View Poll Results: Which car will win the 2006 Wheels Car of the Year.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alfa Romeo 159

5 8.47%
  • Audi Q7

3 5.08%
  • BMW 3-series Coupe

6 10.17%
  • Fiat Punto

4 6.78%
  • Holden Commodore VE

15 25.42%
  • Holden Statesman/Caprice WM

9 15.25%
  • Holden Captiva

0 0%
  • Honda Legend

3 5.08%
  • Mazda CX-7

2 3.39%
  • Mercedes S-Class

3 5.08%
  • Toyota Camry

1 1.69%
  • Toyota Aurion

6 10.17%
  • Toyota RAV4

0 0%
  • VW Passat

1 1.69%
  • VW Jetta

1 1.69%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Wheels Car of the Year: what will win in a very strong field?

Yeoow has it been posted yet? The VE won..not suprisingly lol
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Your thoughts of falcon commodore owners are hoons bogans and nothing more. Is that fair? Guess i'm a hoon and bogan then.
    You and me both then, mate. When are you planning to grow a mullet? And how soon do we see the pics of you driving one handed with a VB in one hand and a smokescreen out the back?

Safety anyone that moans about a 4.5/5 ratting has issues.
    It'd be a full 5/5 if side airbags were standard across the range. Next year in the first update I'd imagine. But, you're right, no one can complain.
    To quote Wheels in its summary on why the VE won COTY: "A bank-vault body, on the other hand, promises protection in all directions".
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 01-24-2007 at 03:47 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I've read some of the COTY article in this months Wheels magazine.

Some of the magazines comments...
    ON the Commodore VE: they spend a bit of time talking about the cars faults. However, in the final analysis "From the lushly absorbent control of the Omega, through the crispness of the Calais and the eagerness of the SS, all the way to the raucous, upstart athleticism of the HSVs, the VE is a range that covers an amazing spectrum." They particularly praise the car's safety (with the sole exception of the dual airbags in the Omega), its ESP system and its dynamics.
    The Toyota Aurion lost for one very big reason: "Its poor VDC is the major issue"...apparantly it doesn't work at all well on dirt and is inconsistent on the road. Quote: "the judges found that the non-switchable system...is poorly set up for Australian conditions. ...[and it] destabilised the Aurion's on-the-limit behaviour over bitumen." Also, on dirt "at least one judge, exploring the ability of the systemon Lang Lang's dirt, left the road and slapped...[a] white plastic post with the left-hand passenger door".
    Ouch - can't be good considering how much of Australia's road are dirt roads.
    So, Aurion lost to the Commodore primarily on the safety criteria, but was also behind on the function criteria.
    To the BMW: "In the final analysis, the vexed question of value-for-money tripped the 3-series coupe at the final hurdle". No surprises there. However, "That such a compact coupe can deliver comfort and, particularly, the turbo version, vast reserves of performance and dynamic ability, tells a powerful story".
    So, that's a very quick summary.

I note also that the magazine, yet again, has not published how the judges voted. From the words, it doesn't sound like it was very close. I'd love to see the summaries from each of the vote judges. They won't all have said the same thing or given the same points.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    You and me both then, mate. When are you planning to grow a mullet? And how soon do we see the pics of you driving one handed with a VB in one hand and a smokescreen out the back?

It'd be a full 5/5 if side airbags were standard across the range. Next year in the first update I'd imagine.
    Hang on we are both going too buy a Aurion or 380
    Can i drive with a Diet coke covered with a VB cooler And can my car smoke for me.. The mullet i had one when i was 13 one handed driving i can do that.

Ah so that was why it mist the 5.. I liked the removable front the VE has if it gets crashed it off and on with a new one, they won some award with it can't remember much about it.

I've read some of the COTY article in this months Wheels magazine.

