Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: multiple turbo diesel madness

multiple turbo diesel madness

not new news but:

Citroen C5 2.2 twin turbo diesel, first in-line 4 diesel to have two turbos:
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=220817

the Mercedes concept: triturbo:
    http://seriouswheels.com/cars/top-20...LK-320-CDI.htm

also consider the well known BMW 535d
    http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=100&i=9847

there is a real push in diesel technology, it started with high pressure injecotrs, common rail and now its also affected turbos, we had vtg (variable turbine geometry) and now we get more turbos for low and high end boost. where to next? Has anyone else got any opinion, examples of this phenomenon. Why do main stream petrol engines not have this much attention?
    Last edited by jediali; 11-18-2006 at 05:25 AM.
    autozine.org

it is not madness, it is common sense, especially when you take into account the current fuel bill.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    it is not madness, it is common sense, especially when you take into account the current fuel bill.
    maybe madness was an attention grabbing title: i think this development is good and i know that in europe most people buy diesels so its not a silly place to invest.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    maybe madness was an attention grabbing title: i think this development is good and i know that in europe most people buy diesels so its not a silly place to invest.
    my first diesel came in 1986 and I have driven those ever since, and have seen the developments first hand.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

the PSA engine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesn't the 325d already have 2 turbos? isn't it a 4 cilinder?

The tri-turbo on the slk works exactly the same as the bi-turbo, exept it as another row of cilinders, behing a V engine.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    Doesn't the 325d already have 2 turbos? isn't it a 4 cilinder?

The tri-turbo on the slk works exactly the same as the bi-turbo, exept it as another row of cilinders, behing a V engine.

the 325d comes with a 3 litre inline 6, producing 197 bhp from a single turbo. The 335D has the same engine producing 272 bhp with two turbos. In the new X3/X5 the engine is further improved to 286 BHP, while Hamann has just launched a 350 BHP version.

and here is the Mercedes SL CDi triturbo, as presented during the Geneva motorshow in 2005 as a concept. I have not heard anything new about that since.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about the 1.4-litre TSI engine?

And wasn't the first twin turbo 4 cylinder diesel, the Opel Vectra OPC Concept? Altough maybe it was only a twin turbo on paper...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    What about the 1.4-litre TSI engine?
    that runs on petrol....

that runs on petrol....
    But has a fuel consumption good enough to worry diesels...
    Visca Catalunya!

really? does it take into account that I pay about 30% less for diesel fuel?

and so does the Suzuki Alto or the Citroen C1 or the Daihatsu Cuore

really? does it take into account that I pay about 30% less for diesel fuel?
    Noise, vibrations, pleasure of driving...?

Oh and the Golf GT is a little bit faster than the Citroen C1... good enough to actually worry the diesels...
    Visca Catalunya!

Noise, vibrations, pleasure of driving...?
    I remember last year you promised that you have a ride in a modern BMW diesel...did you manage that? If not, do it first and then talk about the three things you mention there.

Thread Information