Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hp displacement ratio

It was a typo when I wrote F=Mx(AxA)

Then he asked what A stood for.. that is when I said "Force is equal to mass times acceleration squared"

it was a joke... Because I knew that I had written it wrong and him asking what A stands for (because if A=acceleration then F=Mx(AxA) is wrong)

get it? It is pretty lame...
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    It was a typo when I wrote F=Mx(AxA)

Then he asked what A stood for.. that is when I said "Force is equal to mass times acceleration squared"

it was a joke... Because I knew that I had written it wrong and him asking what A stands for (because if A=acceleration then F=Mx(AxA) is wrong)

get it? It is pretty lame...
    no way.

how do you mistype F=Mx(AxA)... there are brackets in it!!
    you were also trying to clarify a previous incorrect statement!
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    no way.

how do you mistype F=Mx(AxA)... there are brackets in it!!
    you were also trying to clarify a previous incorrect statement!
    If you want to discuss this use the PM system...

It was a typo I am not accustomed to using a forum text application to write formulas. Having a keyboard with four functions per button doesn't help much either.

High HP/L doesn't make an engine better than others
    likewise an engine with a lower HP/L doesn't mean it is worse.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

High HP/L doesn't make an engine better than others
    likewise an engine with a lower HP/L doesn't mean it is worse.
    Say what you want, but when displacement is the primary factor affecting power and torque, people will always draw conclusions. Nobody in their sane mind uses HP/L as anything more than a gauge for comparing various engines and how effective they are at making power.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Say what you want, but when displacement is the primary factor affecting power and torque,

I would rather say that airflow is the primary factor affecting power and torque.

Foreced induction affect air flow (increasing hp and torque)

Increased cylindervolum affect air flow(increasing hp and torque)

Airflow is the factor deciding how mutch fuel can runn trough the engine and therfor deciding the power and torque.

By the way I think the answer is gasturbines with the late f1 turbo engines from the 80's as runner up.

The late 80s turbos were quite impressive though at least part of their very high HP/L was due to the very volatile fuel they used. Those engines would not have produced as much power on the fuel run in F1 today.
    Also, just about tying the F1 cars are the current crop of Top Fuel motors. They can produce upwards of 8000+ hp out of 8L of displacement. They also run on a very volatile fuel. Not bad for a pushrod motor and certainly the most powerful of the series race motors (not counting things like the salt flat cars or the tractor pull guys who use lots of motors).

Quote Originally Posted by stian1979
    I would rather say that airflow is the primary factor affecting power and torque.

Foreced induction affect air flow (increasing hp and torque)

Increased cylindervolum affect air flow(increasing hp and torque)

Airflow is the factor deciding how mutch fuel can runn trough the engine and therfor deciding the power and torque.

By the way I think the answer is gasturbines with the late f1 turbo engines from the 80's as runner up.
    I would have to say VE is the primary factor affecting Torque and that RPM is the primary factor of Power. You need to use both. The physical displacement of an engine has little to do with it's torque or power, and airflow only gives you a theoretical "ballpark" max figure for both.

VE tells you exactly how much air you have in the cylinders after all the valves are closed to actually burn any fuel, thus telling you how much torque can be made.

Torque is however meaningless with out a time componant and that is where RPM comes in, giving you a Power figure.

If you want to check this try looking at a VE over RPM graph beside a Torque over RPM graph and notice that they have the same shape.

The physical displacement of an engine has little to do with it's torque or power
    i kind of disagree:
    pb= bhp
    bmep=...you know, its related highly to torque
    Vd=displacement
    N=rpm
    X=2 for for 4 stroke, 1 for 2 stroke
    Attached Images Attached Images
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    i kind of disagree:
    pb= bhp
    bmep=...you know, its related highly to torque
    Vd=displacement
    N=rpm
    X=2 for for 4 stroke, 1 for 2 stroke
    Yes that is used when you don't know the VE.

You need to know the displacement but the VE is the key.

Also the BMEP is also a great thing to know (especially for exhaust tuning) But it is only a ballpark figure.

Yes that is used when you don't know the VE.

You need to know the displacement but the VE is the key.

Also the BMEP is also a great thing to know (especially for exhaust tuning) But it is only a ballpark figure.
    There are a few efficencies that can act as multipliers of this expression for power, one of these is VE. bmep is vital! this is an instantaneous (not integral) equation therefore has its limitations but it cannot be ignored. can you describe an expression (or show one) that does not include rpm, bmep and displacement? power is more than VE..VE is an optional part of this equation... so what do you use when you know the VE? ignore N,X,bmep and Vd? i would doubt it.

EDIT; i just reminded myself the bmep equation at the bottom of my picture includes VE as a necessary value.
    Last edited by jediali; 12-05-2006 at 08:37 AM.
    autozine.org

Yeah VE is a necessary value to calculate BMEP. To figure the power of an engine all you need to know is what torque it produces at what rpm.

If you use imperial units then HP=(Torque in lbs-ft*RPM)/(16500/Pi)
    If you use SI units then W=(Torque in Nm*RPS*2*Pi)

Thread Information