Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Misho Theory

The Misho Theory

Seems like many people didn't get the chance to see the Misho theory in the other thread. So here is a dedicated thread for it, that I would like to get some important feedback from. That will let me know if the idea is getting any supporters so then maybe I can refine it and actually submit it to the webmasters to possible implement it.
    So read carefully and let me know what you think.

THE MISHO THEORY

Ever since this whole reputation system started and everyone seemed to be too busy discussing it and intensive discussions and dedicated threads have been made for it. But I wasnt really convinced with the rep system since its implementation and i knew that it doesnt really reflect the posting quality of the user. So I kept thinking, there must be another way to sort of interpret those numbers that we all have under our nicknames.
    Being an engineer, I am pretty good with maths. And being a just-graduated-not-working engineer, I have lots of free time !!
    So after some research and calculations, I was able to invent what i like to call "The Misho Ratio". Its a new way to sort of understand each member's reputation and how he got his rep number.
    The Misho ratio is basically the number of posts divided by the rep rating of the user. this will yield a posts per rep number (to be called the Misho number). this number shows how many posts that user needed to increase his rep rating by 1 point. obviously the lower ur Misho number, the better ur posts quality. because a user who needed 10 posts to increase his rating by 1 point, is (theoritically) better than a user who needed 60 posts to increase his rep rating by 1 point.
    the following is a list of some of the older users and their Misho numbers at the time this study was started:

henk4 1008/45 = 22.4

fpv_gtho 3610/41 = 88.0

Egg Nog 1260/50 = 25.2

crisis 1292/53 = 24.4

Misho 677/29 = 23.3

Matra 805/46 = 17.5

NoOne 801/44 = 18.2

Wouter 317/46 = 6.9

IBrake4Rainbows 234/42 = 5.6

this however is just the first phase of the Misho rep system. and it still has some weaknesses. this system is more suited to users with close number of posts. it is unfair to use this system to compare someone that has 5000 posts with someone that has 50 posts. why? because a brand new user with 20 posts and 10 rep points, has a Misho ratio of 2. a very low number that doesnt truly reflect his posts' quality.
    we can see how the best Misho numbers were reached by the 2 users that have substantially fewer posts that most of the other users on the list. (not to say that they dont deserve it).
    what could be done to overcome this problem, is an extensive study of all the users numbers (posts and rep rating). then a correlation could be done to result in "range factors". what these will do, is to sort of level out all our Misho numbers and make them comparable to eachother without having to worry about no. of posts.
    anyways, i hope this makes things a bit clearer (or perhaps more complicated!) to all of you. i am not sure if i will carry out the rest of the system tweaking in the near future or not. but if someone is interested, then maybe they can start it and i will help.

as for the range method thing, well i still havent fully developed it yet and i am not sure about how it will work. but yes, it will be kind of subjective. but thats not my personal subjectivity, the factors will be derived from the actual numbers we already have (no. of posts and rep ratings). it will be an empirical system, but that will at least reflect posting quality. (for those who dont know, empirical means non-scientific, rather developed from extensive research and fooling around!).
    we all saw how big fpv_gtho's Misho number is. is that coz he is a bad user ? its mainly due to the enormous number of posts he has. dont forget that the rep system was never fair anyways. new users started with 10, while old users had the previlage of gathering big rating numbers at the same time that other old users inactive at the start of the system, started with zero. we need a solution to put us all on the same field, if the rep system is to be of true relevance.
    to sort of explain what i meant by range factors, then we all need to calculate true Misho numbers. so calculate ur Misho number and then multiply it by the range u belong to. this will produce ur true Misho number.

200-500 posts multiply by 1.00
    501-1000 multiply by 0.85
    1001-1500 multiply by 0.75
    1501-2000 multiply by 0.65
    2001-2500 multiply by 0.55
    2501-3000 multiply by 0.45
    3001-3500 multiply by 0.35

please note that these factors are for explanatory purposes only and do not reflect what we are to use if the system ever gets implemented.

at the end, i will have to say that i never was a fan of the rep system anyways. reputation is earned and we always knew who deserved our respect and who doesn't, even ages before the rep system. i have though of this new system only to help all of those users who are really worried about the rep ratings gain a better, more realistic understanding of "reputation" !!

yes, you are right in saying that we all have to be on the same field for evaluation. there are a number of ways to do so, one of which is recalculating our rep ratings using standard methodology for all users. but i guess that will be too complicated to do now, hence the modification factors that i mentioned.

anyways, i reckon that the modification range factors are a bit of a complicated issue. but i truly think that the Misho ratio is a good representation of the rep ratings. as mentioned earlier, it shows how many posts it needed that user to obtain 1 rep point.