Some of the magazines comments...
    ON the Commodore VE: they spend a bit of time talking about the cars faults. However, in the final analysis "From the lushly absorbent control of the Omega, through the crispness of the Calais and the eagerness of the SS, all the way to the raucous, upstart athleticism of the HSVs, the VE is a range that covers an amazing spectrum." They particularly praise the car's safety (with the sole exception of the dual airbags in the Omega), its ESP system and its dynamics.
    The Toyota Aurion lost for one very big reason: "Its poor VDC is the major issue"...apparantly it doesn't work at all well on dirt and is inconsistent on the road. Quote: "the judges found that the non-switchable system...is poorly set up for Australian conditions. ...[and it] destabilised the Aurion's on-the-limit behaviour over bitumen." Also, on dirt "at least one judge, exploring the ability of the systemon Lang Lang's dirt, left the road and slapped...[a] white plastic post with the left-hand passenger door".
    Ouch - can't be good considering how much of Australia's road are dirt roads.
    So, Aurion lost to the Commodore primarily on the safety criteria, but was also behind on the function criteria.
    To the BMW: "In the final analysis, the vexed question of value-for-money tripped the 3-series coupe at the final hurdle". No surprises there. However, "That such a compact coupe can deliver comfort and, particularly, the turbo version, vast reserves of performance and dynamic ability, tells a powerful story".
    So, that's a very quick summary.

I note also that the magazine, yet again, has not published how the judges voted. From the words, it doesn't sound like it was very close. I'd love to see the summaries from each of the vote judges. They won't all have said the same thing or given the same points.
    We could have took it too our private test track and tried it out Then we could have told wheels there tossers.
    I read somewhere also about it being close but you also got the feeling it wasnt as close as they tried too make it out too be.

With Airbags the VE should at least come with 4 standard and then have curtain as option for starters.

When are you planning to grow a mullet?
    Im already half way there! Just need to trim the front

Almost seems like a joke in retrospect the 3 series coupe made it that far.

Can i drive with a Diet coke covered with a VB cooler And can my car smoke for me..
    Not if we're going to maintain the full Falcodore bogan/hoon image. VB it must be...

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    The summary on the BMW was very positive. If it had been cheaper (I don't know how much cheaper, but lets say $20K for arguments sake), it might have gone even closer.

We could have took it too our private test track and tried it out Then we could have told wheels there tossers.
    More likely would've proved that the journos can drive better than I can.

I read somewhere also about it being close but you also got the feeling it wasnt as close as they tried too make it out too be.
    That's why I wish they'd publish the tables showing what judge voted for what and how many points they gave each car (not just the top 3) in each catagory.
    Motor does this in PCOTY - so why not Wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Im already half way there! Just need to trim the front

Can we see
    Not if we're going to maintain the full Falcodore bogan/hoon image. VB it must be...
    ok i try hard

Um, I was responding tongue in cheek to thatdbeme. And letting everyone know the official result. Sorry for any offensive.
    You've probably read most of my comments on the Commodore and Wheels COTY. I haven't actually said that the choice of the Commodore a bad choice at any point. I'll make it really, really clear - I actually think the V8 Commodores are excellent cars and the V6 cars with the 5-speed also are pretty good. And I've said that in the past.

Edit: I can see how the statement "Well - - I guess you won't be buying Wheels again." could be misinterpreted. Bad English on my part. I definitely won't stop buying Wheels (I bought the COTY issue today in fact) - I was referring to the previous poster. I guess I should've just announced the official result in the first post and then given a tongue in cheek reponse to thatbeme in the next post. If the mods want to clean my post and make it into two separate posts up - feel free. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.
    Well you managed to make me look stupid, so we're even

I'll buy the issue and pour over it tomorrow because, let's face it, it's better than doing any housework as such.

It's my mistake so don't worry too much about how you were interpreted - this is why we invented smilies

I wonder how bad the rest of the years cars must have been to warrant a 3 Series COUPE being in the final three - it'd have to be one truly fantastic package to overcome the serious value issue that comes straight off the bat - and eventually killed it.

