Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GT Racing In Rain

Quote Originally Posted by man 430gt
    Wow, I wander what they see in it? Expect getting pretty close to the action
    Watching races for free, be part of the action, learning, socializing with drivers, etc..
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Watching races for free, be part of the action, learning, socializing with drivers, etc..
    Well I got one out of 4
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

I actually agree with Coventry. They stopped it pretty quick, all things considered. Allow 10 seconds between communications in the carnage, which is entirely possible and reasonable (a couple of "say again" moments and the shock of thinking you're going to have to take your marshal buddy home in a body bag!!) and you have your delay!

I also think he's right about driver responsibility - sure, the drivers will keep the hammer down, but at their own risk! Worse, at the risk of other drivers out on the circuit. I mean, that in car footage is crazy - the guy can't see a damned thing and you can hear him gassing the engine, trying to give it some more, just before he slides! What a loony toon!!! Not a thought for the fact he KNOWS the track is blocked, he can't see a thing and he DOESN'T know what's blocking it! Utterly irresponsible. I'm sure all racing drivers would've done the same, but it doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it the official's fault!

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    This isn't GTR2, so the cars are hardly going to just bounce off one another.
    My point was that 50% of the car getting ripped off or a suspension torn off in a crash like that was pretty surprising.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    My point was that 50% of the car getting ripped off or a suspension torn off in a crash like that was pretty surprising.
    Not really. It's a very high spec racing car. They're designed so that things will rip off in accident and absorb energy.

An accident like that Bathurst (not in the rain but that sort of car-on-car contact) killed a driver this year.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    An accident like that Bathurst (not in the rain but that sort of car-on-car contact) killed a driver this year.
    That is a tragic demonstration of my earlier point - people have come to expect race cars to just bounce of things, and everyone survives because "carbon fibre" is involved - that is just not the case.

These cars are not indestructible - in fact they are designed to destruct by way of absorbing the impact energy better.
    Thanks for all the fish

Having read these comments, I think most people are getting their quota of exercise by leaping to conclusions. Let's face it, the only evidence we have is a piece of edited video, hardly a complete picture. Given the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, yes, the race should have been stopped sooner. Water across the track, be it static or flowing, is usually enough to cause consideration of that action. It should not have come as a complete surprise to the clerk of the course because storms of that intensity normally take some time to build up, but you can't call the race off because you reckon it's going to rain. Did the cotc know he had water across the track? We don't know, and thunderstorms can wreak havoc with best communications systems. It's a long time since I have been to Oulton (about 40 years), so I can"t remember whether the control area can see all of the course, so if communications were down & the cotc cannot see , he may have been blissfully unaware what was happening. The chief marshall at that post must have thought that the race was being slowed or stopped, because he has men on the track which he almost certainly would not have had he known what was coming over the hill! The drivers didn't see the flags? Well 2 did, because thy go through unscathed at reduced speed. Perhaps a comedy of errors, perhaps one of those things which happen too quickly to control properly, but if nobody was hurt, we can read, mark, learn & inwardly diegest, and have a good laugh.
    To finish first, first you have to finish. Frank Gardener

A race is won on the last lap, not the first. Same Bloke

why do the allow the race to co one in this severe rain
    Ferrari Is The Best

Are you stupid or something? ...... The rain just hit, they were on slicks, drivers were flying down the hill.....
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information