A user with 3000 posts cannot be compared to a user with 500 posts. Because he had a bigger opportunity to accumulate positive rep ratings.
    Another advantage of the modified Misho ratio is that it allows all users to be comparable to eachother regardless of how many posts they have or when they joined.

thanks a lot for your time and i apologise for the long and complicated posts.
    have fun improving ur Misho ratios !!!

Last edited by Misho; 04-07-2004 at 06:05 AM.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Carlover=10.8. That was my best Rating ever.

<scratches head> Why is there a need for a reputation system anyhow? Makes no realy sense to me.

I read all that and now my head is spinning. Thanks a lot Misho!
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

well , good effort my friend , I tried to read most of it and it sounds good & at least fair

btw you have a lot of free time
    * Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

complicated ? yes
    fair ? yes
    more representative of posting quality than current system in place ? yes

even if u dont fully understand it, its a better system that wont require any changes for users. It will remain the same way it is now, when you read a post u find deserving, just click and give a rep point. The Misho ratio gets calculated automatically.

I am never going to lose hope that this system gets implemented some day !
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

dont loose hope. its a great idea! fairly complicated, but once you grasp it its very simple no?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

just a final question to the moderators ...
    is it technically possible ?
    I mean the calculating system , ... etc.
    * Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

Pretty good idea misho but I dont see the point of it. I can see where you're going but it is much more explanatory the way it is. There doesn't need to be a Misho ratio because as you can see I have pretty much no rep points which means you can immeadiately tell I have very low quality posts and most new users wont know what it is so thats my two cents. If it said under the user name number of posts, rep pts, and also misho ratio, I guess it might work but I still would rather not have it.
    boobs

Here's one counter-Misho theory thing that I've noticed... an example.

I feel less compelled to give rep points to someone like M&A, Falcon, or crisis because I'd rather give points to good new members and contributors on the verge of 20 points. I feel that a new member who posts something of M&A quality should get loads of points, and that folks at higher up on the list shouln't get nearly as many.

Thus, an accurate Misho scale graph wouldn't really show a direct relationship.

The misho theory does sound like a good idea, and i do find that the Rep system isn't really that representitive, but why do we need to rate other users anyway? i know who makes good posts, and the new guys who make good posts (Motorsportnerd being a good example) only recently crossed the 20 point marker, despite making some seriously valid comments.

this is just my opinion, take it at face value, but i don't rely on the Rep system to make an opinion of someone, i doubt if i'd use the misho ratio as well.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Well when I was new here, it reaplly helped me sort out the bullshitters from the good people.

I still think you should make up your own opinion on users,even when new. Just because they have low rep doesn't necessarily mean there a bad poster, it could mean someone has taken offence to something they have said, or they could be as new as you!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

How new they are is on the joining date located above the rep rating, and I guess is also shown by the posting count.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    The misho theory does sound like a good idea, and i do find that the Rep system isn't really that representitive, but why do we need to rate other users anyway? i know who makes good posts, and the new guys who make good posts (Motorsportnerd being a good example) only recently crossed the 20 point marker, despite making some seriously valid comments.

this is just my opinion, take it at face value, but i don't rely on the Rep system to make an opinion of someone, i doubt if i'd use the misho ratio as well.
    Thanks, that makes me blush. I can think of one other problem with both the rep system and the Misho theory. Many users probably select the threads or sections they're interested in and stick with those. So, there may be very good quality posts in, say, the Australia forum, but not everybody reads them and thus rates them. That may partly explain why FPV has a comparatively low Misho rating. His posts are excellent and certainly would not reflect a low Misho rating. Perhaps it is because he posts predominately in the Australian forum and his posts in that section aren't read by many of the UCP users???
    For example, I didn't really encounter IB4R's posts till I posted in the Classic Cars section. Therefore, I didn't realise how good his posts were.
    I know I tended to stick to the Australian and Motorsport forums to start with. And I still haven't really waded into the European/Asian/American forums. There are heaps of threads and sections to wade through, and we all have our particular interests. Perhaps this reflects in otherwise excellent posters having comparatively low rep/Misho ratios?
    BTW, with 126 posts I have a Misho rating of 5.4, which is clearly out of whack with those who have 1000 posts or more. Perhaps a minimum number of posts will be needed before a Misho rating can be applied.

Thread Information