Toyota's been copping a lot of flak recently in regards to VDC set up - Lexus even more so for it's "corrective steering" controls - WTF? i think i know where i want the car to go more than the car itself - but i do have to say i'm surprised that turned out to be it's eventual downfall. although to be fair i never thought it would make it all the way.

The Commodore is a no-brain decision. it keeps the status quo and makes how many commodores now that have all new releases and won COTY - like 5?

I count VL, VN, VS, VT, and VE?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

More likely would've proved that the journos can drive better than I can.

That's why I wish they'd publish the tables showing what judge voted for what and how many points they gave each car (not just the top 3) in each catagory.
    Motor does this in PCOTY - so why not Wheels?
    They just think they can drive better then us..

Might be getting like the logies and academy awards never show seconds or votes soon.

Isnt this strange?.

Your still strechting it out here..
    80% of the base model cars in the country are sold with a 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto.
    With engines, I know all about your thought on pushrod motors What was it you said inefficient low tech crap would you say that on the 300c forums? But you think the 300c is gold? Big questions there on your ability's too be unbiased when making comments about commodore. Or falcon for that matter... Your thoughts of falcon commodore owners are hoons bogans and nothing more. Is that fair? Guess i'm a hoon and bogan then.
    So when it comes too your comments they always carry a large part of biased with them. Why because you drive a FWD Honda and everybody tells me it's not a real car because it's FWD... So you need too hate the RWD cars now? I'll tell you something as i have learnt, Try and make a gap in the middle and go on it. I'm open too anything but you have a real nasty spiteful hate for 2 but 1 more so.

Back too the V6 with 5 speed.. Better too keep up on the leaders then lag behind like the base model engine transmission does.
    V8 engines are very good even for pushrod..
    As for suspension ride etc it's not just keeping up at bare minimum it's ahead bare minimum.
    Safety anyone that moans about a 4.5/5 ratting has issues.

But what do you want?

Holden too design a 500kg car that's got the strength of a hummer? Or a engine that's 1lt large electric petrol that runs @ 1.1l/100km but has 400kw and 700Nm? Drives by itself sit back and have a smoke?.. When it comes too the large car in this market they are all close together because it doesn't offer a advantage too move 10 generation ahead of the competition.. You really nit pick.

I'm sure you enjoy driving your Honda Accord around the ACT, And i'm sure you love it, I might also. But think of this for ever person you bag or degrade because you say you get the same for driving a honda Accord FWD remember this it will never end when it's always a gotta get back at you thing. You got upset because someone might have said your un Australian because you don't drive a Commodore or Falcon.. Think about how you felt and then think about the comments you say about Falcon Commodore drivers before you cry fowl?.

I'm not here too fight with you, You can love what you want and hate what you want, Just don't let the hate eat you when you make rude and nasty comments as i have seen in other places.
    man it really seems like your here to fight with me.
    im just expressing an opinion about the wheels car of the year award. why is it so personal?? anyway didnt update my profile, i had a really good year last year and i now drive a Merc E55 AMG and the Accord is now in the hands a relative, it was good to me though. So i now drive a RWD V8 however i believe FWD, RWD and AWD all have valid applications. Im just here expressing an opinion, get a life.
    there isnt any point posting under this profile anymore, you seem to have a lot of stress in your life and im sorry about that. i dont want to add to it

I don't suppose it would be too much trouble to Egg Nog your E55 for us?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Toyota's been copping a lot of flak recently in regards to VDC set up - Lexus even more so for it's "corrective steering" controls - WTF? i think i know where i want the car to go more than the car itself - but i do have to say i'm surprised that turned out to be it's eventual downfall. although to be fair i never thought it would make it all the way.
    The VDC wasn't its only downfall, just its major one - but I'll let you read the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    The Commodore is a no-brain decision. it keeps the status quo and makes how many commodores now that have all new releases and won COTY - like 5?
    I count VL, VN, VS, VT, and VE?
    Also VR - which everyone forgets about. And I assume you mean VB rather than VL.

Thread Information