Thread: Project M1-11: The inside story of Lotus Elise

Project M1-11: The inside story of Lotus Elise

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ocidfeed&hl=en

Based on a Ducati? Who knew???

Really interesting video if you're a fan. It's nearly two and a half hours long though.

I know that show !!!! In my young years i always watched the re-run of the re-run of the re-run of this show Thanks man !!! Back then i couldnt understand much of it,but i can now

good video, factual . thanks
    autozine.org

"You're riding around on something which is... all tidy inside, you know? It's like a beautiful woman with a nice personality." - Richard Rackham, Lotus Chassis Designer

That is why everyone loves the Elise.

If I can ever afford one, and already own a Porsche, I'd love to have an Elise just for fun...

Anyway, Ill watch the vid with my friend tormorrow who is starting to like Lotus, mabye this will make him like it more then the Skyline.
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 11-16-2006 at 04:16 PM.

Great car, it's just shame that with time it's been getting fatter and fatter...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Great car, it's just shame that with time it's been getting fatter and fatter...
    Compare it with other cars, and its gained almost nothing.
    M3?
    Golf? I think Lotus will do just fine if they don't make it any bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Compare it with other cars, and its gained almost nothing.
    I disagree. If you think of the increased mass in terms of percentage increase over the original S1 Elise then the latest 'Yota engined Elises have actually increased as much if not more than the average car has.

The original had a stated kerb weight of 720kg with no options. The latest Elise R is 860kg sans options. That 140kg increase amounts to a 20% rise in fatness over the original standard S1. Not good.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    I disagree. If you think of the increased mass in terms of percentage increase over the original S1 Elise then the latest 'Yota engined Elises have actually increased as much if not more than the average car has.

The original had a stated kerb weight of 720kg with no options. The latest Elise R is 860kg sans options. That 140kg increase amounts to a 20% rise in fatness over the original standard S1. Not good.
    Wow Didn't know it was that bad. Though it is still light by todays standards...

Exactly. I was just about to post that info.For comparison one of the cars you mentioned, the M3, has only increased 7,5% its weight over the last generation (from E36 3-litre, 1460kg, to E46, 1570kg).

Furtermore the Elise is supposed to be an out and out sportscars, as opposed to the M3 (which is a kind of GT) or the Golf (a regular mid sized hatchback). It's normal that those gain weight with every generation, as costumers demand more and more gadgets, whereas one of the Elise's selling points is lightness.
    Visca Catalunya!

At least the weight is gained out of neccessity, rather than merely for the sake of having a larger vehicle.

I'd wager that most of the additional 140kg is due to legislative requirements - reinforcement & improvement of crash structures, impact points etc, and installation of the new engine.

True, if Lotus really wanted too, they could apply their engineering know-how to find ways of taking that weight out of the car again, but what is the point?

They are trying to make a profit on the car, and an extensive and expensive programme of re-engineering and re-tooling the factory for the sake of a few kgs doesn't make very much sense.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    At least the weight is gained out of neccessity, rather than merely for the sake of having a larger vehicle.

I'd wager that most of the additional 140kg is due to legislative requirements - reinforcement & improvement of crash structures, impact points etc, and installation of the new engine.

True, if Lotus really wanted too, they could apply their engineering know-how to find ways of taking that weight out of the car again, but what is the point?

They are trying to make a profit on the car, and an extensive and expensive programme of re-engineering and re-tooling the factory for the sake of a few kgs doesn't make very much sense.
    But you've got to reckon that the Lotus Elise has gone somewhat mainstream with equipment like electric windows and air conditioning, which all add weight.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    But you've got to reckon that the Lotus Elise has gone somewhat mainstream with equipment like electric windows and air conditioning, which all add weight.
    those are options are they not, they high end exiges don't have any of that, some if they have elctric windows only have it at the drivers side. do you really wnat the elise to be a underpowered tvr? whats the difference? image?

On another note its a shame to see british engineers restricted like they are in this video, foreign ownership has changed britains car industry foorever.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    On another note its a shame to see british engineers restricted like they are in this video, foreign ownership has changed britains car industry foorever.
    Could be worse, they could be still owned by GM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information