Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very good indication of next M3

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    the I-6 is simply not powerful enough to propel all the unnecessary gadgets that need to be supplied in standard trim these days. The size of the block has its limits.
    Absolutely right. And by marketing rules, I guess one day all cars will have 16 to 22 cylinders.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Absolutely right. And by marketing rules, I guess one day all cars will have 16 to 22 cylinders.
    a V22 would be the one to go for...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

a V22 would be the one to go for...
    Just because the in-line version would be a bit hard to park.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Just because the in-line version would be a bit hard to park.
    no,no it would stretch from the front seat, to over the rear axle...with a 23 bearing crankshaft..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The I-6 is just about a thing of the past anyway... it's all down to some garbage about "packaging" or some such nonsense. What ever happened to the days when cars had big old sheds of engine bays, like the Bugatti Royale or that Pebble Beach-winning Merc with the elephant hood ornament.

The hood on the merc was damn near walrus-phalic. The designers apparently told the boys in the engine room to go wild; "we'll figure out where to put it."

These days there's not scarcely a cubic foot left under the hood of a car that's not engine or engine addenda, such as whopping great plastic slabs a' la modern Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    The I-6 is just about a thing of the past anyway... it's all down to some garbage about "packaging" or some such nonsense. What ever happened to the days when cars had big old sheds of engine bays, like the Bugatti Royale or that Pebble Beach-winning Merc with the elephant hood ornament.

The hood on the merc was damn near walrus-phalic. The designers apparently told the boys in the engine room to go wild; "we'll figure out where to put it."

These days there's not scarcely a cubic foot left under the hood of a car that's not engine or engine addenda, such as whopping great plastic slabs a' la modern Mercedes.
    it was not a Merc, it was a Daimler....

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Looks too whimpy. Needs more aggression.
    +1 looks too boring, needs some more agressive lines to make it stand out from other new bmw's
    United States of Trance

the I-6 is simply not powerful enough to propel all the unnecessary gadgets that need to be supplied in standard trim these days. The size of the block has its limits.
    what! I6 is da bomb

besides if they kill the I6 they might have to switch to V6 just like Nissan and who the hell wants a v6 in the BMW, Not Me! Besides V8 is way out of range for the current M3, though a good combo in Racing.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    what! I6 is da bomb

besides if they kill the I6 they might have to switch to V6 just like Nissan and who the hell wants a v6 in the BMW, Not Me! Besides V8 is way out of range for the current M3, though a good combo in Racing.

all is relative....even with 350 BHP or so the engine has to work too hard for all the gismos=wreight....in order to maintain the increased performance level expected all the time a new M3 sees the lgiht..

I think the next M3 will be an awsome car, only price and questionable style will stop it being the perfect one for all car. I hope they dont techify too much like they did with the M5. The V8 wil be great and the styling will come together as long as thet tidy up its rear end. Most journalists are saying it will have to be good to beat the RS4 but its not like BMW to let us down. I think 420hp through a slick 6 speed manual will be best option for BMW.
    autozine.org

You know, the M3 GTR (race car) uses a V-8 too. Just drop the one from the road going M3 GTR into the next M3 and I bet you no one would complain about I-6's.

I still miss that I-6 no matter what. But there's only so much it can put out N/A while still being reliable like the M3 is. I guess it's the only way.

you know if the want extra power, they could just add turbo option to the I6

and as engine gets bigger, cost rise as to why i do not want a v8 in the BMW since cost will go to the 60 grand range, and besides the M3 still is way more popular with an I6 than with another engine.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

and besides the M3 still is way more popular with an I6 than with another engine.
    I don't think that statement is particularly valid, as the M3 hasn't been offered with another engine since the original E30 (and that was a very different car, not intended for "mass production" like the current models), so how can you say that the M3 would have been more or less popular in 4/8 cylinder powered guises?
    Thanks for all the fish

you know if the want extra power, they could just add turbo option to the I6
    The M3 isn't offered with the turbo, and the twin turbo I-6 isn't a M3.

Understated styling is clearly not for posses, Typical BMW design, No doubt it'll be absolute golden to drive when its direct competitor is the RS4

Thread Information