it.....

nevertheless, the engine looks pretty impressive. im still getting around how it actually works though
    I am the Stig

so when do I get my flat 12 pushing 600 HP on pump gas? That can be daily driven? That weighs as much as a v6?

hmmm? hmmmmmm?
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Not bad!

Considering the weight of it(50kg) it the power to weight ratio would be real good. and furthur developments, if it is succesfull could mean a new engine of the roads.
    Gotta learn more about it, its interesting!!!
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

wow...all i can say is...why din they think of this earlier? man, this could revolutionise engine design...it'll change everything...as eggnog said, this is the result of a pure genius...i'm just dumbfounded...i was learning so much about our conventional IC engine lately...and now i might have to throw it all out the window!!! they might win the nobel price with this!!!can't wait for a force induction version of a 4 cylinder version, man, it can as well pump 400hp!!!

and i have to say, they are dumb to experiment the worlds most ingenius engine on the worlds crappiest car...you think the name is stupid? wait till you test drive it...why can't they test it any other cars?

yeah great idea do you think this will ever catch on?

I don't, and here's why:

the costs of gearing up for production of such an engine would be immense when compared to current products. Think of how many cars use the same engine....So you'll need a full on assembly line from the ground up. Not only that, but the engine does not YET offer a significant improvement in the efficiency department, and this is where ALL manufacturers are going to be looking in the new future. Engines are powerful enough, but they need to get more mileage out of them. An experimental engine will likely not be the answer for most companies.

However, the engine does offer a GREAT advancement in the performance department. There's a good possibility of a manufacturer picking it up as a sports car engine (a la mazda's rotary) or a racing team using it or a similar design. The problem will be the designers themselves....will they kill their own child looking to get rich? They will hold the liscensing, and anybody who wants to use it will have to pay royalties.....why pay royalties when you've got something that works, and works NOW? I doubt these guys have the capability to produce in mass quantities (may be wrong) so they will need somebody who can.

My guess? It ain't gonna happen. You'll probably see a few Radicals or other trackday cars with them as an experiment, but I doubt the project will ever leave the ground.

I really hope I'm wrong.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    I don't, and here's why:

the costs of gearing up for production of such an engine would be immense when compared to current products. Think of how many cars use the same engine....So you'll need a full on assembly line from the ground up. Not only that, but the engine does not YET offer a significant improvement in the efficiency department, and this is where ALL manufacturers are going to be looking in the new future. Engines are powerful enough, but they need to get more mileage out of them. An experimental engine will likely not be the answer for most companies.

However, the engine does offer a GREAT advancement in the performance department. There's a good possibility of a manufacturer picking it up as a sports car engine (a la mazda's rotary) or a racing team using it or a similar design. The problem will be the designers themselves....will they kill their own child looking to get rich? They will hold the liscensing, and anybody who wants to use it will have to pay royalties.....why pay royalties when you've got something that works, and works NOW? I doubt these guys have the capability to produce in mass quantities (may be wrong) so they will need somebody who can.

My guess? It ain't gonna happen. You'll probably see a few Radicals or other trackday cars with them as an experiment, but I doubt the project will ever leave the ground.

I really hope I'm wrong.
    I agree with you. There have been countless different engine designs and they never make it because of the reasons you just stated. However, this is a very innovative and interesting design. Never seen anything like this. It would be cool to see one of these engines in a race car at some point.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

True the chances of the 'Revteck' engine making it into the market seem slim, but if a company is looking for something different, and wants the edge it might focus its engineers on such an engine. Performance car companies, such as ferrari. An all production line car company that could try something new like this could be Mercedes, they are doing great as it is and something new like this could boost publicity and sales.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

Revetec Engine: Pure Genius

It really is quite amazing what this technology can do. I bought shares in this company over five years ago when it was still in its early stages. I saw the potential of teh engine then, and it is now beginning to bare fruit. It is good to see that they are dealing with Proton, and the Triton plus a swarm of other interesting new business developments.

If anyone is interested in buying some shares off me, send me an email at [email protected]. I am willing to offload the shares at a discounted price becuase I have so many of them.

While the move to alternative and hybrid motive power seems to be gaining momentum, it will be difficult for new types of pure internal combustion engines to gain headway. If the design is as lightweight and efficient as it seems, it may be a good idea for the inventor/developer to work with these hybrid concepts.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Seems the Aussies are coming up with a few good ideas. I read in the weekend paper about a South Aussie who has a new concept for electric motors which is way more efficient. Ill see if I can find more info.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

there is an aussie company that is doing something for a trucks engine, its hydrolic somethings change directions so the the oil used for breaking is stored pressurised and when the driver accelerates that oil is re-used to accelerate faster. it saves something like 60 feet of the bearking times 100 kph-0 and 27 or so % of fuel ecconomy. i cant remember if thats correct, but its very impressive.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

yeh i heard about this but i was on holidays so i didn't listen, that was a while back wasn't it?

Thread Information